IGNORED

Atari Flashback 5 New Features (Dream List)

OK, I got a message back from AtGames. I'm not going to repeat it here verbatim, but essentially they don't test market, the product is still being finalized, and none of these products will be available before October. One good thing out of that is at least we know the October dates for the new systems are real.

• Like 1

OK, I got a message back from AtGames. I'm not going to repeat it here verbatim, but essentially they don't test market, the product is still being finalized, and none of these products will be available before October. One good thing out of that is at least we know the October dates for the new systems are real.

Thanks for all the updates

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like they should be releasing the list of games soon. They already have pictures of the box out. I hope this model has everything on it that past models have had (minus activision I am sure) and then some.

Unless there's something that causes it to be released, they generally don't release the list themselves. The packaging shots that are out for all of the new products are not necessarily finalized.

New Box Shot on the Toys R Us Website

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35291066

One shows 100 games with Gauntlet. The other only has 93 games.

Box shot has some nice spoilers... I see a M network game (AtGames is also doing Intellivision Flashback) and a Tempest prototype with the 5200 box.

Box shot has some nice spoilers... I see a M network game (AtGames is also doing Intellivision Flashback) and a Tempest prototype with the 5200 box.

Another benefit obviously of the Intellivision Flashback deal. I figure we could see some Coleco games on there too (Mouse Trap, Venture, Carnival).

Since 100 is more than 93, it would be cool to see them add just a few more!

Still wishing there were a 3DS or improved iOS collection of Atari, Colecovision, Sega and Intellivision collections, too.

Well for people like us, they could have 200 roms and it wouldn't be enough!

Oh! I thought someone said it would have M Network games.

The discussion was about the Intellivision Flashback in that comment I thought. I was clarifying that the Intellivision Flashback only has first party stuff on it. I'm not sure what mix of games is on the Atari Flashback 5.

• Like 1

The discussion was about the Intellivision Flashback in that comment I thought. I was clarifying that the Intellivision Flashback only has first party stuff on it. I'm not sure what mix of games is on the Atari Flashback 5.

I was talking about the Atari, figuring that's what they were as well! Given the thread title. :)

Since 100 is more than 93, it would be cool to see them add just a few more!

Still wishing there were a 3DS or improved iOS collection of Atari, Colecovision, Sega and Intellivision collections, too.

I would love a 3DS Collection. Playing games with iOS is garbage.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I see AT Games sells paddles seperately for $20. I'm thinking these will be compatible with FB5, so hopefully there will be some paddle games on there like Circus Atari & Night Driver...

I don't know the game list, but there are no electrical differences with the controller ports, so what worked on 3 and 4 will also work with 5, meaning all of the original controllers and, conversely, AtGames's reproduction controllers. Same thing with the Sega Classic Console 2 and its predecessor. We just really need to know the final word on any cross compatibility with the ColecoVision Flashback at this point and whether or not original controllers work on the Intellivision Flashback. Hopefully by next month.

• Like 1

I was reading the reviews for FB4 and found out there was an issue with the sensitivity for the paddles. Hopefully they will fix this for FB5 and at least add the following games since these were done by Atari:

Berzerk

Defender II

Ms. Pac Man

Pole Position

Superman

Wating and hoping for this...

I was reading the reviews for FB4 and found out there was an issue with the sensitivity for the paddles. Hopefully they will fix this for FB5 and at least add the following games since these were done by Atari:

Berzerk

Defender II

Ms. Pac Man

Pole Position

Superman

Wating and hoping for this...

I seriously doubt there will be any specific tweaks since the paddles worked fine. Any differences are not really noticeable unless you're specifically looking for them. We'll have to see if there are any overall improvements in the emulation engine, however, which is certainly possible, and that may further tweak controller timing.
Also, it's unlikely you'll see any of those games you listed, though Berzerk and Defender II/Stargate have more of a shot than any of the others. Superman, though, never in a million years due to the convoluted licensing. It's important to remember that original rights to games with attached external IPs never carry over and would need completely new agreements in place. Getting a DC license for what many consider a middling game at best would never be worth it, assuming DC didn't laugh the request out of the building in the first place.

Too bad Atari's legal team is adverse to even just renaming something or using the Sears alternate name. That would open up quite a few additions like Indy 500 (Which I don't think anyone is pining for, but when things like Super Sprint show up in arcade compilations and paddle games are included on these Flashbacks despite 95% of their buyers not having paddles, I'm sure they'd be including it with alternate joystick control if it was cleared).

And with a small amount of editing, something like Superman and Pole Position could easily be made non-infringing. All Pole Position needs is an edited title screen and removing or swapping the melodies like the start tune. And Superman as I recall doesn't really have any relation to the franchise beyond the name on the cartridge and the character sprite that is loosely reminiscent of Superman thanks to the coloring and the cape.

A capable AtariAge programmer probably would be more than able to fix such things up like Intellivision Production has done to a few of their classics to make them viable for rerelease.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1