IGNORED

Salvo

RevEng

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Life has been super busy, but I managed to squeeze in a few hours of coding time today. The enemy in the dark is now implemented, and I dialed up the speed at which humanoids appear on the screen. Its not wise to completely ignore the humanoids now, but it's possible to get by if you save just one or two a board, which I think is a good balance.

Lots of updates to eventually come... My programmer graphics need revamping at some point, the humanoid scoring will be updated, robotron style controls to be added, the title screen needs to be implemented, and probably there will be some tinkering with the power-up system.

You can find the updated binaries in the first post of this thread.

• Like 3

Didn't perform too shabby after a few games...

post-18-0-71106300-1412080343_thumb.png

Man oh man, preserve at least one humanoid...

Or else, Dr. Banner gets belted by gamma rays...

post-18-0-81974700-1412080448_thumb.png

Like Robotron, he homes in on you, bullets do not kill him, but do push him back/slow him, and just when you think you knocked him off the screen/level, something else occurs.

Love the 'disappearance move' he does when a game ends/new one starts.

• Like 2

Has anyone uploaded a new video of the update yet? Or is it too minor to replace Trebor's earlier video?

Definitely, not minor, IMHO - The Hulk is a very significant part of this game. Any who thought there may be too much 'babysitting' allowed, will be pleasantly surprised. The challenge along with additional excitement - has been upped. You often (if not always) need to save at least one humanoid...That incredible jerk Hulk coming at you with a "dark" board, in addition to the remaining enemies, will bring you to your demise.

I didn't post a new video yet (Only the captures) to give more a chance to play it firsthand, as opposed to me "spoiling" anything. ;)

Unless there's objection, I'll get a new video up sometime tonight. :)

Eh, screw it...Don't watch if you rather avoid spoilers. :P

Just a real quick video, until I can get something more decent up, or until the next ROM release.

It highlights the Hulk well enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmxvRDUfhI

• Like 5

Thanks for the cart requests, guys. Definitely I'll do a run when the game is done. :)

@Trebor: you are so deft at finding bugs! I didn't anticipate people shooting the hulk completely off the screen and having him eventually wrap through the screen... I like it, though I'll probably tweak it so he returns the same way he was knocked off the screen. I also noticed a small bug where you can sometimes lodge the hulk in one of the blocks, which will have to go. And thanks for the video!

I noticed you led a couple of the humanoids to their death. I always feel a bit guilty doing that, but it happens more than I like to admit. :lol:

@Paul Westphal: I'm going to see how far I can push TIA for now. The final game may have some pokey tunes, but I'll have to see what the state of hokey and XM is when the game is closer to getting wrapped before deciding what the cart hardware will be.

• Like 3

I didn't anticipate people shooting the hulk completely off the screen and having him eventually wrap through the screen... I like it, though I'll probably tweak it so he returns the same way he was knocked off the screen.

Please don't change it so he appears back where you knocked him off. The Hulk popping out from 'nowhere', at least from the opposite area he appeared, definitely upped the ante.

Seriously, gave me the "Oh, Sh..!" response when I saw him pop back in from the bottom. It was awesome. :-D

Maybe, if possible, make it so The Hulk appears on the side closest to where your player is located. :evil: