IGNORED

Kjmann's Atari Pirates cartridges...

Sikor

Kjmann sells Nosty's "Quad" without permission.

Nosty says:

I'm confused.

I don't believe that Kjmann is "simply pirate". He trades Atari stuff many many years.

So I think this is rather a little misunderstanding.

I wrote pm to Kjmann and I hope he explain this mistake.

and You like this:

I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, and I don't see anything wrong with what KJMANN is doing, either. I suppose if a particular copyright owner wanted to complain, I'd understand, but I don't think there are; people who complain are NOT the copyright owners, just complainers. I don't see how selling 30-year-old games (that have no relation whatsoever to the current market) can have any impact on anything, except maybe create some fun for someone who would otherwise never get to play.

so, I think there is something wrong is going on.

post-9219-0-62512800-1312442234_thumb.jpg

I'm not making a profit. For example, after buying an A800 on eBay for $40, adding the $20 multi-cart, another $40 for the joysticks, and $10 for the cable, you can see it comes to $110. (At least I'm getting the joysticks and carts for cheaper now that I buy them in quantity.) If I have to buy a new keyboard or some other component, I kick up the price a bit. As you point out (with eBay fees and such), it's a losing proposition. That's why it's a hobby rather than a business.

That's wrong thinking. You use copyrighted content to aid the selling of your other stuff. So it's a commercial infringement anyways.

That's wrong thinking. You use copyrighted content to aid the selling of your other stuff. So it's a commercial infringement anyways.

Not only you are an expert for graphics, musics and programming but for legal issues, too. Wow, I have to admit you must be something like a genious! We should be glad to have you here on AtariAge!

;)

Personally, I think if someone is an active member of the community then they should be consulted and their wishes respected before using their work in another product unless they've licensed in a way that gives up restrictions on its use.

• Like 2

Not only you are an expert for graphics, musics and programming but for legal issues, too.

You needn't be an expert to know that - it's common knowledge. One mustn't even copy a vinyl LP to a CD-R and sell this on eBay as a bundle to get higher bids.

But I see a moral difference here: Dan(i) Bunten sadly is dead, and M.U.L.E. is Abandonware (i.e. it is not commercially profitable any more for Electronic Arts and hasn't been for a very long time), so I can't see a victim here.

Quad OTOH was written by an active member of the Atari community, and although it is available for free, one should feel morally obliged to ask Nosty for his OK and/or offer him a share of the profits made on cartridges with his content (same goes for kjmann's Yoomp!, etc. carts - BTW: GR8 should really produce a second batch of the original cart).

Thorsten

"

Not only you are an expert for graphics, musics and programming but for legal issues, too. Wow, I have to admit you must be something like a genious! We should be glad to have you here on AtariAge!
...", the shadow of emkay says... ;)

...the shadow of R4ngerM4n replies... ;)

...Not only you are an expert for graphics, musics and programming but for legal issues, too.

You needn't be an expert to know that - it's common knowledge....

Hi Thorsten, don't put your energy in Rangerdog ;)

There's a reason for him to make these comments to emkay. He's a fan of emkay :lust: so he has a rather subjective reason for his replies.

...International copyright law is common knowledge? :roll:

Maybe not for dogs :roll:

But I see a moral difference here: Dan(i) Bunten sadly is dead, and M.U.L.E. is Abandonware (i.e. it is not commercially profitable any more for Electronic Arts and hasn't been for a very long time), so I can't see a victim here.

Thorsten

No, No, No..... A thousand times, NO!

Repeat after me "There is no such thing as abandonware".

M.U.L.E is copyrighted, and will continue to be be long after we are dead. Just because the owner hasn't done anything with it recently doesn't mean it is 'abandoned'.

Yes it is crappy, yes it is stupid, and yes, it is the law.

The copyright owner could wake up tomorrow and sue you into oblivion.

Stop perpetuating the abandonware BS.

• Like 5

Thorsten

M.U.L.E is copyrighted, and will continue to be be long after we are dead. Just because the owner hasn't done anything with it recently doesn't mean it is 'abandoned'.

All true and even Space Harrier as a free download is illegal.

Quad OTOH was written by an active member of the Atari community, and although it is available for free, one should feel morally obliged to ask Nosty for his OK and/or offer him a share of the profits made on cartridges with his content (same goes for kjmann's Yoomp!, etc. carts - BTW: GR8 should really produce a second batch of the original cart).

I don't know what's gone on behind the scenes, but that statement seems to characterise common sense and good manners to me. If (when) I release free software intended for cartridge and ever discover it's being sold as a retail package without my prior consent, problems will ensue.

Thorsten

All true and even Space Harrier as a free download is illegal.

yup.

The question is, whether the copyright owner takes care of it or not. Possibly a Cart with some A8 version of a game doesn't awake their greed of profit.

I have an "ironman" stopwatch. This topic will reappear in 3 months. can't wait! :D

I agree and disagree. There are some reproduction cartridges I'd love to get my hands on. Mule being one of them :D ...but I really really want Nir's Montezuma & Vanguard in the parkerbrothers case!

I'm a cartridge collector and of course prefer originals and prototypes but those 2 by Nir are my tops...if ya got them and want to sell or trade please let me know!

Edited by qix_maniac