IGNORED

2nd Annual CvW competition (December)

Nice game Oscar ... looks like I'd better get busy to put some more distance between us!

The only problem with playing every day is that it takes close to 45 minutes to play a game. It's getting harder and harder to squeeze in time with shopping, holiday prep, etc!

Today's submission:

post-31049-0-92980800-1387309771_thumb.png

• Like 1

Nice game Oscar ... looks like I'd better get busy to put some more distance between us!

The only problem with playing every day is that it takes close to 45 minutes to play a game. It's getting harder and harder to squeeze in time with shopping, holiday prep, etc!

Today's submission:

attachicon.gifToday.png

That is exactly my problem. The games are getting longer and by playing in Public Transport I risk missing my stop :P

I have already cut short some good runs and I have also lost some good scores in the panic of getting off the train.

Good luck!

O

Finally I could beat my personal (and the world's?) best score! :)

post-32348-0-84056400-1387331398_thumb.jpg

And I discovered there isn't new lives after you enter yellow scores (except, if I remember right, at the begining of yellow scores, around 10200)!!! :-o

I think I played with my last life from 1200 to the end.

I was able to make perfect scores for every Twisted Toyland, almost every Freezer Burn, let only one Icicle Lane without a perfect (actually died :mad:), and almost all perfect scores for Snowflake Garden too!

• Like 5

Finally I could beat my personal (and the world's?) best score! :)

attachicon.gif2013-12-17_23-46-55_317.jpg

And I discovered there isn't new lives after you enter yellow scores (except, if I remember right, at the begining of yellow scores, around 10200)!!! :-o

I think I played with my last life from 1200 to the end.

I was able to make perfect scores for every Twisted Toyland, almost every Freezer Burn, let only one Icicle Lane without a perfect (actually died :mad:), and almost all perfect scores for Snowflake Garden too!

OMG!!! That is amazing! You are now the new World Record holder! (At least for now, unless WispFollower or Cparsley decide to drop by and blow your high score away :lol: )

That is very impressive, Liduario. Congratulations! :)

About the lives after yellow score... Hmm... I think you have just discovered a feature. :) I didn't realize it, but what happens is that the last life awarded is at 9,750 points, and after that it should be at 11,550, but the score counter is reset to zero, so it never gets there! Internally, the game keeps track of how many times you roll-over the score counter, which is how it knows to change the colour, but counter is reset.

Well, the box promises "unlimited scoring potential" not unlimited lives. :P (And on that topic, the manual only mentions one at 300 and one at 750, so consider all the others as extras. :) )

Congratulations, nonetheless!

-dZ.

Leaderboard updated.

• Like 2

first off: the pics I promised yesterday !

& I'm going to see if I can post the video

post-34560-0-64714700-1387342815_thumb.gif wow, impressive

perfect on Stage 7 Practice (novice)

post-34560-0-86229800-1387344751_thumb.gif

perfect on Stage 6 Practice (novice)

post-34560-0-08850600-1387344720_thumb.gif

Lid - The Tolkien books are all so good it's hard to say. but the Trilogy is well worth the read. It may seem to start of slowly but once you get into it it is so hard to put down & flys by. Return of the King was especially moving & exciting to me.

The Hobbit is the one I read the most times (6) & seem to enjoy it more each time!

The Silmarillion is just in another category altogether, I don't know what to say other than AMAZING. Tolkien never stopped working on it his whole life and never published it. It covers the entire background for the other books, from the beginning of time onward! I'm sure it is best to read after one has already read the others, because it is so fun to discover what all the poetry and songs were about. And is so packed full of information & names & rich language, you'll have to basically study the book while reading it, referring to the index constantly in order to keep up & follow everything. But I have to say without a doubt I think it is the best. :thumbsup: I have never read a more moving book in my life.

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 3

for today, I have an improvement! (10:29pm my time, I hope that counts as the 17th!)

post-34560-0-67899100-1387343987_thumb.gif

this was a very disappointing death for me, because it happened with kind of a glitch, or "miracle." I hit a snowflake & then Snowman killed me one step after! seemed not fair... but I can't really complain because I have been saved by a miracle a few times, not dying when I got hit.

but then I lost my remaining life because I got impatient & made a bad move.

my last death:

post-34560-0-75413900-1387344268_thumb.gif

check out how the grey swirl from the snowflake is still there, from my 2nd to last death. it stayed petrified on the screen when the Snowman got his miracle. You can see it's still there on my Game Over pic. :!:

Level 20 Perfect

post-34560-0-10740500-1387344909_thumb.gif

ok, I don't know how (other than Youtube, which I haven't started using yet) to get the video to post here, but you can watch it (i think) on photobucket -- This is me hangin' in there on Master Setting, Candy Cove, using my game plan as I attempted to describe before:

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/SBAZ1/media/CarolvsGhostMpS3-C206_zps81926fb3.mp4.html

it's not pretty but I'll get the execution down better when I get to that in my "perfect" collecting!

here's a better showing of running my gameplan -- I played it on "Ranger" setting. Failed in the 2nd time around but the first part is a good run to demonstrate:

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/SBAZ1/media/CvGRpS3-playbookperfect1strd_zps7f60a576.mp4.html

as you can see I modified the plan a bit, to include those bottom-of-the-screen bon-bons in my opening (they are hard to get at otherwise). Here's a video of me getting a perfect Candy Cove on "Ranger" setting:

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/SBAZ1/media/CarolvsGhostRpS3-P_zps1c928ec3.mp4.html

the first round wasn't too pretty, I blew the opening but pulled through. 2nd round the opening goes off without a hitch, but the rest gets ugly for a bit. Then I pulled through!

Another Candy Cove tip which I know works. Sometimes zig-zagging can get me out of trouble with Snowman, & sometimes not. But at these two spots it always works. If Snowman is on my tail I can always shake him if I can make it to one of these spots & just run in circles 1-3 times (I actually go in the opposite direction of the arrows). If he's not quite caught up to you when you get there, give him a second to get right on your tail!

post-34560-0-58342700-1387347797_thumb.gif

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 2

@JasonLikesINTV: Hurry up! Oscar G. is getting lonely in the House Of Ranger Elves. ;)

@Gorfy: 1K is a big deal, nonetheless. And to answer your question, the day ends on Midnight CST.

@S.BAZ: Good progress! You are also at the cusp of graduating to Ranger Elf.

It seems you encountered an especially Evil Snowman! Honestly, I encountered that "miracle" only once last year, but was never able to reproduce it. To my knowledge, nobody else has encountered it as well, and it didn't surface during the extensive beta testing period, nor during the intensive competition last year. So, I figure that if that Snowman shows up only once a year, we're good. Unfortunately, you were the lucky one to get him, but now it's gone! Let's see who gets it next year. :lol:

If it ever happens again, please let me know.

-dZ.

Leaderboard updated.

@Liduario: Have you managed to get a Perfect Christmas Supreme? The only one so far ever to do so has been cparsley.

Do you mean by Pefect Christmas Supreme getting all the 64 levels perfect in a row? :-o

I really can't do this. I believe cparsley did this awesome achievement since he showed an outstanding 8k score without passing too many levels last year.

Wispfollower also made a great score last year. His 14,034 was achieved in lvl 136. It was much higher than I got in the same level. And, as I said, I keep doing a good amount of perfect levels! :-o

To be honest, I NEVER made a perfect Haunted Hollow in Master level! I even don't have any pattern near to a perfect level for this one.

Frosted Maze, Candy Cove and Krystal 'Kreep' goes without perfect at Master level too. Actually, I play almost the same as Ranger...

I think I need another year to try the Supreme Perfect achievement...

Orange scores are much closer now. :-D

For this year, I predict a winning score around 25k.

...Hmmm. Now that I've told that it may be a 30k.

:ponder: ... Oh well... :P

To be honest, I NEVER made a perfect Haunted Hollow in Master level! I even don't have any pattern near to a perfect level for this one.

Frosted Maze, Candy Cove and Krystal 'Kreep' goes without perfect at Master level too. Actually, I play almost the same as Ranger...

Cparsley is the only one I know who has achieved the Perfect Christmas Supreme. WispFollower may have, but he never mentioned it, and I believe we calculated his score was possible without it. It is very hard indeed. Once you get to Master level, things don't work exactly the same. Which brings me to today's...

Christmas Carol Fun Fact: The difficulty of a Christmas Carol level is defined by a set of parameters that describe certain properties of the sprites and the environment. On every rank, these parameters are scaled by a percentage, some up and some down. See below for some technical details on the level parameters and difficulty ranking.

Although almost all of the parameters are unique to Christmas Carol--and germane to its game-play--the idea of having individually adjustable parameters that describe a level and not just character AI, was inspired by Pac-Man. In concert, all parameters work together to define the difficulty, and to bring some complex emergent behaviors that enrich the game-play.

If you can learn anything useful from classic video games is that varying simple rules and attributes combine in rich and complex ways. :)

After every rank earned, the entire level parameter set is updated by 12.50%; some up, some down. For instance, while the enemies' speed goes 12.50% faster, the snowflakes last 12.50% less. Moreover, the Ghost goes not only 12.50% faster, but his tile counter is increased by 12.50% as well. The Ghost tile counter is how many spaces he will move before stopping to look around (a larger number means he has more chance at catching up with you from far away when you pick up a present.) Likewise, the Snowman goes faster and his "cruising elroy" timer is shortened, meaning he will get angry sooner.

To make things even more challenging, the speed of the Elf is increased by half as much as the baddies. So the Snowman and Ghost go 12.50% faster, but Carol goes only 6.25% faster. Poor little Elf!

Below is a list of all the level parameters:

• Elf Speed Normal: The running speed of the Elf.
  • Elf Speed after eating Snowflake: The running speed of the Elf while the Snowflake effects are on.
  • Ghost Speed: The running speed of the Ghost.
  • Snowman initial attack speed: The running speed of the Snowman when it first comes out.
  • Snowman "cruising elroy" attack speed: The running speed of the Snowman after he gets angry.
  • Snowman release countdown timer: A time-out between picking up presents after which the Snowman comes in. Whenever Carol picks up a present or eats a snowflake, the time-out is extended by a bit. This means that if Carol takes too long to start her work, the Snowman will come sooner.
  • Snowman gift pick-up release threshold: The number of presents picked up by the Elf after which the Snowman comes out unconditionally. This guarantees that the Snowman will come out whether by standing still or picking up presents.
  • Snowman warning timer: The early warning delay between the Snowman's howl and his eventual entrance.
  • Snowflake duration timer: The duration of the Snowflake effects. The effects include: faster Elf speed, stunned ghost, and confused Snowman.
  • Ghost flashing counter when coming out of "stun" mode: The times the Ghost will flash white to alert you that the Snowflake effects are running out. (This is one of the very few things left from Pac-Man.)
  • Ghost tile counter: The number of "game tiles" (4x4 pixels) the Ghost will traverse before stopping, looking around, and picking a different target.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 5