IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

I gave it a try!

Looking good so far!

It is very colorful, and it is fun to shoot the aliens. It is challenging, but not too challenging.

I like the rocket take-off sequence.

I am glad it doesn't sound like a Spectrum.

Nitpicks:

1. When I am pressing the fire button, the disc seems to be ignored, so I start falling down even if I am pushing up. Is this how it is supposed to work?

2. I can see (from a physical standpoint) why I would have to build the first stage of the rocket before the second stage. But it seems arbitrary that I would have to build the left side before the right. Once I figured this out it was no problem, but it surprised me at first.

3. It didn't occur to me to "swoop in" to the rocket, so the first time I built it I just waited for something to happen and then quit the game.

Looking good,

Catsfolly

• Like 1

I gave it a try!

:cool:

Looking good so far!

Thanks for the compliment.

It is very colorful, and it is fun to shoot the aliens. It is challenging, but not too challenging.

There are a couple of missing play mechanisms missing from the teaser ROM which should add to the challenge of the game.

I like the rocket take-off sequence.

Glad you like it. It looked too plain at first and then I kinda got into a roll with it.

I am glad it doesn't sound like a Spectrum.

:lol:

1. When I am pressing the fire button, the disc seems to be ignored, so I start falling down even if I am pushing up. Is this how it is supposed to work?

I haven't seen this. You can fire and move/fall at the same time. What are you playing the demo ROM on?

2. I can see (from a physical standpoint) why I would have to build the first stage of the rocket before the second stage. But it seems arbitrary that I would have to build the left side before the right. Once I figured this out it was no problem, but it surprised me at first.

Fair point! I see it more as having some simple rules to follow to complete the objective.

3. It didn't occur to me to "swoop in" to the rocket, so the first time I built it I just waited for something to happen and then quit the game.

Maybe the first level needs an arrow above the rocket pointing down when its ready to go? I'm going to add a few more "noob" friendly indicators to the first level only. Such as flashing the next part to collect more prominently so I can include the arrow in those changes as well.

• Like 1

VERY high replay value for me ! Love it !

Excellent!

I'll try it on my Android phone next :grin:

If it works OK on 'droid you'll have to let me know what emulator you are using on that platform and I can add it to the game's compatibility/quirks list.

• Like 1

Just played it on Nostalgia and it is awesome. I love the rocket take-off sequence.

The laser-sound is nice as well ;)

I experienced the same problem, it made the gameplay a bit awkward for me, but I think it is an issue in Nostalgia. Sometimes pressing multiple keys can cause the PC to use only one.

I'm gonna try it in jzIntv and see if I get the same results.

Happy I pre-ordered it :)

- edit-

tried it in jzIntv and I have the same problem.

Edited by Janzl

Strange. I play-tested the game on the Intellivision Master Component and didn't experienced this problem at all.

I sometimes even left the fire-button pressed while moving around just to rack up points.

dZ.

In the default key mapping of Nostalgia you need to use the Home, Delete or PgDn keys for fire if you want to use the cursor keys to move. By using left control and the cursor keys you are using the fire key from player 2 and the movement keys from player 1.

Looks nice GB! Great, now I have to get an Inty! You sir, are a programming beast!

Looks nice GB! Great, now I have to get an Inty! You sir, are a programming beast!

Correction.....he is a sweaty programming beast!

And thats how i like my programmers!

• Like 1

More random observations:

1. I can't pick up a new spaceship piece while the previously released piece is still dropping. ;)

2. If a baddie hits me, I die, and he blows up, but I don't get any points for killing him. It cost me my life to take the guy out, you'd think I could get a point or two!!!

3. At the other extreme, the highest skill move (in this teaser version anyway) is to build and launch the spaceship without shooting any aliens. Maybe if the player does that they could earn a nonviolence achievement ("Gandhi"?) bonus? Just a thought...

4. Some players will mix the left and right controllers in the emulator (like I did). It might be worth the effort to just "make this work" - at least in one player mode...

• Like 1

1. I can't pick up a new spaceship piece while the previously released piece is still dropping. ;)

Correct!

2. If a baddie hits me, I die, and he blows up, but I don't get any points for killing him. It cost me my life to take the guy out, you'd think I could get a point or two!!!

:lol:

3. At the other extreme, the highest skill move (in this teaser version anyway) is to build and launch the spaceship without shooting any aliens. Maybe if the player does that they could earn a nonviolence achievement ("Gandhi"?) bonus? Just a thought...

Hmmm... Never thought of it like that. Maybe you have make at least one kill to deserve to leave the planet :lol:.

4. Some players will mix the left and right controllers in the emulator (like I did). It might be worth the effort to just "make this work" - at least in one player mode...

It does work... on real hardware :P.

If it works OK on 'droid you'll have to let me know what emulator you are using on that platform and I can add it to the game's compatibility/quirks list.

I'm using jzintv4droid, your game works great, I am just not pleased with the emulator (touchscreen controls are weird) I hope to get to play some more this weekend

• Like 1

Just played the ROM ... very nice. Look forward to getting the game and playing on my system at home. Great work!

Glad you enjoyed it. There are a couple of game play mechanisms that will be added to the final version but the teaser ROM is pretty much how the core game will play.