IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I know at the same time I don't think anyone beside you NEEDs to know irrelevant details (to the story I mean) about your personal life either.

There's always this argument brought up about "If you don't have anything to hide then you should have no problem disclaiming everything" BS .... I don't see why my cholesterol number has to be public knowledge, or my deviated nasal septum, or my molar crown etc...etc... so that when I talk about something I am really expert on I can be believe/trusted .... ;)

I am perfectly fine if you edit irrelevant details. Trustworthiness does not require full disclosure of uncorrelated data.

I took your advice and edited the picture to remove names of clients, personal contacts and telephone information for the Konami contact. They may not appreciate that being public and I don't feel like waiting for them to contact me to remove it.

Edit to add:

It seems the 1984 revisionist history is in full effect on their Facebook page. They have purged all of my comments, even the ones HELPING them from the comments. Good job guys, cutting off your nose to spite your face with that one. I hope someone from your team gets in there and comments with corrections, like I did, to all of those questions about where their money is from the IGG campaign and similar. Or did you delete those too since they don't fit your view on what you want as the public opinion to be?

Edited by triverse
  • Like 8

I took your advice and edited the picture to remove names of clients, personal contacts and telephone information for the Konami contact. They may not appreciate that being public and I don't feel like waiting for them to contact me to remove it.

DELETED all my past "joke" posts, let the innocents stay innocents ;)

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Thank you. Weird how a little bit of civil communication goes a long way.

That's because there's no money involved here, if there was .... it would have wounded up a very different way. When I smell money I become this ruthless shark that stops at nothing .... no I don't but you get what I mean.

Peace.

EDIT: Maybe the admins should clean up a little all the irrelevant posts as they add nothing to the story here, or NOT, it's their forum too and so far this topic has 250K+ visits (that's a lot of visits and explains why Mike HAS to attempt damage control or whatever he's trying to do)

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

Here are screen grabs of the "evidence" submitted by Mister Kennedy. My, aren't we getting formal here?

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/16277-mike-spams-the-industry-1-of-6/

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/16278-mike-spams-the-industry-2-of-6/

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/16279-mike-spams-the-industry-3-of-6/

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/16280-mike-spams-the-industry-4-of-6/

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/16281-mike-spams-the-industry-5-of-6/

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/16282-mike-spams-the-industry-6-of-6/

As you can see, Mister Kennedy has definitely sent solicitous messages to several industry people. Isn't he awesome?

As you can see, nobody said yes to anything except for the vague possibility of meetings. Maybe this is because he has offered them nothing except for hopes and dreams.

I believe the industry term for this is "friendzoned."

• Like 4

EDIT: Maybe the admins should clean up a little all the irrelevant posts as they add nothing to the story here, or NOT, it's their forum too and so far this topic has 250K+ visits (that's a lot of visits and explains why Mike HAS to attempt damage control or whatever he's trying to do)

Why? Disk space is cheap. We don't want the appearance of censorship, like the RetroVGS Facebook page.

• Like 1

Why? Disk space is cheap. We don't want the appearance of censorship, like the RetroVGS Facebook page.

The clutter of unrelated posts also does not help the topic either ... it's not censorship, it's just good hygiene to keep the topic flowing.

The last 4 pages full of bashing were not so fun to go thru (for me, mind you, others may enjoy and it's their prerogative), I did dig the first couple but then it became same old same old (again for me), everyone should feel free to add whatever.

For sure the exchange between me and triverse did nothing about the topic so it would not "hide the truth" if it were to be "lost".

He says that I never had any "real" discussions with Konami? Well, here you go Carl! http://readretro.com/news/kennedy-rajna-konami-proof-of-discussions-seeking-opportunities/

Password: CWILLIAMS

You do realize that is REALLY unprofessional to have released like this. I mean, had you sent that to me in a PM then I would have been bound by journalistic integrity (which I take seriously, as you surely know) to not release ANY of that or comment on it publicly other than to state something along the lines of you are definitely doing whatever is contained within that password protected section. I have not read it because it is not publicly available- I have commented on the one pic that has been released publicly by someone else, and will do so only on public information. Why? Journalistic integrity. Some of still have it- that is why I write the articles about your company, your efforts and those of others like I do.

I am not in this to make friends, just to bring the truth to the forefront. In that journey, I will continue. Attack me on a failed Kickstarter all you want- I have already proven you are batting .666 on Kickstarter and if we add in IGG your average drops to .5 with crowdfunding. I am batting zero as far as gaming stuff goes but if you figure in my bead art campaigns I am batting .666 so we can throw statistics around all day long. Attacking me because I failed to reach $1,000 on KS is pretty bullying of you. I mean, who put you in contact with Dave Halverson, Rob Duenas and many others over the years? Such as Nolan Bushnell, whom you wussed out on contacting for your Atari Landfill article (and offered to me to handle if I wanted to for your magazine- in all of my "tabloid hack skills"). Am I lying about that too? Please refresh my memory on when you followed through on that interview and got one of the biggest names in retro gaming in your magazine. No skin off my back that you failed on that, I mean, I didn't even care to have credit for arranging the interview with Nolan Bushnell, but I have it out for you. Yeah. That sounds about right.

Edit to add:

I put the effort in to put you in contact with Rob Duenas, Dave Halverson and Nolan Bushnell out of the interest of supporting the retro gaming community as a whole. Not once did I ask for money for that work, even though it was conversed through my, then, company e-mail so it should be taken as my PR firm handling a non-client situation. I did it to HELP you and your magazine. How is that "out to get you" in any way? Also, please point out in ANY article, post, twitter comment, etc where I made this information public. I haven't, I do it here because you are making false claims that I am wanting you to fail in some way- why would I want that? I would have less to write about which is counterproductive to my "tabloid" roots.

Edited by triverse
  • Like 10

Better move fast, though. I have a lot of interest from everyone in my big fat Rolodex. I have tapped deep into my contacts and friends of contacts which are all legitimate contacts in the industry.

Be careful; those COLECOs will rust up on you.

Always be... COLECOing, I guess :)

• Like 1

Hey Everyone.

for his own gain. Do you guys think I am out of line here?

You are being out of line.

The fact is the very first sentence of your press release, including the "corrected" one, is a blatant lie. It is deliberately misleading.

ideo-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

This isn't a "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father/he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker" from a different point of view kind of thing. A licensed name can't be a "video-game industry pioneer". A pioneer is either a person or possibly a company. Someone who acquired a name a few months ago can't by any stretch of the imagination be considered a pioneer. So just that one opening sentence says that you want people to falsely believe that someone from the original Colecovision team is involved or that the (long gone) company is still around and is getting involved. A horrible start to your resurrection campaign.

And then you posted the Konami emails. That just made it worse. It's clear they are saying "stop using our name to pimp your product". They are being nice about it, but unless you have a giant novelty check, they aren't going to make or even license titles for your console. And even then you would have to get in a line behind Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

BTW, even getting the "real" Coleco, would have been worthless in terms of retro games. Coleco had almost no original game IP they could freely license. All their games were either arcade ports or licensed properties (e.g. Smurfs, Rocky, War Games, Tarzan). This is why the AtGames Flashback was so disappointing since many famous titles couldn't be licensed. It's like the problem INTV has with the Tron titles, but instead it's 95% of Coleco's titles. So what real value is the Coleco name as far as retro-gaming? Sure they had a lot of decent arcade ports but wouldn't people rather just play the real arcade games?

• Like 7

The clutter of unrelated posts also does not help the topic either ... it's not censorship, it's just good hygiene to keep the topic flowing.

The last 4 pages full of bashing were not so fun to go thru (for me, mind you, others may enjoy and it's their prerogative), I did dig the first couple but then it became same old same old (again for me), everyone should feel free to add whatever.

For sure the exchange between me and triverse did nothing about the topic so it would not "hide the truth" if it were to be "lost".

Well, how would you decide what stays and what goes, without taking sides? Triverse is summarizing his view of the story (quite comprehensively and objectively, in my opinion), Wikipedia has a concise summary of what has actually been announced (not much), and RetroVgs has its website and Facebook fan page. A curious person should be able to read what she likes and make a determination from the many sources out there. I've seen some gentle mockery but (again, in my opinion) nothing that should be taken down.
  • Like 1

Well, how would you decide what stays and what goes, without taking sides? Triverse is summarizing his view of the story (quite comprehensively and objectively, in my opinion), Wikipedia has a concise summary of what has actually been announced (not much), and RetroVgs has its website and Facebook fan page. A curious person should be able to read what she likes and make a determination from the many sources out there. I've seen some gentle mockery but (again, in my opinion) nothing that should be taken down.

I was mainly referring to my 2 or 3 posts joking about triverse screen-cap and his responses to those (so maybe 10 posts total).

And BTW Albert does indeed edit here and there and you would never know when that happens, he doesn't do it for censorship but when they become personal attacks (or when they may be used to restart a flame war) and I think he's doing a good job of it.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3

A licensed name can't be a "video-game industry pioneer". A pioneer is either a person or possibly a company. Someone who acquired a name a few months ago can't by any stretch of the imagination be considered a pioneer. So just that one opening sentence says that you want people to falsely believe that someone from the original Colecovision team is involved or that the (long gone) company is still around and is getting involved. A horrible start to your resurrection campaign.

... and of course, he knew perfectly well that mainstream "video game journalism" is all about uncritically regurgitating press releases. Despite his claim that "hey, I can't control what the press does!", the wording of his press release was deliberately structured to manipulate the press, and to generate a bunch of lazy "COLECO IS BAAAAACK!!!" clickbait. It was a slimy way to draw attention to himself and the new project, while distancing himself from the old one. Even if all those media outlets follow up with corrections or retractions, it wouldn't make much of a difference at this point. He got the initial impression that he wanted.

I don't think he should be let off the hook with the old "hey, this is just what corporations do!" argument, either. First, that doesn't make it right, and second, it contradicts his carefully cultivated image as a passionately independent gaming enthusiast. What are we to believe: is he David bravely going up against the game industry Goliath, or is he a corporate figurehead who should be excused for lying like the big boys?

• Like 5

Guys, in the pursuit of opportunities to successfully bring this product to market I have tapped deep into my contacts and friends of contacts [with the help of Carl Williams] which are all legitimate contacts in the industry.

I have real legit contacts in this industry and it can be seen from the writing team I put together on my magazine. This is the same model I was going to apply to the console, tapping into friends and colleagues to help make this a cool gaming platform for all to enjoy.

Fixed it for you there Mike. You are welcome.

• Like 1

What are we to believe: is he David bravely going up against the game industry Goliath, or is he a corporate figurehead who should be excused for lying like the big boys?

He needs to be both at least for now.

And he's not lying per se, he's using what he can to garner buzz and so interest ... the "Coleco is back" spin is good in terms of business and that's exactly why he went that way, for that you have to admit he's done good (including walking the fine line of perception that it is the same Coleco, which was the whole point anyway), what they make of this good wind is up for debate, but for now there's nothing inherently fraudster-y about it.

BTW I am just playing devil's advocate here, I care only about the final HW side and I am afraid it'll be underwhelming in so many ways, which does not mean it has no chance to be successful, just that I (as in me personally) will be disappointed. Old style consoles used to have custom VDP/GPUs and audio processors to one-up each other, that time is long gone so now is a sea of sameness (check PS4 and XB-one and you'll see modest spec x86 systems with very little customization [a modestly modded ATI GPU]).

Edited by phoenixdownita

He needs to be both.

Disagree. I see no reason for the level of dishonesty that he has exhibited, and I refuse to accept the idea that he or anyone else has to play dirty to be successful, in life or in business. If he had taken a rational approach and engaged the community openly and honestly, without contradicting himself and stabbing others in the back and all the other things he's done to burn bridges with his potential supporters and customers, things would have unfolded much differently.

• Like 4

What are we to believe: is he David bravely going up against the game industry Goliath, or is he a corporate figurehead who should be excused for lying like the big boys?

Neither. He's a small-time bullshitter. He stops just short of lying, but he puts enough pretentious "press releases" out there to make some people believe what he wants them to hear and to call attention to himself ("COLECO is back!"). He uses hand-waving to avoid direct questions, probably because he hasn't done the work (yet?). He avoids taking responsibility for his mistakes, insisting that this time will be different. He belittles people who disagree with him, and when he can (like on the RVGS Facebook fan page), he makes them disappear.

Also, the dude is his own worst enemy, especially in public, and usually on the record. He thinks too little and Talks. Too. Much.

• Like 9

I guess we should send a team to guys to release you from the people who are forcing you to read this thread. :D

Well i'm actually interested in CC, but the thread is more of being the hunter that kills the last white tiger.....

don't worry, i will drop off, and i wont ring you door bell

I think it is way beyond silly to turn a blind eye and dont rectify the big gaming press when they publish erroneous facts based on a borderline lying press release, and just wallow in the publicity and then assault a journalist that doesnt just hop on the hype-train to Retroland and actually got his fact checking straight.

Try for once to solve the situation instead if making it even worse, please!

I get that noone wants bad press, but there are much better ways to solve a press issue then going loose cannon like this. If anything this made me respect mr. Williams and his journalism even more for digging into this and not just ordering a ticket to the magic world of Retroland like everyone else.

Edited for stupid typos.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 7

You are being out of line.

The fact is the very first sentence of your press release, including the "corrected" one, is a blatant lie. It is deliberately misleading.

ideo-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

As much as I hate to say it, this is exactly why someone buys old brand names- so they can make statements like the one above. If the new owners of "Coleco" get involved with a videogame project, then "Coleco" has re-entered the market. It's fluffy marketing talk, but it is the right of the trademark holder and is not unprecedented.

• Like 2

As much as I hate to say it, this is exactly why someone buys old brand names- so they can make statements like the one above. If the new owners of "Coleco" get involved with a videogame project, then "Coleco" has re-entered the market. It's fluffy marketing talk, but it is the right of the trademark holder and is not unprecedented.

Exactly!!!

Also it is done because it helps "buying" recognition.