IGNORED

Js99'er

Asmusr

I am loving this! I spent three hours at work checking out the games...excellent! But, I have no sound. Win7 64 bit. Explorer.

Is it something I am missing? Something I am doing wrong?

Thanks. Only IE Edge has sound, earlier versions don't implement the Web Audio API. Alternatively you can use Firefox or Chrome.

The sound seems to be a bit off in Firefox. The sounds on the TI start up and selection screens are high pitched here. Tried the first few games, and it seems that a certain frequency range has been affected. Anyone else experiencing this??

Welcome to JS99'er
Version 5.1.9, 10 January 2016

PC reset to >0024
Web Audio API detected
AudioContext: sample rate is 96000
PC reset to >0024
Start
Frame 0 running
Database opened OK.
Executing disk DSR power-up routine.

The sound seems to be a bit off in Firefox. The sounds on the TI start up and selection screens are high pitched here. Tried the first few games, and it seems that a certain frequency range has been affected. Anyone else experiencing this??

Welcome to JS99'er

Version 5.1.9, 10 January 2016

PC reset to >0024

Web Audio API detected

AudioContext: sample rate is 96000

PC reset to >0024

Start

Frame 0 running

Database opened OK.

Executing disk DSR power-up routine.

It's unusual that you get sample rate of 96000. The usual value is 44100. It looks like I'm assuming a sample rate of 44100 in the sound implementation, but I can try to change it to use the sample rate of the Audio Context. Look out for the next update.

A quick fix for the sound issue is to go to Hardware & Sound in the Control Panel (Win7). Open the Sound applet, and change the audio format under the Speaker properties Advanced tab option to "24 bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)". The default is "24 bit 96000 Hz (Studio Quality)" on my laptop's Realtek audio chipset & driver. I just have to switch it back for my music/video/bluray needs.

It looks like Firefox grabs the Web Audio API's AudioContext from the audio format settings of your system's sound driver. DUH!! -- should of thought of that earlier.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issues.

Much thanks Rasmus for such a nice emulator. Just need to snag a bluetooth keyboard for my phone and tablet(s).

It would be SO nice if JS99er could use a WAV as a cassette for loading with OLD CS1 or RUN "CS1" command, and actually produce the sound of the cassette too. Or to use SAVE CS1 and have it spit out a WAV to the downloads folder maybe?

That said - if you don't wanna do it, fair enough - its already an awesome emulator :)

A quick fix for the sound issue is to go to Hardware & Sound in the Control Panel (Win7). Open the Sound applet, and change the audio format under the Speaker properties Advanced tab option to "24 bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)". The default is "24 bit 96000 Hz (Studio Quality)" on my laptop's Realtek audio chipset & driver. I just have to switch it back for my music/video/bluray needs.

It looks like Firefox grabs the Web Audio API's AudioContext from the audio format settings of your system's sound driver. DUH!! -- should of thought of that earlier.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issues.

Much thanks Rasmus for such a nice emulator. Just need to snag a bluetooth keyboard for my phone and tablet(s).

I did fix the issue with the sample rate, but sometimes my changes fail to be distributed through the automatic updating system (which is based on the HTML5 app cache). I have now disabled the cache, so if you do a manual reload of the page it should work. You should see version number 5.1.12 in the log.

It would be SO nice if JS99er could use a WAV as a cassette for loading with OLD CS1 or RUN "CS1" command, and actually produce the sound of the cassette too. Or to use SAVE CS1 and have it spit out a WAV to the downloads folder maybe?

That said - if you don't wanna do it, fair enough - its already an awesome emulator :)

I don't know enough about the cassette interface to be able to evaluate whether this would be possible, but it seems to me that the synchronization between the CPU emulation reading the input and the playback of the wav files would be a problem.

isn't there a web ap to just convert the cassete wav to a file suitable for the emu? you can do wav to mess too but really is it necessary other than to prove it can be done

It's nothing more than a pure nostalgia trip to type old cs1 and have it load a tape ... Being British, that appeals in a retro way to me because believe me not many of us tight-fisted Brits paid out for a disk drive or 32k ram ... It was tapes or carts. It's a silly notion really in the broad sense, it's gonna load a game whether we type run dsk1.whatever or old cs1 :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Think we might ever get the ability to paste from the clipboard? Or maybe have a text area that we can paste stuff into that then can be stuffed into the keyboard buffer?

I tried once to implement pasting as a series of simulated key presses, but the behavior was so erratic that I disabled the code. I would probably have to work directly with the keyboard buffer as in Classic99 for pasting to work, but I haven't looked into how to do that yet.

Don't use delays, you won't be compatible with all cases.

Classic99 does pasting by intercepting calls to KSCAN, which means it works at any speed.

The PS/2 keyboard adapter does pasting too, and it has to simulate key-presses. It works by counting changes to the column - every 8 changes it changes state, releasing the key, then selecting the next key. This works reliably everywhere I've tested it. :)

• Like 2