IGNORED

Flashback 3 at E3? Is it real?

Here is my written and video review for the Atari Flashback 3: http://www.armchaira...m/neo/node/4346

Just some minor comments on your (written) review:

- The name of the company is "AtGames," not "AT Games." I'm not sure where people have been getting "AT Games," but "AtGames" is how it's written in their press releases and on their packaging. Their website omits the camelcase and goes with "Atgames."

- The FB2+ was not created for any sort of inventory clearance reasons. It was specifically ordered by General Mills for a product promotion. I have one of the Honey Nut Cheerios boxes with the promo.

onmode-ky

You're correct, it's AtGames. I had verified it too because I had seen it written a variety of ways, but I failed to carry the correction over. Thanks for the catch. Thanks too for the link to the "official word" on the FB2+.

Likewise, you had mentioned the portable but actually we had proposed both a portable and our own Flashback 3 to Atari over that timeframe leading up to the 2+ request from them. Additionally it wasn't us that chose not to pursue either, it was Atari.

Likewise, you had mentioned the portable but actually we had proposed both a portable and our own Flashback 3 to Atari over that timeframe leading up to the 2+ request from them. Additionally it wasn't us that chose not to pursue either, it was Atari.

I'll update about the Flashback 3, thanks. It should be clear as written that it was Atari who chose not to pursue it, not you guys.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

Here is my written and video review for the Atari Flashback 3: http://www.armchaira...m/neo/node/4346

Thanks for the comprehensive review! :thumbsup:

I'm considering buying one once it's available in Europe (FB2 and FB2+ were never released in PAL format :( ). Anyway, I think that omitting the color/b&w switch was an unwise choice, since later games use that switch for different purposes. How are you supposed to switch to the status screen in "Secret Quest"? Was the rom hacked to use a different switch or they just overlooked that?

Just re-reading, the statement "with only superficial involvement from LEG" isn't accurate. LEG had zero involvement. Curt as an individual was asked to weigh in, but the product had already been designed and set at that point, so any advice was moot.

Updated for additional clarity. Thanks.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

Great question, alex_79, and something I didn't think to check. I'll try to check it tonight and report back. Hopefully it's not by using the FB 3's pause feature a la how the 7800 can access it...

AFAIK no substitute was given.

I'm doing a side by side comparison between it and an actual 2600 and I haven't been happy so far with the software based emulator they're using. Cycles are off (some games are a little too fast), sounds are off, and colors are off. I'll be posting a full review over at VGEVO once I haver more time to finish it up, as I'm trying to be as detailed as possible.

RE: Secret Quest, no matter what I tried, I could not access the status screen, so I'm not sure if AT Games accounted for that! I'm going to try and get the official word from my contact at AT Games, but that seems a bit sloppy to me that they went to the trouble of programming a Pause function into their emulator (which works well), but they chose not to replicate the b/w switch in some manner (or have some workaround). Slight speed and color variations are one thing, but leaving out critical functionality is another. I'll keep everyone posted if/when I hear back...

• Like 1

I got my updates and it's mostly very good news.

• I tried a fourth set of paddles and they work perfectly with the paddle games. You simply unplug the joystick and plug in the paddles and they work as they should. I have no idea why the other three sets did not work correctly, but I'll re-test on real hardware to make sure they didn't go bad, which is certainly possible.
  • The poster is staying as-is. It's rights-cleared.
  • They are aware of the issue with no way to access the status screen in "Secret Quest" and are, quote: "...swapping that game out next year for the very reason you noticed." So that's certainly one negative.

I got my updates and it's mostly very good news.

• The poster is staying as-is. It's rights-cleared.

Actually its not. What's happening is attribution to the original poster author is being added.

I can only go by what they just told me, "All things are cleared and we are keeping the poster." We'll know for sure once it gets a wide release. Perhaps the vagueness of the statement reflects exactly what you just stated, that the poster is staying, just with attribution.

maybe i missed it - but what does the poster look like?

It's a ripoff of Marcin's poster:

http://www.flickr.co...ary/2264624814/

They even used the Atari Games logo because AtGames was completely unfamiliar with the fact that it's a completely different company.

Just an update, they're going to be mentioning Marcin in a future press release and working with him on a new poster in the near future as well.

Basically I was asked to review over the units for Atgames and give them feedback, the systems were done, I was able to get them to correct the wrong Adventure II game in the units, informed them of the b/w switch issue with Secret Quest and some other things, but this product was already 99.9999% done so any recommendations won't be fully implemented until a later release from them.

Just re-reading, the statement "with only superficial involvement from LEG" isn't accurate. LEG had zero involvement. Curt as an individual was asked to weigh in, but the product had already been designed and set at that point, so any advice was moot.

Updated for additional clarity. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got word from Atari, seems it is not a hoax, apparently they had someone do it... kind of a shame since its just a console and not the portable unit I showed them at a demonstration meeting last year that had joystick ports on it, sd card slot and a desktop "itunes-like" download/install app...

Lets see what these other guys bring to the table, but I think my portable design would've been the better approach, then a static PnP console... I think people are tired of them and the portable was the better way to go, IMHO....

post-23-0-09986400-1307549567_thumb.jpg

Amen, too bad they didn't make this. Just went to Dollar General and they have Flashback 3's on the shelves for $40. What's the difference between this and the Flashback 2s? Can't find any real info and am confused. Appreciate any help,thanks.