IGNORED

Salvo

RevEng

Thanks for the kind words, guys! It means a lot to me that people are actually playing and enjoying the game. Also big thanks for those of you that left AA store reviews too!

if I was going to get an AtariVox+ sometime in the not too distant future, is there any way to use it with 2 stick play?

Unfortunately the AtariVox requires that second port. It communicates over 2 of the joystick direction pins, so there's no way to split it or share it.

Yes.

Is there a way to untrigger it?

No, there isn't. If you don't want to engage it, you have to avoid triggering it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ah, a Robotron/Berzerk crossover with another game? Clever. I like how it was tied in with Time Machine.

Haven't gotten very far yet though as I need to familiarize myself further, but I really like the references. Haven't seen the original game though.

Edit: game's quite fun. Not too used to the single shot limitation yet but I guess I'll get there. Some sound effects remind me of the Apple II.

Actually playing this a bit, it reminds me of the game Eyes. Got to a part in the first level where the entire maze became black. Wonder what that was about...

Edited by Tangentg

So then your game over?

No...your shots can repel the Hulk but only when you are firing at him like in Robotron 2084...you still play as long as you have lives but you cannot see the grid.

When the last enemy is shot down the screen resets for the next level.

Edited by NIKON

No...your shots can repel the Hulk but only when you are firing at him like in Robotron 2084...you still play as long as you have lives but you cannot see the grid.

When the last enemy is shot down the screen resets for the next level.

I have a hard time tracking where I am

Especially when I pick up people. I think I am them. More color contrast in the character could have helped but then would not have looked as good. I dunno I just suck at this game like lucky if I can get to level 2 and extremely lucky to get to 3. So it is arcade like.

I have a hard time tracking where I am

Especially when I pick up people. I think I am them. More color contrast in the character could have helped but then would not have looked as good. I dunno I just suck at this game like lucky if I can get to level 2 and extremely lucky to get to 3. So it is arcade like.

Here is a little hint for when the screen goes dark.....I have noticed while playing this game that our hero does not stop under or beside the grid blocks...so if you move the little guy side to side or up and down he will line up with an open path. you will have to get a feel for the movement of our hero. Become one with the game....it is actually quite fun....I have only made it to level 5 myself

Edited by NIKON

Here is a little hint for when the screen goes dark.....I have noticed while playing this game that our hero does not stop under or beside the grid blocks...so if you move the little guy side to side or up and down he will line up with an open path. you will have to get a feel for the movement of our hero. Become one with the game....it is actually quite fun....I have only made it to level 5 myself

It is a fun game for sure. I think twin sticking it would be the way to go.

It is a very well put together game.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity (and sramirez2008's curiosity :) ) I videoed myself trying T:ME Salvo with the AtariVox -- attached to a splitter...the other end of the splitter? Another controller. Wanted to see if two-controller mode would actually work with the AtariVox. Pretty interesting!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Didn't keep track of this thread and was previously unaware of the Crossfire game (which I've since played on the TI) and also watched videos of the A8 version. Been playing T:ME Salvo lately and have a few questions or observations:

This game sports tiled movement, Crossfire does not. When 'resting' you're always exposed/vulnerable, no hiding behind a rectangular square. haha Was this done on purpose?

Horizontal movement runs twice(?) as fast as vertical. Crossfire's movement is consistent either way.

Atarivox speech support seems borked. I get crazy blurbs of "speech" once in a while. Can't make heads or tails out of it. lol (high score saving works just fine)

...I know, I know T:ME Salvo is NOT Crossfire. Perhaps some of these changes were done purposefully to differentiate, but after playing Crossfire (TI-99/4A) for the first time recently, digging that game a little more. AND I DON'T WANT TO! :rolling:

Is it possible there could be a "fix" for the horizontal movement so that it matches the vertical? Vertical speed is perfectly fine. Horizontal is way too fast. And the tiled movement too... totally robs the player of some stealth strategy. Would be nice if one of the difficulty switches switched that "feature" off.

And those pesky humanoids... found myself wishing I could drop them somewhere (like a safe space pen or door they exit) instead of lugging them around until they're picked off or you complete a level. The rat bastards like to keep such distance when on the move, making them easy targets.

Love the story. Love the concept. Love the two joystick play. Love the enemies, sounds, graphics - all that. But, but, but... :)

Didn't keep track of this thread and was previously unaware of the Crossfire game (which I've since played on the TI) and also watched videos of the A8 version. Been playing T:ME Salvo lately and have a few questions or observations:

This game sports tiled movement, Crossfire does not. When 'resting' you're always exposed/vulnerable, no hiding behind a rectangular square. haha Was this done on purpose?

While I haven't played the TI version, the Atari 8-bit and C64 ports play exactly the same (albeit a little slower) regarding the tiled movement experienced under the 7800 port; including, tiled direction for those three ports: Atari 8bit, C64, and 7800, can be changed midway and reversed instantly.

Atarivox speech support seems borked. I get crazy blurbs of "speech" once in a while. Can't make heads or tails out of it. lol (high score saving works just fine)

I believe there is 1 maybe 2 other people who reported experiencing something similar since being sold. Never occurred or reported during the extensive testing that was performed. Ditto with the game Dungeon Stalker. I know it has been looked at but nothing conclusively yet as a definitive root cause. It is one of those odd-ended hardware compatibility issues that has been expereinced with other hardware as well, unfortunately. :(

And those pesky humanoids... found myself wishing I could drop them somewhere (like a safe space pen or door they exit) instead of lugging them around until they're picked off or you complete a level. The rat bastards like to keep such distance when on the move, making them easy targets.

From my own perspective, I found the game much less challenging, including too easy to quickly advance levels. I would often ignore them when I didn't have to worry about the humanoids constantly. Forcing them to stay with the player and keep them alive, helps keep me honest when playing.

I guess it is just a matter of different strokes for different folks. ;)

...Horizontal is way too fast...

Ha...I love the horizontal speed difference (See previous statement). :-D

Nonetheless, all good suggestions...If only there were a sequel...

• Like 4

Can see it now... T:ME Salvo II - featuring Dr. Who and The Daleks! The brain graphic already kinda looks like Tom Baker.... :rolling:

I'll have to play some more Dungeon Stalker to be sure, but doesn't seem like it stops speaking like others have reported. I remember sending in my AtariVox to have it updated at one point, but that was years and years ago.

Oh, and I can see now that the other versions feature tiled movement - thanks for confirming that. TI version must be unique then as it definitely does not.

Tried two other ports of Crossfire: Vic-20 and Apple II.

Vic-20 controls like its younger sibling, C64, and the Atari 8-bit port.

The Apple II version, interestingly enough, appears to continuously move in the same direction last pressed, until it can go no further in that direction (Reaches playfield border), the player never seems to stop at any point. I have a feeling analog joystick (settings) may play a role in the behavior though.

If Keatah catches wind of this thread, he may be able to offer more insight, as I believe he's a pretty hardcore Apple II fan with much of the original hardware and peripherals on-hand.

Anyhow, has everyone unlocked Santa? He has a lot of free time available since Christmas has passed...

post-18-0-62607400-1515125220_thumb.png

If Santa is unlock and after the game ends, ensure you wait for the other "change". ;)

• Like 1

Tried two other ports of Crossfire: Vic-20 and Apple II.

Vic-20 controls like its younger sibling, C64, and the Atari 8-bit port.

The Apple II version, interestingly enough, appears to continuously move in the same direction last pressed, until it can go no further in that direction (Reaches playfield border), the player never seems to stop at any point. I have a feeling analog joystick (settings) may play a role in the behavior though.

If Keatah catches wind of this thread, he may be able to offer more insight, as I believe he's a pretty hardcore Apple II fan with much of the original hardware and peripherals on-hand.

Anyhow, has everyone unlocked Santa? He has a lot of free time available since Christmas has passed...

TIMESANTA.PNG

If Santa is unlock and after the game ends, ensure you wait for the other "change". ;)

I need to unlock it while still Christmas season, and enjoy the festivities with the other 'change'. I really need to play this some more this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Downloaded Salvo tried out emulated on the PC. Wow, very good game!

I really would like to try this out on my 7800 console with the recently released Twinstick 3d printed coupler, but the store shows wish list option only at which I added my name. :(

Will the game be available again and at different price points of boxed or just the cart?

T:ME Salvo Cart Atari Age Store - https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1101

• 2 weeks later...

The game back in stock at the Atari Age Store, placed an order. :-D

@ RevEng - Since I have already played the emulated version, posted an in depth review back on Racketboy. Many know the Crossfire and Robotron inspiration in this game, see my review if I correctly surmised two additional games.

T:ME SALVO CRTGAMER Review - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1125754#p1125754

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

For anyone who has experienced or is experiencing issues with the AtariVox malfunctioning with T:ME Salvo, Dungeon Stalker, or any other Vox supported game whether 2600 or 7800, please see this post. It is reiterated below for convenience:

Hey guys, after continuous nights of testing and consulting with a friend with electronics experience... I have finally found the solution I was looking for! :)

I don't care much for the Vectrex portions of AtariVox+, so we basically configured it as an AtariVox original and it's all quite simple... we just removed the PIC chip! Afterwards, I have played back to back games of WoW, and other AtariVox games with no gibberish and no resetting. See picture below.

So removing the PIC chip works. What does that tell us? My electronics friend found the PIC Vss pin (gnd) connects to the ground through DIP switch number 3. Since that DIP switch is "off" in normal Atari 2600 mode, this leaves the PIC with a floating ground, essentially turning the PIC off. DIP switches 4 and 5 bypass the PIC, however the PIC is still attached to the circuit and in conjunction with the floating ground is causing unexpected behavior on the data lines. This is why the alcohol was working as it was trapped under the PIC thereby changing the behavior on a temporary basis.

Best of all, if a solution is found to either reflash or replace the PIC chip, it can simply be soldered back on.

post-18-0-79487700-1547007100_thumb.jpg

TL;DR - To fix the issue, desolder the PIC chip highlighted above, if there is no need/interest in the Vectrex support.

• Like 2