IGNORED

Atari Flashback 5 New Features (Dream List)

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, honestly. I was pushing hard for consistency in the box art that was used, which is why they're all like that. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my review unit yet, so I don't know what version is on there either.

Guess I'll open mine up now and report back.

Judging by the Space Invaders art in front, I assumed it would be the arcade emulated version…. and I was right. Funny though… you see the red late release 2600 box art in the menu selection. So much for consistency. :lol:

Observations after spending a few seconds with the machine:

Hooray, power plug is wired in the rear!

Gotta say that the game selection and artwork chosen for some, strikes me as a bit odd. Frontline for example… you're treated to the Zellers/Taiwan type box art. :lol: Done on purpose because of licensing issues w/ Taito? But why, since the arcade Space Invaders artwork exists. Just weird seeing what was originally a rip off being passed off as "legit" on these things.

Centipede waves a bit slow on the title screen, but plays fine.

Didn't use the wireless controllers, but they feel nice and have a bit more throw to them than previous versions.

Why bother to include games like Earthworld, yuck?! lol But I've got similar questions for what's included on the Colecovision FB machine - must be there as filler is all.

Ironic how "the two worst games ever" still haven't made it to the FB's - yet you're treated to some real clunkers, not to mention the "edutainment" stuff. :rolling:

***Don't get me wrong… these FB's are a hoot! Very cool for what they are and seem to be getting better with each release (sans maybe that one 2600 FB model). Just some constructive nitpicking.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I won't be allowed to reveal further details on much of anything else until September, but I did want to clarify that in addition to the ColecoVision and Intellivision Flashbacks getting special Dollar General and Sam's Club editions, it looks like both the Atari Flashback 5 and Sega Classic Console will be getting the same treatment. I can't reveal the details of what those are yet, but just be aware that if you're interested in that type of thing, those will also have variations. Since I'll be able to talk about it in September, that should still provide plenty of time to make a final purchase decision. The Sega Genesis handheld unit is the only one that will be solely available in a standard edition. Even though AtGames prefers at this point to wait on releasing further info, I'll of course continue to do my best to try and clarify/correct any incorrect information or rumors.

Bill, since it is September, are you able to reveal anything about the Atari 5 FB Deluxe Edition for Sam's Club? Still wondering if this version will include paddles or any extra games?

Edited by atarifan88

There are no bonus games for the Atari Flashback. The special edition includes paddles, that's all.

But the way you said it back here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221409-atari-flashback-5-new-features-dream-list/?p=3046929 the Atari Flashback 5 and Sega would receive the same treatment as the Colecovision and Intellivision Flashback at Dollar General and Sam's Club.

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

But the way you said it back here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221409-atari-flashback-5-new-features-dream-list/?p=3046929 the Atari Flashback 5 and Sega would receive the same treatment as the Colecovision and Intellivision Flashback at Dollar General and Sam's Club.

Yes, meaning each one would get special editions, not that the special parts would be similar. I was purposely vague, but I didn't mean to be THAT vague.

• Like 1

Thanks for answering all our questions Bill! One more, do you know what the retail price for the atari fb 5 deluxe will be?

I'm afraid not. I don't know what the prices of any of the four special editions will be. I don't even know if they're all designed to hit the same price point like the five standard editions are.

For those of you out there with an FB5: could someone do me the favor of making a YouTube video showing all of the FB5's main menu pages (legibly)? I'd like to see the ordering of all the games, as well as how the titles are abbreviated, if they are (e.g., Return to Haunted House was listed, and alphabetically ordered, as "Haunted House II" on the FB4). I'm seeking this info for my website's Retro Plug-n-Play Video Game System Contents page. Originally, I'd planned to get this info from Bill L.'s video overview, but I don't think poor Bill's even going to have the time to make that now.

Thank you in advance.

onmode-ky

• 2 weeks later...

Dollar General now has their Atari Flashback 5 link up with "Coming Soon!" so you can sign up to receive an email when it's available.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15702686

Free Shipping with $40 Purchase! Up to $15 Shipping Credit.

About this product

The Classic is Back - this time with even more great games and wireless controls! Just plug & play on any TV. Powered by AC adapter. From Asteroids and Missile Command to Space Invaders and Yar's Revenge - the classics are all here! Includes 92 built-in games.
Game List

• 3D Tic-Tac-Toe
  • Adventure
  • Adventure II
  • Air Raiders
  • Air·Sea Battle
  • Aquaventure
  • Armor Ambush
  • Asteroids
  • Astroblast
  • Backgammon
  • Basketball
  • Black Jack
  • Bowling
  • Breakout
  • Canyon Bomber
  • Centipede
  • Championship Soccer
  • Chase It
  • Circus Atari
  • Combat
  • Combat Two
  • Crystal Castles
  • Dark Cavern
  • Demons to Diamonds
  • Desert Falcon
  • Dodge 'Em
  • Double Dunk
  • Escape It
  • Fatal Run
  • Flag Capture
  • Football
  • Frog Pond
  • Frogs And Flies
  • Front Line
  • Fun with Numbers
  • Golf
  • Gravitar
  • Hangman
  • Haunted House
  • Home Run
  • Human Cannonball
  • International Soccer
  • Jungle Hunt
  • Maze Craze
  • Miniature Golf
  • Miss It
  • Missile Command
  • Millipede
  • Night Driver
  • Off-the-Wall
  • Outlaw
  • Polaris
  • Pong (Video Olympics)
  • Realsports Baseball
  • Realsports Basketball
  • Realsports Soccer
  • Realsports Volleyball
  • Return to Haunted House
  • Saboteur
  • Save Mary
  • Sea Battle
  • Shield Shifter
  • Sky Diver
  • Slot Machine
  • Slot Racers
  • Space Attack
  • Space Invaders
  • Space War
  • Sprintmaster
  • Star Ship
  • Star Strike
  • Steeplechase
  • Stellar Track
  • Street Racer
  • Strip Off
  • Submarine Commander
  • Super Baseball
  • Super Breakout
  • Super Challenge Baseball
  • Super Challenge Football
  • Super Football
  • Surround
  • Sword Fight
  • Swordquest Earthworld
  • Swordquest Fireworld
  • Tempest
  • Video Checkers
  • Video Chess
  • Video Pinball
  • Wizard
  • Warlords
  • Yars' Revenge

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

I've been playing with the TRU version of the Flashback 5. I haven't played with one of these since the Flashback 2.1 but it seems quite faithful. The joysticks have a nice feel to them, a little looser than the originals (which is good) and the IR control is responsive so long as you keep it in line of sight.

The Atari Flashback 5, the ColecoVision Flashback, and the Intellivision Flashback all use the same power adapter, which keeps things slightly cleaner in my AV cabinet. I'd give real money to someone on Etsy who created a classy way to store, show, and play all 3 of these retro reproductions at once. There are a lot of wires!

Went to Sam's Club yesterday and asked about the availability of the Atari Flashback Deluxe Edition. They looked on their inventory computers (not the ones we would use via internet) and they claim they didn't even have an item number for it yet. They told me to check back after the release date, which they couldn't confirm either. So can anyone confirm if the release date for the deluxe editions are the same as the standard editions (10/1/14)?

Are you no longer doing an early review for this console?

No, there was no point. The units leaked everywhere early, so there were all kinds of impressions and videos already posted. It seemed redundant for me to do it as well. For what it's worth, the Atari Flashback 5 is exactly the same as the Flashback 4, just with a different mix of (more) games. I reviewed all three new consoles (none of the Sega stuff) for the next issue of RETRO in a rather lengthy article for them (with a pseudo console wars theme). That will be the only formal thing I'll be doing.

Bummer, I was looking forward to your comprehensive review. You're very thorough, and I prefer written reviews to videos for this kind of thing.

I make all the necessary points in the upcoming RETRO article, so I can't really undercut them. Like I said, the 5 is the same exact hardware as the 4, just with different games, and I think the issues with both the ColecoVision and Intellivision Flashbacks have been well detailed in these forums.

• Like 1

I stopped at my local Sam's Club today and they said 15 FB5's are on order and will be in by the end of the week. They confirmed it is the deluxe edition and it will be selling for $40 which is the same price as the TRU version without the paddles. To me it is worth the wait and I will abandon ordering a more expensive FB4 online.