IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

These sound like the requirements of an investor or someone within the organization. When was the last time you made a request like this to Sony or Nintendo about a system they were developing? What exactly does Mike owe you and why? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to understand these demands that in my opinion would be out of line if we were talking about a major corporation developing a new system. Timelines? It's not like you are an investor that has something to lose. You act like you are Mikes boss.

Mike was asking forgiveness, patience and to trust him. Cybercylon was was laying out the path to achieve those goals.

He sounded to me like he was demanding updates. That's hardly being patient. I say take as much time as he needs to do it right. When he has a concrete design then it would be appropriate to share. Giving too much info early in the design process will likely set false expectations and lead to further crusifiction by the participants in this thread.

I was trying to give suggestions like PlayWithWolves said. tep, you are correct in that I am not his boss and he owes me nothing. If this goes south, I have lost nothing. That is why I tried to use "recommend" or "suggest", but I can see how what I posted could be read in the other way. As far as updates, he owes us nothing, but chiming in now and then with something solid might engender some trust again from folks. Given what happened the first time around, positive actions can't hurt.

I also trying to give him some benefit of the doubt. At least he was brave enough to come in and say something, but if PR, etc are not his strengths, he needs some help there. If who or what he has isn't doing the job, it would be a good idea to find someone that does.

"Timeline" was probably a little too harsh. I get that time and again at work, but this is a hobby. I don't know Mike, but even outside of work, if I don't set a timeline and find someone that I am accountable too (could be a friend, co-worker, etc), I will tend to dawdle to much.

(grammer edits only... not ninja edits :P )

Edited by cybercylon

These sound like the requirements of an investor or someone within the organization. When was the last time you made a request like this to Sony or Nintendo about a system they were developing? What exactly does Mike owe you and why? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to understand these demands that in my opinion would be out of line if we were talking about a major corporation developing a new system. Timelines? It's not like you are an investor that has something to lose.

This is mindblowing. Seriously.

"It's not like you are an investor that has something to lose."

Are we posting in the same thread?

• Like 2

Playing ColecoVision in one window, watching this bullshit thread in the other.

I thought no one gave a crap about that junk at this Point. Where are we? Atari Age or something? lolz

Oh, right...

I mean, It's just a Name. Who cares. It's not like People were going through the Trouble of paying real Money just to have the rights to use it. Why would they, if it changes nothing? You'd have to be really stupid to pay for a Name, when nobody will be fooled into thinking a product is something it actually isn't.

Not to mention all companies out there use cutthroat Business practices. Nintendo did the whole ilegal prohibiting companies to release games for other consoles. Who cares what These companies do? It's not like the Coleco Chamaleon is claiming to "working hard to live up to the standards set by the "original" COLCEO that many of us grew up with. COLECO Chameleon will take gamers and their families back to a simpler time where games were all about nothing but great gameplay and fun factor."

Yeah. I'm a dick. I have no respect for people's Feelings. Nitpicking unimportant stuff, lying, distorting what other People say just for the fun of seeing everything burn. And after all, who cares? These are just Videogames. LOL. A bunch of adults making Drama about some stupid Videogame? Now that's what I call pathetic.

Just leave mike alone. It's not like he's asking you guys to donate him Money or anything. Just shut up and let the guy do his Business.

On the serious side. How can this still be going downhill? I seriously thought after they shut down the IGG campaign this couldn't possibly get any worse.

• Like 1

On the serious side. How can this still be going downhill? I seriously thought after they shut down the IGG campaign this couldn't possibly get any worse.

Over 30,000 words and nearing 140 hours spent on this saga this year alone by me personally and I have to agree, I thought the IGG failure was it.

• Like 6

Well you see Leods, hopes and dreams go into the Coleco Chameleon and misinformation and deception comes out. Its that simple. Easy, bug free press coverage. Bringing gaming back to a time when games were about nothing but lining their creator's pockets with money. Just forget all about the past and that "RETRO VGS" campaign. Trust Mike and shop at Gamegavel.com. Also make sure to buy RETRO Magazine COLECO Magazine.

• Like 11

Well you see Leods, hopes and dreams go into the Coleco Chameleon and misinformation and deception comes out. Its that simple. Easy, bug free press coverage. Bringing gaming back to a time when games were about nothing but lining their creator's pockets with money. Just forget all about the past and that "RETRO VGS" campaign. Trust Mike and shop at Gamegavel.com. Also make sure to buy RETRO Magazine COLECO Magazine.

I do wonder how long before the negative press for the RVGS forces them to change the name of the magazine too. It seems they are doing their best to distance themselves from the word "retro".

• Like 1

What's wrong with my post? Was I impolite? Was I unreasonable? I got completely ignored. Maybe Mike put me on ignore?

"1GBit NOR flash (20 year data retention) approx $6.30 in qty 1000."

20 years? Even Super Nintendo games would be gone by now....

We need a rule. Mike must respond to all questions in this thread and in under an hour. Seems completely reasonable to me.

I don't get all the complaining on the new venture. I personally like that they licensed the Coleco name. They paid for it, why shouldn't they use it?

I can't stand digital downloads. I for one hope this succeeds, if Mike actually sticks to his original ideas this time. I want a system with no internet capabilities, solid cartridges that last over 30 years, and graphics up to 16 bit.

I like everything about it except for that controller and the fact it is usb instead of 9 pin. If the price is reasonable and good games are available, this idea is a winner.

Holy cow, $5 for the Zero? I paid $40 for my RPi2. What does it run on, Unicorn farts? :o

Puts things in perspective doesn't it? It's a single core running at 1Ghtz. Still more powerful than the first raspi...

Sold out everywhere as far as I know though...

• Like 1

Lol, what a non-issue this latest "development" is. He licensed the Coleco name. Great. Probably a smart idea. Does anyone actually think that this has anything to do with the company that made the Colecovision? How is he being misleading? Probably 99% of the people who actually worked on the Colecovision are retired now. Anyone who reads anything more into this venture than the superficial licensing deal that it is needs to get their head checked.

Does anyone actually think that this has anything to do with the company that made the Colecovision?

Yeah, one of the folks at work believed that before I set him straight. A fairly bright guy, usually, but he hadn't been following old games until the headline popped up on ars technica. (obviously he didn't actually read the article)

Personally, if coleco is okay with their name being attached to this, I'm fine dragging it through the mud as if they're the ones populating the cardboard "circuit boards" and selecting unrelated rgb converter props for their videos. These zombie brands have pretty much devalued out already, but if ever there was something that could finally put one down, this is probably it.

If the controller and shell made retro vgs halfway done--putting a coleco badge on it is worth at least another 25%, amiright?

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Lol, what a non-issue this latest "development" is. He licensed the Coleco name. Great. Probably a smart idea. Does anyone actually think that this has anything to do with the company that made the Colecovision? How is he being misleading? Probably 99% of the people who actually worked on the Colecovision are retired now. Anyone who reads anything more into this venture than the superficial licensing deal that it is needs to get their head checked.

I think people in the forum understand the difference. Sure.. we all know the original company went chapter 11 ages ago. The average reader to some of the news sites won't. So I think people are just asking him to spell it out directly that they are using the licensed trademark name from a holding company to use it brand their product, and that this isn't some re-entry by Coleco. A re-entry now by what was Coleco back in the day would involved worm holes and wibbily wobbly timey wimey stuff.....