IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

It needs a planned VR Headset, CD Drive...Quake to be 20-30% Complete, a new MK game to debut on it, Carmack to say he loves the hardware..someone to 'speak' to Jeff Minter to find out he too loves the hardware and is, no really he is..doing Ultra Star Raiders on it and Jez San to come out and say he might be doing a version of Creature shock on it, but details are hazy...before i'll even consider taking it seriousily...

Ohh and it's got to be on par with the Saturn and more powerful than PS1, otherwise it's just not the mustard, is it?

:-)

Bonus points for:The paint flaking off, it making an odd 'hissing' sound when it's running, someone who once visited Telegames by accident to buy all its unfinished games once it bombs, then it'll of been a contender.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing some important links but I do not really understand this. I think that to get real support it might help to setup a site or something that clarifies what this is.

I can't even get if it's a new console with the specs of an older system, or a new console with specs more in line with modern systems that is supposed to be committed to the development of games that look old.

I thought the Wiiware service did a pretty good job with some exclusive new entries into retro franchises, like the Frogger Returns, Contra Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth, Space Invaders Get Even, Alien Crush Returns, and Star Soldier R. Plus the Wii VC was a concept with potential. But between an abrupt abandonment of support that left you without some of your favorite games on select platforms, and a rash of delisted games it turned into a pretty big disappointment. I'd like to see something like that succeed the way it was supposed to, but I think nintendo already found it not to be viable, and if any other company than nintendo does it, you're missing a significant section of the catalog of retro games that people want most.

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/02/18/new-hardware-retro-video-game-system-in-development/

While not Jag devs, they list a couple indie devs towards the bottom and it mentions Konami may be involved in some game development which is odd.

OK, looks like I completely misunderstood, this isn't a reengineered Jaguar, it's something new in the old case. Why I imagined a 2015 version of the Jaguar chipset I don't know... senior moment. If it means new cases can be sold at a decent price and the cart shells as well, that's some good news at least. Some new colourful cart cases, I think we could go for a large number of those at the right price. Or just stick with the existing ones if the price is no better.

The Konami 'support' etc....

I'm honestly trying NOT to be cynical, but as a 360 owner when MS had that Game Room feature on 360, you know running your own Retro Arcade, potential was vast for likes of Konami, Capcom etc to put there coin-op's from yesteryear on there i'd have spent stacks of MS points.Instead we seemed to see another prime opp.wasted....

Does anyone else think this has dumb idea written all over it? I could see making a re-issue of a well-known system, something like a Sega Flashback or a Retrobit NES clone, but to come up with an all-new system when there are some existing systems crying out for more games and support..?

If it were me, I'd pick a common, well-known system, say Colecovision or Commodore 64, and make a clone of that, then approach developers to port over old titles or create new ones. To try and create a whole new stream of console that is essentially a retro system, yet not really retro... I dunno.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think this has dumb idea written all over it? I could see making a re-issue of a well-known system, something like a Sega Flashback or a Retrobit NES clone, but to come up with an all-new system when there are some existing systems crying out for more games and support..?

If it were me, I'd pick a common, well-known system, say Colecovision or Commodore 64, and make a clone of that, then approach developers to port over old titles or create new ones. To try and create a whole new stream of console that is essentially a retro system, yet not really retro... I dunno.

Hard to tell really, no idea what's going to be inside the box. It's seemingly not going to be very Jaguar-related though, so I'm personally not that interested. The cart shells and console cases though, if it helps them put these out for a fair price, will not complain... once your tooling is set up, the actual production is tiny per unit, so anything that helps scale that won't be a bad thing.

I did not know that project but i already heard about that one: Unity

link: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/project-unity-stuffs-20-classic-consoles-into-one/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGLdM0NA6A#t=23

Although the joypad reminds the Jaguar one, this console is not emulating the Atari 64 bits.

Their facebook page is making me sad. People are only posting one of two questions, which have obvious answers, meanwhile they still release zero information on the thing. Taking bets this thing becomes vaporware.

The Phantom of it's era?.

No and no. This project actually involves a bunch of ex-industry game developers like Steve Woita making new games specifically for the console.

Likewise, it's just using the old case molds (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235610-new-console-using-jaguar-mold/). Its relationship with the Jaguar ends there. It's not a Jaguar 2, nor is it meant to be a Phantom or generic Linux box running emulators, etc. It's new hardware intended to run new "retro style" games coded by many of the same people who did the originals. Curt and I were asked to be involved sometime last year and we just didn't have the time (and still don't), but the people involved are legit people.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235610-new-console-using-jaguar-mold/

( :-) Crosses Phantom off mental list )...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/vm-labs-nuon-in-2000/1100-2446489/

Reading through this article is exactly why i remain cynical, AT THIS STAGE....

Ex-Industry names involved from the start etc, but it's this that struck me most:

' One reason the NUON sounded so enticing when it was first announced was because the platform had a strong lineup of third-party developers on board to create software for it. Such heavy hitters as Capcom, Crave, Activision, Psygnosis, Fox Interactive, and THQ were all on the roster - confirming that the NUON could very well provide the goods in the software arena'

' Capcom had no comment. It appears that every big-name publisher has decided to pass on developing products for the NUON'

And this is (personally) what i feel they need to be very wary of..unless you've confirmed, exclusive titles in the works from likes of Konami, Namco etc, it might be best not to say too much or your building yourself up for a fall in the long run.

I don't wish to sound cynical, but as i stated earlier on, speaking as a consumer, i soon learnt not to put much faith in 'annoucements of software support'.Being an ex-Atari 800XL/Lynx And Jaguar owner will do that for you, promises in magazines/adverts can amount to nothing...

3DO M2 was going to do big things, skipping forward to rrelaunched PSP, in terms of the Go model, Capcom were said to be doing exclusive Resident evil said the sony spokesperson..now with PS4 we were promised a Shadow Of The Beast Reboot, teaser trailer shown and....and where's the new Forbidden Siren Game or PS Vita Bioshock or....?.

I know you need the media on your side and have to build hype for your products, but it's a tricky path to walk given the fickle nature of the industry it seems....

Consumers like myself have long memories when it comes to promised support.

No and no. This project actually involves a bunch of ex-industry game developers like Steve Woita making new games specifically for the console.

Likewise, it's just using the old case molds (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235610-new-console-using-jaguar-mold/). Its relationship with the Jaguar ends there. It's not a Jaguar 2, nor is it meant to be a Phantom or generic Linux box running emulators, etc. It's new hardware intended to run new "retro style" games coded by many of the same people who did the originals. Curt and I were asked to be involved sometime last year and we just didn't have the time (and still don't), but the people involved are legit people.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235610-new-console-using-jaguar-mold/

I did my due diligence before I posted anything here, as I'd expect anyone to. That was why the first part of my comment mentioned people asking questions with obvious answers. I'm just saying that, if they want this thing to sell, they need to release more information. "It takes cartridges" is a good start, but how is hardware development going? What kind of video out options are we getting? Is it actually using that god-awful controller? Etc, etc. Just given how poorly they're handling info at this point makes me wonder if it will sell. I'd really like it to, mind you.

• Like 1

I won't be a naysayer. If and when it shows up for real, I'll make a purchase decision based on price/features/games. However, I can honestly say I'm not eager for such a device. I already have tons of homebrews to buy for the existing classic systems, and I suffer from a bit of "hope fatigue" waiting for my XM and games. With all the BASICS showing up for our old consoles, I would like to eventually dabble with those, not to mention I still want to try assembly on the beloved Aquarius.

My feelings may change when the console and games are real.

• Like 3

I did my due diligence before I posted anything here, as I'd expect anyone to. That was why the first part of my comment mentioned people asking questions with obvious answers. I'm just saying that, if they want this thing to sell, they need to release more information. "It takes cartridges" is a good start, but how is hardware development going? What kind of video out options are we getting? Is it actually using that god-awful controller? Etc, etc. Just given how poorly they're handling info at this point makes me wonder if it will sell. I'd really like it to, mind you.

I hope it does use that 'god awful controller' because it's awesome. All it needs is a 3d stick stuck on it somewhere. And it will be a god-awful paradise.

• Like 1

I guess they are withholding more information until they launch the kickstarter. I am wondering how this is going to be distributed after the initial kickstarter. That is if the kickstarter even gets to its goal as there seems to be little enthusiasm for this console. Will it be available in stores, online only though their own website, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

A new cartridge console? That's great! And so far they have the design connection to retro, that is a start! I'm definitely "dumb enough" to buy this, maybe not support a kickstarter but ride along later.

Makes me wonder where money to development of inside technology would come from, who are the investors, since it ought to cost a lot of money!

And when it comes to 128-bit or whatever, I also wonder how much memory the cartridges of today could hold? How large can the games be?

Edited by Atlantis