IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Mike was asking forgiveness, patience and to trust him. Cybercylon was was laying out the path to achieve those goals.

He sounded to me like he was demanding updates. That's hardly being patient. I say take as much time as he needs to do it right. When he has a concrete design then it would be appropriate to share. Giving too much info early in the design process will likely set false expectations and lead to further crusifiction by the participants in this thread.

Heck, with a Pi for 5$ you could almost put the entire thing into a cart shell, make it preprogrammed with the game and all and just have the console be a empty shell with a connector for the TV and power :P.

Now that's some high-tech. Every cart it's own console! And it can be made on the cheap!... Or it's the stupidest idea ever and i will go and cry in a hole in the ground.

• Like 11

I think Mike is getting a pretty bumpy ride. If he shuts up it's vaporware. If he makes speculative statements they are picked apart and deemed lies when things change. Likewise, he has to appease big companies and manufacturers but also us retro gamers at a ground level. It's a niche market but requires the momentum of a non-niche gadget. Mistakes were made. Mistakes are being made. All I know is that I have neither the balls or foolishness to attempt what he is doing - TWICE.

Let's call him out but also encourage forward progress. I missed out on the FPGA Arcade. The Chameleon64 is too expensive. This is a step forward.

I see your point but to go less than an hour or so between saying he didn't know the PR firm changed the press release to admitting he did is pretty hard to "ignore" and give "good will" over. Which is it? Then you have TWO versions of the press release POSTED on RETROVGS.com/press (I have pics of both), one that sites like Kotaku based their EXTREMELY popular, click producing, headlines on and then after backlash started, ANOTHER version of the press release is made available "clearing up the confusion". Keep in mind, NO attempt has been made by Mr. Kennedy or his PR firm to correct the "big name" sites on their fallacy in this situation- that would mean stopping the traffic and we can't have that. They have to bury the failed IndieGoGo campaign, the negative press, etc with Google and other search engines. The only way to do that is to let sites like Kotaku, Gamespot, etc run wild with, obviously misleading lies, and then play the sympathy card of "we didn't know".

That doesn't work when there are people that know how to take a screen shot here and there.

I don't wish bad anything to this project. I hope they get it going, that it becomes something better than it has been alluded to in the twists and turns from the management. If it fails then I have one less thing to write about and that just sucks. I wish I could just write positive, happy go lucky, articles in support of the great stuff that Mr. Kennedy is doing with the Coleco Chameleon but that is not the case because there are too many lies, misnomers and misleading efforts going on.

• Like 8

So first "PR" did it at the last minute, then the truth comes out that Mike himself made the call on adding the deceitful information. Sounds like he got the Coleco name secured and couldn't wait even a moment to divert any amount of the well earned negativity towards the RVGS. Alas it was only lies and deceit from use the the Coleco name that could drive even the blind away from the damage and it's came back to bite him two fold. I feel bad that those involved with this "CC" (namely Mike) are\is so desperate that they\he are willing to go to the lengths they have. It's become so toxic that the only thing left are the punchlines.

• Like 10

Mike, who is your PR firm? Can you tell me their name? I would like to follow up with them on some points, in an effort to provide nothing but factual information in my articles concerning their client (you and the Coleco Chameleon).

Also, can you verify/deny telling Collectorvision to stop talking with the press? This was chronicled earlier in this thread and in this article - http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/12/22/mike-kennedy-breaks-silence-about-coleco-chameleon-while-3rd-party-developer-stops-talking-to-press/

Edited by triverse
  • Like 6

I wish people would have asked Mike decent questions when he was here so we at least had something to go on instead of being little titty babies whining about the Coleco name which hasn't been relevant in games anyways since 1984.

Newsflash, people buy Atari merch because they respect something that has had that logo on it. They don't give a damn if Nolan Bushnell is getting any money off of it. Coleco has been licensed to handhelds and dumb shit with Sega games, etc, so worrying about their name on this console is the least of anyone's worries. The only people mad would be the 400 biggest Coleco blowhards left in the world who weren't gonna buy this anyways. If I could buy rainbow Coleco shit tickets, I would. We had the perfect opportunity to ask about games and weasel useful info and it just went fanboy in 5.2 seconds.

Edited by bretthorror
  • Like 2

I wish people would have asked Mike decent questions when he was here so we at least had something to go on instead of being little titty babies whining about the Coleco name which hasn't been relevant in games anyways since 1984.

It's weird how making outrageous statements and promises in the past could come back to bite someone in the behind, today. Weird, I tell ya.

• Like 4

Newsflash, people buy Atari merch because they respect something that has had that logo on it. They don't give a damn if Nolan Bushnell is getting any money off of it. Coleco has been licensed to handhelds and dumb shit with Sega games, etc, so worrying about their name on this console is the least of anyone's worries. The only people mad would be the 400 biggest Coleco blowhards left in the world who weren't gonna buy this anyways. If I could buy rainbow Coleco shit tickets, I would. We had the perfect opportunity to ask about games and weasel useful info and it just went fanboy in 5.2 seconds.

I believe that is what I have been doing, I can't help it if my questions are being ignored.

Heck, with a Pi for 5$ you could almost put the entire thing into a cart shell, make it preprogrammed with the game and all and just have the console be a empty shell with a connector for the TV and power :P.

Now that's some high-tech. Every cart it's own console! And it can be made on the cheap!... Or it's the stupidest idea ever and i will go and cry in a hole in the ground.

I've heard a lot worse ideas.

Some systems were similar to this... some old pong-type systems, and Microvision.

• Like 2

I just don't get the need for cartridges as a storage medium and game size limitations. I get it downloading patches can be a gigantic pain and when buying a console port on Steam having it be 36 gigs because it wasn't optimized is a bit annoying. I also understand that some people want physical media and not everyone has fast internet or even has fast internet as an option depending on where they live. I'm on DSL I know your pain.

But at the same time better physical media options are available. You can use SD cards I mean even DVD discs could be used for a more traditional approach. Its just a self imposed technological limitation based on nothing but nostalgia and hey remember the 1980s? This isn't 1994 either with 1x CD drives like the Neo Geo CD had you can make disc based games that load quick and use programming tricks to make loading seamless.

Dude; if he can't be truthful about one thing, why would you believe anything else?

• Like 4

I believe that is what I have been doing, I can't help it if my questions are being ignored.

Eh, to be fair, mine was ignored too, so maybe it wouldn't have made a difference and he wanted solely to address that one because it's the only one that doesn't matter. Specs, games, etc. are tough and he'd be held accountable to it, talking about Coleco is just pitter patter.

Why continue to pursue a crowdfunding approach to this when you seem to want to start an actual business? Why not raise the funding yourself, prove the concept by actually generating some sales and by answering to real investors? I think that perhaps at the end of the day, the answer to all of these questions is the same. Deep down you know this isn't viable and putting the actual time and effort into doing this right would just distract you from your ability to live in this fantasy world you've created where you can launch a viable niche hardware and software business in the modern era with little or no money, experience or relationships and have it become a massive success.

I agree - I think at this point the best course of action now would be to secure your own funding and keep Kickstarter (or any crowdfunding) out of it.

• Like 2

There is a really dumb typo on the press release page. Can you find it? If it were burned onto a ROM cartridge, would that make it an "Easter Egg?"

If it were a good game, in an attractive enclosure, at the right price, I'd be all over that! It could even be encrypted or otherwise protected against piracy. That's a much more creative idea than "more cartridges."

This thread is toxic.

This thread is trying to find facts to fill in the massive gaps in RVGS's statements. This thread calls out hypocrisy, exaggerations, and tall tales. This thread would not exist if not for the ludicrous claims of Mike Kennedy.

It's weird how making outrageous statements and promises in the past could come back to bite someone in the behind, today. Weird, I tell ya.

This is weirder:

That "COLECO is Back" title was added at the last minute by our PR firm. And I guess we can all debate what "Back" means. In a sense it is back. Even if in name only. The future of what that means remains to be seen. If this product, with the COLECO name on it, becomes a success at some level, then what will that mean? Is it "back" then? Is there a future in that brand to bring out or lend their name to other "new" products? I really don't think most are reading much more into it other than, "Hey, it would be cool to see that brand name back on a new product." The Chameleon will be the first "new" forward thinking product to adorn that brand name and none of us know where it could take the brand. It was never our intention to indicate this was anything but a licensing deal.
  • Like 8

I've heard a lot worse ideas.

Some systems were similar to this... some old pong-type systems, and Microvision.

When I mentioned that idea it was in jest because you could literally put a damn Pi in a cart shell and it'd be cheaper, exactly why I think a system like this can fake it a bit. No one's gonna care as long as it's reliable and the price is reasonable.

I just don't get the need for cartridges as a storage medium and game size limitations. I get it downloading patches can be a gigantic pain and when buying a console port on Steam having it be 36 gigs because it wasn't optimized is a bit annoying. I also understand that some people want physical media and not everyone has fast internet or even has fast internet as an option depending on where they live. I'm on DSL I know your pain.

But at the same time better physical media options are available. You can use SD cards I mean even DVD discs could be used for a more traditional approach. Its just a self imposed technological limitation based on nothing but nostalgia and hey remember the 1980s? This isn't 1994 either with 1x CD drives like the Neo Geo CD had you can make disc based games that load quick and use programming tricks to make loading seamless.

Everyone has a soft spot for carts, the idea of a new retro system does make sense with how hot things are, but you need someone with a modern thinking approach to do this right, not people who don't know what happened to games beyond 1993. CD's wouldn't be retro enough because they're already in use. It's just they could cheat in so many ways and make a good product instead of trying to re-create shit that was done because nothing else was feasible. I think the system needs to have more in common with a plug n' play or Raspberry Pi to get off the ground. The market for this is niche, it has to take the path of least resistance. The hardcore collector might scoff, but they also haven't played a game they own since 2007. No biggie.

Dude; if he can't be truthful about one thing, why would you believe anything else?

I am in no way defending the guy - believe that. I just wish we could have learned about online, pricing, specs, whatever we could have got out of him. It could be he purposely didn't wanna talk about that, anyways. He already made his apologies and amends in his initial post. I'm not the guy's biggest fan, I don't even know the guy, but I am a human being, and I know the guy can't do anything more than apologize and move forward. So smattering him repeatedly on trust issues is totally moot. I don't think anyone here thinks the man is a thief and he doesn't have a dime of anyone's cash. If you invest in his product with your cash and he fucks up, that's on him and you. But he's not done anything yet that we need to stone him to death for.

Over 1,500 words in this latest "hub" article detailing pretty much my disgust with this situation. The "gloves" are off so to speak. I am holding their feet to the fire they started. It is as unbiased as I possibly could be in light of the B.S. I had to sift through.

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/12/23/more-trouble-with-coleco-chameleon-surfaces-revisionist-history-spotted/

• Like 8

When I mentioned that idea it was in jest because you could literally put a damn Pi in a cart shell and it'd be cheaper, exactly why I think a system like this can fake it a bit. No one's gonna care as long as it's reliable and the price is reasonable.

Yep, I understand. Several good points can be made of it, though. One is that $5 gets you at least somewhat close to the power/functionality of the RVGSCC & cart combo.

• Like 1

194 pages in this thread! Obsess much? You guys act like mike has murdered someone. You need to go play some games and chill.

The sheer amount of discussion that this thread represents could easily have been all positive had Mike just handled things properly. Instead, it is full of distaste for how he has mishandled what could have been a rocket to the moon of support.

• Like 6