IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I was surfing the Atari sites last night and Atarionline.pl had a review of the New version of Rastaconverter  and they posted a lot of my converted pictures I was blow'n away ..    Thanks to the guy's that posted them it made me feel realy good to see them there.  

Link:

https://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1713912425&archive=&start_from=0&ucat=1&ct=nowinki&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3HsOP5Kem0JaoK_DYKMijLun_8Aw3DlTOqAjjL3yb8SJZOg5ZCqRwnlWg_aem_AW_6JxClaXrIp_2vpJEEguYjXEWvNEaaEbqzLJv6PR_F74KAZ3P55Xw_XE07THcWilzcy8cgu6gqSDbYoeroXcM5

I wrote many times...
You do things that I thought are impossible... People in 1979 would look at your images and be amazed!

I don't know if designers of Atari 800/400 did expect that the hardware was capable of such wonders... LOL          

Edited by GravityWorm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

I wrote many times...
You do things that I thought are impossible... People in 1979 would look at your images and be amazed!

I don't know if designers of Atari 800/400 did expect that the hardware was capable of such wonders... LOL          

Well, technically 1981 when GTIA shipped.  I suppose some of these images would still be awesome on CTIA.  I suppose this is one more reason to fix my original 800 and see what they look like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pcrow said:

Well, technically 1981 when GTIA shipped.  I suppose some of these images would still be awesome on CTIA.  I suppose this is one more reason to fix my original 800 and see what they look like.

CTIA = 8 shades of grey
GTIA = 16 shades?
I never seen a image with 16 shades of gray here...
image.png.d5e5d28eadd7ee184b483b6bfa156354.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

CTIA = 8 shades of grey
GTIA = 16 shades?

Only 16 shades in GTIA modes. Normal modes use luma from the color registers, which don't have a bit 0 internally. That's why $00 and $01 are both black.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, pcrow said:

I reckon they'll look identical. Rastaconverter doesn't use any GTIA modes, like HIP and TIP etc.. do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Wow - this is a case of an image, which I thought "had a snowball's chance in hell" of converting, came out amazing.  I'll even post the source image here which I normally don't.

Dodge advertisement - 61 colours.

WhiteHatCharger_Progress.thumb.jpg.73e9bc8b5b83327e62cd0634a5c79dc4.jpg

Stephen_WhiteHatCharger.thumb.png.f7ed64cd9e830b663c7b44365d45d881.png

DodgeCharger.thumb.jpg.517540c965358e22bebbc920083704f3.jpg

Stephen_WhiteHatCharger.xex 21.99 kB · 3 downloads

Almost perfect. Maybe there could be some improvement by making the texts bigger and moving the text "How can you  resist" down a little to not take lines with skin... But all else perfect, I always like skin color that looks like skin, et cetera... :)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ivop said:

I reckon they'll look identical. Rastaconverter doesn't use any GTIA modes, like HIP and TIP etc.. do.

Because it is made for 1979 Atari?
But would it be possible to use GTIA in RC? @ilmenit@drpeter?
But using GTIA would help? I do not know it would a lot there is a limit of amount of detail per line so...
It could improve making more seamless color changes, could make backgrounds better...

Edited by GravityWorm

1 hour ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Doggie

Colors: 50

plus src

Atari8man_Doggie.png

output.png-src.png

Atari8man_Doggie.xex 22.27 kB · 0 downloads

In the area I live some people have a dog with almost the same facial expression. A friendly dog but a huge one! Huge! The size of a small or medium sized black bear.  :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A Medieval Fantasy Game 0001
Drunkman 001 b2 NTSC

Imagine. Atari 800/400. A medieval fantasy game. You are a group of travelers. Adventurers.
You are on a mission. You wander around and you see an Inn. In that inn there is a drunk man who knows gossip...

GravityWorm_Drunkman001b2_NTSC.png

GravityWorm_Drunkman001b2_NTSC.xex

Edited by GravityWorm
  • Like 11

A Medieval Fantasy Game 0001
Drunkman 001 b2 PAL

Imagine. Atari 800/400. A medieval fantasy game. You are a group of travelers. Adventurers.
You are on a mission. You wander around and you see an Inn. In that inn there is a drunk man who knows gossip...

GravityWorm_Drunkman001b2_PAL.png

GravityWorm_Drunkman001b2_PAL.xex

• Like 9

5 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

Because it is made for 1979 Atari?
But would it be possible to use GTIA in RC? @ilmenit@drpeter?
But using GTIA would help? I do not know it would a lot there is a limit of amount of detail per line so...
It could improve making more seamless color changes, could make backgrounds better...

I don't think GTIA would be a big help, because GTIA's has more restrictions than the "gr. 15" bitmap mode used in RC, that can have sprite overlay and and free selection of colors from available palette when changed mid-line. GTIA potentially could help when used with interlace, but probably second "gr. 15" screen could bring even more details and less visible blinking. What really could help is a switch from bitmap mode to a 5 color text mode, but it would require rewrite of the big portion of RC tool.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

I don't think GTIA would be a big help, because GTIA's has more restrictions than the "gr. 15" bitmap mode used in RC, that can have sprite overlay and and free selection of colors from available palette when changed mid-line. GTIA potentially could help when used with interlace, but probably second "gr. 15" screen could bring even more details and less visible blinking. What really could help is a switch from bitmap mode to a 5 color text mode, but it would require rewrite of the big portion of RC tool.

Would second "gr. 15" require to be the xex run from cartridge on a real machine?

• Like 1

You need the 8K or more for screen and then that again and often more for the kernal code.

So potentially filling 48K for a 2 screen picture.

I had the thought of doing a hack job and generating a 480i RC pic - one possible problem is you could get 2 pictures with their own particular minor glitches that don't match up and wouldn't look right.

It'd probably come down to trial and error.

The Antic 4 thing - whatever way you go you get problems.

Stock size or reduced height characters to allow more PF2/3 selections - you cop badlines where essentially next to no colour changes can take place.

VScrol trick to create much taller characters - you're then stuck with the same PF2/3 selection for the duration.

What might be interesting could be an Antic 4 solution where you just have every second line blank which would allow skipping over the badlines.

Maybe a 2 screen job there with each one offset by 1 scanline to fill in the blanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

@drpeter tried to explain to me how RC works and based on his explanations I wanted to write ideas how to improve RC and basically I wanted to write what you just wrote :D But more hardcore and complicated. But i did know how to explain my ideas.... So I did not wrote them...

• Like 1