IGNORED

2nd Annual CvW competition (December)

I have a question: In Twisted Toyland, how do you determine the outcome of a collision with the snowball? I have some success just head-butting it, but sometimes that defeats Carol. TOMbot sometimes beats it when shooting me, other times it goes right through & whacks her out...

is it random?

It's not random. It is a bit different than the rest of the baddies, which is why the game awards you an extra life when you first encounter the Bad Toy. Below is an explanation of the mechanics. It's more fun figuring it out by yourself, so just read this if you are really in trouble.

The Snowball rolls about, hovering around the Bad Toy. Whenever the Carol is within line of sight and range of the Bad Toy's laser, he zaps her, causing the Snowball to careen towards her momentarily.

Also, the laser zaps the Christmas cheer out of Carol, causing her to move slower each time. Only eating a magical snowflake can restore her spirits.

The Snowball is weaker than the full-sized Snowman, so he doesn't inflict as much damage on Carol. That said, every time he hits Carol, she gets just a bit weaker, until upon the third strike, when she gets frozen. You can see the "hit counter" on the "Lives" display: Green means Carol is healthy; Yellow means she is weaker; and Red means she'll be frozen on the next hit.

Also, colliding with the Snowball steals one present from Carol, forcing her to retrieve it again.

For more information, you can check out the game manual.

-dZ.

Hello guys,

This is my 7th submission. I am about to break the 2K chains. Moreover, I have the saving of a second Xmas in sight.

The perfect Xmas keeps on eluding me for one or two details. I guess I do not have to think about it… it will come alone.

Cheers,

Oscar G. - 2,908 points - Level 28

post-34781-0-35781200-1387143843_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great job, Oscar G.! You just unseated JasonLikesINTV from the Top Helper Elf thrown. I wonder how he'll feel about that.

I myself was having trouble saving Christmas, and today the stars aligned and I did it twice in a row! I will be posting my latest score soon. I am now a Ranger Elf. :)

Leaderboard updated.

• Like 1

Hey Dz,

I understand very well what you said about being "rusty" after not playing the game for a long time.

I am slowly "un-rusting" as I am still struggling to save my 2nd xmas.

Slowly the mojo is coming back as I keep on playing.

This is a great, great game. I said it one year ago and I can safely repeat it now: Carol is one of the best games in the console!

Not only the game is great in itself, it is also extremely appealing for others. My family likes it a lot and I can see us playing together and having fun in Carol parties (for the 2nd year in a row!)

Cheers!

• Like 1

I have been avoiding the Tolkien movies since LOTR, not that they are really bad movies, I just prefer the images in my head from reading the books, which I cannot recall after seeing the movies. (also they are somewhat disappointing for me as well). And the Hobbit is one of my very favorite books.

Anyone here who loves Tolkien books and has not read The Silmarilion? That is an AMAZING book !!

Hey, S.BAZ… Thanks for the recommendation about the Silmarillion, the Hobbit is also my favourite book.

I love both the films and the books. I think cinema and literature are two very different ways of telling a story. So I love what Peter Jackson did for adapting the films.

He took liberties and sometimes sacrificed the source material in order to have a well told story. In my opinion, The source material is not as important as the story telling.

For instance, I don't think that the adventures of Tom Bombadil would have done any good to the original LOTR trilogy. So it was a great decision to leave Tom out.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Alright! I've been playing like the dickens since yesterday, trying to save Christmas from that Evil Snowman. After many false starts, I managed to do so twice! I am now a Ranger Elf once again, my title from last year's championship. I also earned a few more achievements.

Below are some pictures of my latest trek with Carol through the Frozen Ice-Cube Caverns.

I got my Five Golden Rings... Of Life!

post-27318-0-54314000-1387144882_thumb.jpg

Along the way, I got a few "perfects," and managed to remember to grab the camera on the Twisted Toyland--a propos to my quest to save Christmas.

post-27318-0-87501400-1387144887_thumb.jpg

I saved Christmas! and earned a rank! YAY!

post-27318-0-09456400-1387144892_thumb.jpg

Imagine my excitement when I met the Bad Toy a second time!

post-27318-0-76061300-1387144909_thumb.jpg

And then I saved Christmas (again!)

post-27318-0-41252900-1387144905_thumb.jpg

And earned a another rank! Double-plus-YAY!

post-27318-0-36973200-1387144897_thumb.jpg

Finally, I got careless, and lost. It had to happen some time... :(

post-27318-0-73878200-1387144877_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I've read the Hobbit and didn't watch the film.

I've seen all 3 LOTR but I didn't read these books or the Similarium.

What is the best? I don't know... :) All 3 LOTR books seemed too much reading for me. :-D

Interesting I never wanted to read Harry Potter. And I delayed to watch the films. I guess it's for a total different taste.

The best experience I had both with the film and book was with the Godfather!

Excellent book, excellent films! I recommend both!

Musashi was great reading too! Of course, I read the translation. :)

Once Dz-Jay asked me about a good book in Portuguese... and I'm still thinking. :lol: I used to read a lot more than these days. :ponder:

• Like 1

Well, rather than award prizes to the top scores only, which is what we did last year, we thought it would be better to award the prizes per rank. The old way, only the top and best gamers could ever win, and most people were dropped off the league early on in the competition. This time, as you advance in the game, you earn skill and experience, and so you are graded with your peers at effectively the same skill level.

So, you are right, the moment you advance in the game and reach the Helper rank, you will be judged against other Helper Elves, leaving the Novice block to newer players or those with less experience.

I believe this is fair, wouldn't you agree?

If some experienced player wants a Novice badge so bad that he is willing to cripple his game in order to get the highest "almost-perfect" score in the Novice rank; well then, not only will he get coal in his stocking this Christmas, but he will forfeit his bragging rights against the other advanced players in his own league. Also, I would expect it would rouse suspicion from the judges, and increase the risk of getting disqualified. All for a low-rank badge. :P

-dZ.

Completely fair, just making sure I understand. This will be tough. I'm expecting to end up somewhere in Ranger, unless I get a lot better in the next few weeks and get Master. We'll see how I do tonight :P

• Like 1

@mphokie: Congratulations!!! Great job! You've now graduated to an Elite Helper Elf. You must now increase your score to climb your way to the top of your rank and regain your standing. You are in good company. :)

@Fushek: Impressive score! And I thought I was doing good with my 2,977 points. Humph!

Leaderboard updated.

@Darrin9999: Good score--you're still in the same place, though. You've earned one more achievement! :)

@JasonLikesINTV: You posted your score after Midnight, and as per the rules, the entry date is taken from the forum timestamp. This means that your entry is dated Dec. 16 not 15. Since it was only by a few minutes, I let it pass this time and adjusted your entry date to 11:59 PM to still count towards your 12 Days Of Christmas. :)

Know, however, that the competition ends on 12:00 Midnight CST on December 31st, sharp. That time will not be extended.

P.S. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you and Oscar G. are withholding your big scores to retain position among the Top Elite Helper Elves... Hmm... :P

@JasonLikesINTV: You posted your score after Midnight, and as per the rules, the entry date is taken from the forum timestamp. This means that your entry is dated Dec. 16 not 15. Since it was only by a few minutes, I let it pass this time and adjusted your entry date to 11:59 PM to still count towards your 12 Days Of Christmas. :)

Know, however, that the competition ends on 12:00 Midnight CST on December 31st, sharp. That time will not be extended.

P.S. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you and Oscar G. are withholding your big scores to retain position among the Top Elite Helper Elves... Hmm... :P

I'm showing a time stamp of 11:12pm last night....unless I'm reading it wrong.

I can assure you I'm not holding back. I'm playing pretty comparable to last year and I'm near my 2012 best score. That being said, unless I have some sort of breakthrough, I'm expecting fall in the Ranger range. We'll see, though.....plenty of time left.

@Scalpel: Awesome start! You have bumped grips03 out of the Top Elite Helper Elves, and moved in on top of Darrin9999. You also earned some achievements, go check them out on the leadeboard!

Leaderboard updated.

I played once more...

Somewhere in the picture, the proof I played in Décember, 2013 ^^

post-32817-0-86160600-1387210282_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm showing a time stamp of 11:12pm last night....unless I'm reading it wrong.

I can assure you I'm not holding back. I'm playing pretty comparable to last year and I'm near my 2012 best score. That being said, unless I have some sort of breakthrough, I'm expecting fall in the Ranger range. We'll see, though.....plenty of time left.

Hmm... It shows as 12:12 on my end... Weird.

Anyway, I know you're not holding back, it was a lame joke. :)

Hello guys,

This is my eight submission.

Oscar G. - 2068 points - Level 21

Nope, I am not holding scores at all. I like playing "Liduario" style wyswyg, or better said, what you score, what you post.

These are my scores, playing in public transport (not too much time to play at home). I know I can do better... Cheers!

post-34781-0-08880700-1387230463_thumb.png

• Like 3