IGNORED

Flashback 3 at E3? Is it real?

This product should be boycotted.

They "Atari" have failed to listen!.

It needs either a cartridge slot or SD. Without at least one of these it is a fail!.

Yes I have heard the arguments for not having a cartridge slot.

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla .... we would get phone calls asking for support for 30 year old games ... Bla Bla Bla

This is a stupid argument that stinks to high heaven.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

They could outsource the games support to Atari Age users. There is support being provided for 30 year games here everyday.

At some point somebody will see the huge demand for a 2600 or 7800 console with SD support. It might even be the Legacy guys, who knows? I would not be really surprised to see it still included on this FB3 even though we have heard otherwise.

just got a crazy, sleep deprived idea. Legacy could release a clone with ONE game on it, or whatever game they want that isn't licensed to anyone but them, and have a solder pad on the inside, with instructions on how to add the slot afterwards by adding this particular part, also on sale at Legacy. It could be 2600 compatible.

Kinda like what they did with the FB2 and the cart slot pads. Just an idea.

At some point somebody will see the huge demand for a 2600 or 7800 console with SD support. It might even be the Legacy guys, who knows? I would not be really surprised to see it still included on this FB3 even though we have heard otherwise.

just got a crazy, sleep deprived idea. Legacy could release a clone with ONE game on it, or whatever game they want that isn't licensed to anyone but them, and have a solder pad on the inside, with instructions on how to add the slot afterwards by adding this particular part, also on sale at Legacy. It could be 2600 compatible.

Kinda like what they did with the FB2 and the cart slot pads. Just an idea.

That's not a bad idea with a clone unit. Your post got me thinking, instead of trying to work with atari maybe (I know it is a very big long shot) they should try working with somebody else who use to make 2600 compatible software, like maybe Activision? Can you image having a Flashback unit (obviously would need to be called something else) That was nothing but 2600 Activision titles. They could redesign the case and controllers a little, put an Activision logo on it, and use classic Activision styling on the box, and have the solder pads for the SD card slot. I could see that selling like crazy. They could call the system the Activision VCES (Video Computer Entertainment System). Maybe the controller could look similar to these controllers:

09045011160658464.jpg

Just a thought.

As much as I'm a fan of this stuff, I think "huge demand" is ridiculous. I think the "huge demand" part is filled sufficiently by the various Atari Classics software collections out for umpteen systems. The average consumer doesn't give a rat's ass about a 2600 (let alone a 2600/7800, since most people don't even know what a 7800 is) with an SD card slot. We sure do, but I'm not sure there's a large enough demand outside of us to justify a mass market product. Most of that demand was probably already met with the first two Flashbacks, and again, for the average consumer who has a vague memory of the 2600, all the software products out there work just fine. It's probably why Atari went so cheap on the Flashback 3 thing, they don't see a large enough audience for it anymore to justify additional investment.

The only such product that would probably generate big mass market appeal at this point again would be a NES-type system straight from Nintendo, and even that would probably peter out fairly quickly after the initial influx of mass interest. Let's face it, the only discriminating consumers are us, where we demand pixel perfect emulation and authentic controls. For everyone else, even an iPad's touchscreen is sufficient.

• Like 2

As much as I'm a fan of this stuff, I think "huge demand" is ridiculous. I think the "huge demand" part is filled sufficiently by the various Atari Classics software collections out for umpteen systems. The average consumer doesn't give a rat's ass about a 2600 (let alone a 2600/7800, since most people don't even know what a 7800 is) with an SD card slot. We sure do, but I'm not sure there's a large enough demand outside of us to justify a mass market product. Most of that demand was probably already met with the first two Flashbacks, and again, for the average consumer who has a vague memory of the 2600, all the software products out there work just fine. It's probably why Atari went so cheap on the Flashback 3 thing, they don't see a large enough audience for it anymore to justify additional investment.

The only such product that would probably generate big mass market appeal at this point again would be a NES-type system straight from Nintendo, and even that would probably peter out fairly quickly after the initial influx of mass interest. Let's face it, the only discriminating consumers are us, where we demand pixel perfect emulation and authentic controls. For everyone else, even an iPad's touchscreen is sufficient.

I will say "huge demand" is a subjective term. Look at it this way, if the average consumer doesn't give a rat's ass about this stuff, then why was there so many knock off FB2 made and sold this past Xmas season? Heck at first it was thought to be over stock but it turned out to be knock offs and yet these stores were selling out of these devices the consumers don't care about (ref. Original Flashback2 Sighting... $24.99). Knock offs aren't made just because someone can make them. They are made because someone saw a niche in the market to make money.

As the economy keeps getting worse, more and more people will start getting more nostalgic about the "good time" and I think you will see a slight rise in the sales of nostalgic devices like the FB line (assuming people have the money to spend). Just a thought.

As much as I'm a fan of this stuff, I think "huge demand" is ridiculous. I think the "huge demand" part is filled sufficiently by the various Atari Classics software collections out for umpteen systems. The average consumer doesn't give a rat's ass about a 2600 (let alone a 2600/7800, since most people don't even know what a 7800 is) with an SD card slot. We sure do, but I'm not sure there's a large enough demand outside of us to justify a mass market product.

I couldn't agree with you more. We do see things through Atari-colored glasses around here, which is 100% different than what the general public thinks. Hell, there was little to no demand for the 7800 when it originally came out. Those who are heavily into older gaming might like an SD-card slot Atari, but it is not enough for a company like to release it at all. Would sell like hotcakes on the AtariAge store though!

Not on the 2005 "Michele" chip, but I did a new design in 2007, its the "Toby" core, has SD Card support and LCD support, it was designed for the Flashback portable, but given recent developments, I am considering an non-Atari branded product release this fall, gotta finish up other obligations first and we'll see...

Are Legacy allowed to produce their own products based on the Atari on a chip just without the Atari Branding? Thinking out loud taking the Atari on a chip you have half a 7800 what about combining this with the recent 7800 expansion + new 7800 core for an all in one system?

Barnie

I would sign up for one.

hmmmmmm......

I would sign up for one of these as well.

How about some 5200 love too?

I think it would be much simpler to simply release it with a cartridge slot, rather than SD slot. There's not much technical support necessary to insert a 2600 cartridge. The Harmony Cart could be used for SD functionality, and then it's not a support issue for the console. Basically, I want a brand new 2600 with a cartridge slot (that works with the Harmony Cart) and some kick-ass S-video/Composite/Component or whatever. This wouldn't require much hardware development over what's been done with the FB2, eh?

• Like 2

I think it would be much simpler to simply release it with a cartridge slot, rather than SD slot. There's not much technical support necessary to insert a 2600 cartridge. The Harmony Cart could be used for SD functionality, and then it's not a support issue for the console. Basically, I want a brand new 2600 with a cartridge slot (that works with the Harmony Cart) and some kick-ass S-video/Composite/Component or whatever. This wouldn't require much hardware development over what's been done with the FB2, eh?

This ^

I've just read through this whole thread, and I've come to similar conclusions - I'm not paying $60 if it's not from Legacy, and I think I'll stick to portable Atari gaming through the Chrome browser (or my Lynx, but that's different).

I don't see why the Activision flashback console wouldn't work. There has been other companies release their games on a plug and play type device. Like Konami

From what I have seen and heard though, Atari seems to be a huge douchebag, and it seems like it always has been.

That's not a bad idea with a clone unit. Your post got me thinking, instead of trying to work with atari maybe (I know it is a very big long shot) they should try working with somebody else who use to make 2600 compatible software, like maybe Activision? Can you image having a Flashback unit (obviously would need to be called something else) That was nothing but 2600 Activision titles. They could redesign the case and controllers a little, put an Activision logo on it, and use classic Activision styling on the box, and have the solder pads for the SD card slot. I could see that selling like crazy. They could call the system the Activision VCES (Video Computer Entertainment System). Maybe the controller could look similar to these controllers:

09045011160658464.jpg

Just a thought.

VECES: it's everywhere :)

Let's face it, the only discriminating consumers are us, where we demand pixel perfect emulation and authentic controls. For everyone else, even an iPad's touchscreen is sufficient.

I may not be "everyone else", but I'm really pretty happy with my Samsung Epic running Stella and tricked out with the "Dark Rosewood" skin from DecalGirl and the Game Gripper. Yes, it means I'm controlling Atari games with a Nintendo-style d-pad and buttons, but it's not like a Legacy-developed portable is going to have those big, chunky, blister-inducing sticks we all love. All I'm missing so far is the paddle.

Of course, I'd buy another Legacy AOAC product if the price weren't too far out of line with the others they've produced or other entries in new Atari market segments they pursue. Our basement flooded so badly last night that the shelving unit I had most of my P'n'P collection on tipped over (70s-era buoyant plastic shelving = epic FAIL), and I'm pretty sure I lost my NIB FB2. Still got my AV-modded 4-switcher and Harmony cart, but to be honest, that's kind of a pain to set up even with A/V. Whipping out my phone is a lot easier.

Our basement flooded so badly last night that the shelving unit I had most of my P'n'P collection on tipped over (70s-era buoyant plastic shelving = epic FAIL), and I'm pretty sure I lost my NIB FB2. Still got my AV-modded 4-switcher and Harmony cart, but to be honest, that's kind of a pain to set up even with A/V. Whipping out my phone is a lot easier.

Ouch. Let it dry out, it may still be playable. Be careful with the power supply, they don't dry easy. Sorry to hear about this mishap. You still have neat hardware, though. I'd set up the 4-banger and keep it set up :D

Our basement flooded so badly last night that the shelving unit I had most of my P'n'P collection on tipped over (70s-era buoyant plastic shelving = epic FAIL), and I'm pretty sure I lost my NIB FB2. Still got my AV-modded 4-switcher and Harmony cart, but to be honest, that's kind of a pain to set up even with A/V. Whipping out my phone is a lot easier.

Ouch. Let it dry out, it may still be playable. Be careful with the power supply, they don't dry easy. Sorry to hear about this mishap. You still have neat hardware, though. I'd set up the 4-banger and keep it set up :D

Yep, drying out is the plan, and already being implemented. As for the 4-banger,I have a 4-port switchbox on our TV... PS2, Wii, Xbox 360 and DVD player. At some point I am going to lose the DVD player, and if we don't end up getting a PS3, the Atari would be a contender. But I'm too old to sit on a hardwood floor in front of the TV... unless I pick up development again or acquire some wireless 2600 controllers somehow, I don't see myself using the Atari on a regular basis.

Just something you can do to sit far away from a 2600, the 2600 used super common 9-pin plugs and you can get a long cable with one male end and one female end. Plug the stick/any controller into the end that looks right, and plug the other end into the 2600. It works great. I use it all the tine for my Atari gaming and I can sit about 10-12 feet away from my Atari/Television. :) A VCES from Activision is a great idea! I don't have any Flashbacks so I don't know how they are. :|