IGNORED

HighScore.com Contest: $50 AtariAge gift certs to winners

Serious

Serious wanted to see if this was possible. While in the inbox is it possible to add an link to delete all? When you play a few games the messages build up pretty fast and it takes awhile to delete them all.

Thanks

Cncfreak

This is now implemented.

When you have notices in your inbox, there will be a "Delete All" button at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for making a call I wen't ahead and played on my legit hardware. I really like my flashback 4 IR joysticks though ;)

From the information I've been able to gather (and Kamikazi's comments above), I believe this is an ASIC device, and doesn't contain a real 6507 or TIA chip.

If I segment all of these devices into separate consoles, it would reduce the amount of competition.

Let's go with the Flashback being in the 2600 Emulated category.

Edited by bombidragon

First of all, I want to state that I will be supporting this site 100 percent. I am not the best gamer, but will plan to using my extensive library of games to good use by posting scores on real hardware. Look to vote for me and my scores. Plan on posting several scores this next month because I can :). Feel free to vote for my scores, as I need all the help I can get. This is a great idea. Please add my name to the contest.

• Like 1

Should scores for the Atari 2600 and Colecovision Up N' Down be accepted?
The game doesn't have a timer. One could just keep driving around and not pick up the flags and boost the score.
The last time it was played in the 2600 HSC we had scoring problems.
And the last time it was played in the Colecovision HSC the game was thrown out.

First of all, I want to state that I will be supporting this site 100 percent. I am not the best gamer, but will plan to using my extensive library of games to good use by posting scores on real hardware. Look to vote for me and my scores. Plan on posting several scores this next month because I can :). Feel free to vote for my scores, as I need all the help I can get. This is a great idea. Please add my name to the contest.

Thanks very much!

You are now added to the contest, and your rankings should appear on the AtariAge League page.

Should scores for the Atari 2600 and Colecovision Up N' Down be accepted?

The game doesn't have a timer. One could just keep driving around and not pick up the flags and boost the score.

The last time it was played in the 2600 HSC we had scoring problems.

And the last time it was played in the Colecovision HSC the game was thrown out.

Anything people want to submit scores for will be accepted for voting.

Whether or not having the highest score for that game is a dubious honor, that's up to you and other users to decide.

One aspect that is troubling me is that it doesn't seem to matter how much evidence is put together as proof of a score to avoid getting negative votes. While it may sound like I'm complaining I'm actually not...it's just a lot of skill going to waste. So, I'm asking upfront if anyone here, who has voted NO on any of the scores I've posted on Serious' site, would step forward and explain why they are voting NO so what I do submit to the site will be better proof.

So far, my videos tell: The name of the game, what system it's played on (or emulator), my name and nickname, and the date. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance and keep those scores coming!

One aspect that is troubling me is that it doesn't seem to matter how much evidence is put together as proof of a score to avoid getting negative votes. While it may sound like I'm complaining I'm actually not...it's just a lot of skill going to waste. So, I'm asking upfront if anyone here, who has voted NO on any of the scores I've posted on Serious' site, would step forward and explain why they are voting NO so what I do submit to the site will be better proof.

So far, my videos tell: The name of the game, what system it's played on (or emulator), my name and nickname, and the date. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance and keep those scores coming!

I hear you man. Serious suggested getting photos with a tag of some kind in the picture that has your alias / name in it. I did this and also had Highscore.com opened with me logged in and it still didn't matter. I am looking at recording videos as an alternative. Problem is this is very time consuming so far.

I've been creating videos more so than screenshots with opening and closing sequences that states who I am and it still isn't working. Also, I noticed one of my scores waiting on a vote has a -0 (?) What is this?

This is what my videos look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3aeuVsD00

Edited by kamakazi

I need to redo the waiting on votes section on the user home page. It is one area of code that I am really unsatisfied with.

I'll share with you guys what insight I have on how people seem to be voting, based largely on private feedback/comments I have received.

There are different philosophies that various site users have when voting, and they mostly seem to fall into two camps:

There are some who tend to give people the benefit of the doubt on the score posted, and tend to vote yes unless there is something odd about the evidence that gives them cause for suspicion.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are users who feel that the person submitting the score has a burden of proof, and that the evidence must be strong enough to prove that they personally achieved the score without cheating, and only vote in favor of scores that they feel meet this criteria. Users with this point-of-view aren't necessarily indicating that they think the submitter is lying about their score, but just that they feel there is room for reasonable doubt in the evidence.

Where I see a problem in this situation is that there is not enough discussion in the comments so that the person who submits the score has a better idea of why the voting is going the way that it is. Seeing this, I'm giving some thought to the design of the voting page, and I'm considering making some changes there to make it easier for people to leave comments, so the submitter has better feedback on why people are voting against their submissions.

If you are receiving more votes against your score submissions than you are comfortable with, it may give you some insight if you consider whether or not someone looking at the evidence that was submitted could believe that you copied the screenshot, photo, or video from somewhere else, edited it, and submitted it as your own. If you can objectively look at your own submission and apply this criteria, I think it can give you insight into what some voters are thinking when they vote on your scores.

What I generally recommend is that you include with your submission a photo (or video) shot with a camera, where your name is written on a piece of paper, in frame with the monitor or television with your score on it. This seems to address most doubts.

You may also want to look at what other users are doing who have higher legit ratings to get a better feel for what they may be doing that is working for them.

All of the above being said, I don't think anyone is ever going to get 100% legit all of the time. My own legit rating is only 96%. Does that mean that 4% of the voters think that I started HighScore.com so I could fabricate evidence and lie about my scores? :) I don't think it does, but it does mean that you're probably not going to be able to convince 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Kamakazi: Here is why you are getting negative votes, and I would suggest recording like this from now on for 100% definitive proof that you are legit on emulator:

1. Use a program to window capture the emulator... not directly capture the emulator itself.

2a. Start the recording, then start the game. If you are using anything that can use cheat codes, go into said "game genie" and show that it is off.

2b. Start the recording, set your difficulty switches before the game starts (If its the Atari 2600).

3. After the game is done, verify again that the cheat codes have been off.

This should take care of anyone who thinks you're cheating.

Edited by keilbaca

Verification by users is an interesting idea. Really cool way to handle legitimacy.

But... in this beginning, with a contests and prizes, all players ('judges') have a direct interest in voting 'No' for every video.

The contest is beeing very successfull and the site got many records, though. :thumbsup:

Question, I just picked up a MIST device (Atari ST and Amiga FPGA). Would you consider this device emulation?

I'm not familiar with it, but a quick Google on it led me to a page that indicates it is an FPGA-based device.

So to remain consistent with past classifications, that would indeed fall under emulation.

I have a suggestion -- I just noticed I have an Inbox! I was checking it out & thought it would be handy if I could click on a message about when someone has posted a comment about one of my scores, and have it link me to the comment. Sometimes I can't find my score that it's talking about in order to see the comment.

maybe I just need to get better at using the site, but I thought it would be a good idea. maybe a link from the trophy notifications too.

also, I'm wondering if there is any way I can look to see who is currently in the lead for cracked trophies, and for "first" and "worldwide" trophies. It would be cool to be able to look at a list of the ten prize categories to see how players are ranked for each of these.

Edited by S.BAZ