IGNORED

Flashback 3 at E3? Is it real?

Just received an email from zavvi:

We are sorry to advise that your order for Atari Flashback 3 is no longer available at our suppliers. Please be assured that we have contacted alternative sources and regrettably we were unable to obtain your item.

Your order has been cancelled and no payment has been taken for the cancelled items.

This product will be removed from our website in due course.

Yep, I got that email too :thumbsdown:

wow - demand must be huge for them to sell out so quick.

:roll:

Edited by raskar42

update: not looking very promising

Thanks for placing your order with zavvi Online, order number xxxxxxx

We are sorry to advise that your order for Atari Flashback 3 is no longer available at our suppliers. Please be assured that we have contacted alternative sources and regrettably we were unable to obtain your item.

Your order has been cancelled and no payment has been taken for the cancelled items.

This product will be removed from our website in due course.

Thanks for your patience, should you have any further questions please contact us through your online account message centre or on 0844 264 0702 and we will be happy to help you.

Many thanks

zavvi

Edited by mimo

This product clearly never existed. Not a single user has reported receiving a unit.

Atari is pathetic!. Why would they allow these charlatans to do this?.

:sad: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Then what did Dreamwriter play at E3:

It was more than just a box, I played the device at E3. The game menu was shifted halfway offscreen, but it did have a lot of games and I played Yars Revenge on it. The main thing that seemed suspicious to me was the entire menu system was different - no more categorizing games, just a number of pages of game titles in alphabetical order.

I sent my email. I was ready to buy this thing with SD support, but without it no thanks.

Since it is going to be made by AtGames, they have a website and they have contact info. Let's hound THEM for SD support. I'm still not confused about SD cards.

LINK to atgames contact page. Give em hell Atarians.

• Like 1

If I'm understanding everything all correctly, it's more like someone else cheapened them and asked Atari if it was okay to slap the Atari name on the box. Atari's response was "Sure, whatever!"

I don't know if Atari realizes that this reflects much worse on them than the typical licensed product (I mean in terms of the build and packaging looking as atrocious as they do). The "Flashback" name previously applied to actual Atari product; with this licensed product using it, too, it makes both the Flashback series and Atari itself look bad thanks to consumer confusion. It would be like allowing a third party to call something "Atari Puma" or "Atari 10400."

onmode-ky

Unfortunately, I kind of doubt that this will make "Atari" look all that bad anywhere outside of forums like this. I would imagine that most people who bought the FB 1 & 2 have next to no knowledge of who developed the tech behind it (and you can extrapolate that to just about any video game really, hardware or software). They remembered playing the 2600, saw the Flashback console and thought that it looked cool, so they picked it up. It was an impulse buy, no more, no less. They probably played it a few times and it's been collecting dust since. "Atari" probably realizes this, so they're going with the option that will no doubt cost them less. From an Atari fan's viewpoint, it sucks, but from theirs, it makes good sense. After all, at this point, "Atari" (aka Infogrames) is just milking the Atari legacy for what it's worth. I think profit margin is probably their only real concern.

Unfortunately, I kind of doubt that this will make "Atari" look all that bad anywhere outside of forums like this. I would imagine that most people who bought the FB 1 & 2 have next to no knowledge of who developed the tech behind it (and you can extrapolate that to just about any video game really, hardware or software). They remembered playing the 2600, saw the Flashback console and thought that it looked cool, so they picked it up. It was an impulse buy, no more, no less. They probably played it a few times and it's been collecting dust since. "Atari" probably realizes this, so they're going with the option that will no doubt cost them less. From an Atari fan's viewpoint, it sucks, but from theirs, it makes good sense. After all, at this point, "Atari" (aka Infogrames) is just milking the Atari legacy for what it's worth. I think profit margin is probably their only real concern.

They aren't releasing the console, and it's not costing them anything. It's not the same situation. A Chinese company approached them about doing their own, and Atari simply licensed their name out to a Chinese company that's manufacturing, distributing, etc.

Yeah, with no SD support this one is probably best avoided. Unless they developed their own AOAC (and a good one at that) or totally bootlegged Legacy's it probbaly won't be very accurate then have limited games on top of that - not so much.

I'll wait and see if LE comes up with something and pre-order that instead.

• 3 weeks later...

From the above posted manual, here are the 60 games that are included: (asterisks next to games that I don't think were on either of the previous Flashback 2's)

3D Tic Tac Toe

Adventure

Adventure II

Air-Sea Battle *

Aquaventure

Asteroids * (FB2 and FB2+ had the Arcade Asteroids hack)

Backgammon *

Basketball *

Battlezone

Bowling *

Canyon Bomber *

Centipede

Championship Soccer *

Circus Atari

Combat

Combat 2

Demons to Diamonds *

Desert Falcon *

Dodge'em

Double Dunk

Fatal Run

Flag Capture *

Frog Pond

Fun with Numbers *

Golf *

Gravitar *

Hangman

Home Run *

Haunted House

Human Cannonball

Maze Craze

Minature Golf *

Missile Command

Night Driver *

Off the Wall

Outlaw

Realsports Baseball*

Realsports Basketball*

Realsports Soccer

Realsports Volleyball

Saboteur

Save Mary

Secret Quest

Sky Diver *

Space War

Sprintmaster *

Star Ship *

Steeplechase *

Submarine Commander *

Super Baseball

Super Breakout

Super Football

Surround

Swordquest: Earthworld

Swordquest: Fireworld

Video Checkers

Video Chess

Video Pinball *

Wizard

Yars' Revenge

Note that Millipede, Quadrun, and Radar Lock and most of the FB2 exclusive games other than Adventure II are missing. Also notice that a few paddle games have been added such as Demons to Diamonds and Night Driver. I wonder if these have these been hacked to use the joysticks?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately that could back-fire. If nobody buys it, Atari-of-today could perceive that as the nostalgia dying off, and not do any more Flashbacks - with Legacy or anyone else. :(

That's bound to happen anyway. You can't bring out what is essentially the exact same product three times and expect strong sales. There needs to be some type of obvious differentiation or improvement.

• Like 2

Curt and Marty both said it, it's crap. Want something better? Get a decent looking cheaper 2600 console, send it to a modder here from Atariage and have them work it up for you. Those are community approved and are of much better quality (in the first place and then the mods are damn near bulletproof) so skip that POS and get better, aim higher.

exactly right, then just buy a harmony cart... case closed!

• 2 weeks later...

From the above posted manual, here are the 60 games that are included: (asterisks next to games that I don't think were on either of the previous Flashback 2's)

3D Tic Tac Toe

Adventure

Adventure II

Air-Sea Battle *

Aquaventure

Asteroids * (FB2 and FB2+ had the Arcade Asteroids hack)

Backgammon *

Basketball *

Battlezone

Bowling *

Canyon Bomber *

Centipede

Championship Soccer *

Circus Atari

Combat

Combat 2

Demons to Diamonds *

Desert Falcon *

Dodge'em

Double Dunk

Fatal Run

Flag Capture *

Frog Pond

Fun with Numbers *

Golf *

Gravitar *

Hangman

Home Run *

Haunted House

Human Cannonball

Maze Craze

Minature Golf *

Missile Command

Night Driver *

Off the Wall

Outlaw

Realsports Baseball*

Realsports Basketball*

Realsports Soccer

Realsports Volleyball

Saboteur

Save Mary

Secret Quest

Sky Diver *

Space War

Sprintmaster *

Star Ship *

Steeplechase *

Submarine Commander *

Super Baseball

Super Breakout

Super Football

Surround

Swordquest: Earthworld

Swordquest: Fireworld

Video Checkers

Video Chess

Video Pinball *

Wizard

Yars' Revenge

Note that Millipede, Quadrun, and Radar Lock and most of the FB2 exclusive games other than Adventure II are missing. Also notice that a few paddle games have been added such as Demons to Diamonds and Night Driver. I wonder if these have these been hacked to use the joysticks?

Also, neither Swordquest was on either Flashback 2 or 2+.

• 4 weeks later...