IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

I don't know about Inky, but I've been curious as to how this episode would go over. It's a bit on the unusual side. Still the same format - preamble, Addena and Errata, one game, another game, theme reveal, thanks to the sponsors, announcing the next episode's games, closing credits, and (if applicable) bloopers/outtakes. But the content itself is a bit unusual.

Out of the blue I already got some insightful feedback but I'd like as much as possible.

• Like 2

I don't know about Inky, but I've been curious as to how this episode would go over. It's a bit on the unusual side. Still the same format - preamble, Addena and Errata, one game, another game, theme reveal, thanks to the sponsors, announcing the next episode's games, closing credits, and (if applicable) bloopers/outtakes. But the content itself is a bit unusual.

Out of the blue I already got some insightful feedback but I'd like as much as possible.

Actually, I think it's one of our better episodes.

Of course that's not saying much.

Question: What did Sean get wrong *this time*? Answer: it’s probably somewhere in this episode. So is a missing sequined glove (probably). Anyway, just listen to episode 70. Because that’s what it certainly is: an episode.http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode070.mp3

Sean was wrong when he said having a dog is a handful when the subject of having kids came up.

I enjoyed the episode. I wanted to do a news episode about the recent developments in Atari land (I am assuming here that is the unusual content you are referring to), but I just don't have the heart to do it. I think you guys were fair all around and I appreciate that.

I wish I would have seen the Trivial Pursuit games, I don't remember ever seeing them anywhere. I played a shit ton of Trivia Whiz, where sometimes I got the same questions in the same game. I never knew about the misprints either, that's really interesting. I'm surprised you didn't mention that Coleco owned Scrabble for a short time. :)

Technically, you are right that Columbo's first name was never revealed on the show. But nowadays, we have freeze frame and all that crap, so we can see on his license that his first name is Frank. :)

https://www.metv.com/lists/16-fascinating-facts-about-peter-falk-and-columbo (no. 11)

• 3 weeks later...

Jim and Sean were getting lazy and restless with episode 71, so they did what anybody else would do: invite two guests to join them and do all the dirty work. Enjoy this special foursome as they present their intercourse on Contra and Ikari Warriors.

http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode071.mp3

I'm born & raised in Roseville MN & have been to that Country Club on Lexington. In fact when Tim said a "St Paul grocery store", I immediately thought of that Country Club for some reason.

Ask Tim if he ever went to the Rainbow store nearby, they had Mario Bros & Popeye there.

& Roseville was upper middle-class, if that. That part of Roseville def. wasnt snooty. Its demographic has "changed" in the last few decades, we'll leave it at that.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it's come to this...Sean and Jim have released twelve episodes six times. SIX TIMES. Can they do it a seventh time? Stick around for episode 84 and find out! In the mean time, here's episode 72, examining works by Konami and Bally Midway.

http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode072.mp3

• Like 2

I completely agreed with you both on this on Tutankham. It looks so fun of the surface, but once you actually play it, you realize how needlessly frustrating it often is.

And Wizard of Wor is one of the finest damn video games to grace God's green earth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's Monday! And when a new episode of Pie Factory Podcast comes out on a Monday, it means Monday's FUNday, Charlie Brown! In their last episode before Midwest Gaming Classic, Jim and Sean discuss, well...two arcade games and reveal a common theme. Duh. If you're in Milwaukee, come to MGC and see us in the vendor hall. (Or at least visit the statue of The Fonz.)

http://www.fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode073.mp3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 74 - Midwest Gaming Classic 2018 - is available now!

That rough, ragged trip down I-94 brings forth some thoughts and interviews from one of the biggest gaming conventions in the country. If this doesn't get you excited for what will be happening again in about 51 weeks, then...we dunno, maybe something else will??

(Please note: the interviews conducted in this episode are edited for time and content; full-length versions will be available for download/streaming, but as of right now, they're not. Keep watching the skis! Uhh.....skies.)

http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode074.mp3

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here we are with another instalment of Pie Factory Podcast, an arcade game podcast that most certainly exists. What do you get when you combine Atari and NAMCO? Well, maybe Pac-Mania, but in this case, you get cops and a superhero. This episode will certainly be just that: a episode!

http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode075.mp3

• Like 1

Just last weekend, I was able to play a real APB at an arcade party(a podcaster's house!) . That game is as difficult as I remembered it. Wish I knew about level select back then.

I got up to the day(4?) where you have to ticket the litterbug taxicabs. I got so many cabs, but then they just stopped showing up on the road. As per the episode explains, I saw way more cabs going the opposite direction. Tried to turn around and drive downwards(facing bottom of the cab), but still couldn't get enough taxis in time/fuel to pass the day.

It is a bleepin' hard game. There's the whole micromanagement aspect of not slamming into cars w/ siren off, the need to turn off the siren to "Catch them in the act" and all sorts of bonus opportunities whizzing by, like the broke down car+woman who needs help.

It takes a bit used to with the "pull over" icon in front of you to line it up against the criminal car.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 36 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi - is now available!

I think this is the longest title we’ve had for an episode so far. Is it? Hmm….I don’t know. I’ll have to check. Wait…why am I typing this? Anyway…here’s a show about a couple of George Lucas film games. Yeah.

http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode076.mp3

• Like 1

Just last weekend, I was able to play a real APB at an arcade party(a podcaster's house!) . That game is as difficult as I remembered it. Wish I knew about level select back then.

I got up to the day(4?) where you have to ticket the litterbug taxicabs. I got so many cabs, but then they just stopped showing up on the road. As per the episode explains, I saw way more cabs going the opposite direction. Tried to turn around and drive downwards(facing bottom of the cab), but still couldn't get enough taxis in time/fuel to pass the day.

It is a bleepin' hard game. There's the whole micromanagement aspect of not slamming into cars w/ siren off, the need to turn off the siren to "Catch them in the act" and all sorts of bonus opportunities whizzing by, like the broke down car+woman who needs help.

It takes a bit used to with the "pull over" icon in front of you to line it up against the criminal car.

APB does sort of have a steep learning curve but once you learn the layout of the area... you get used to what routes to take and what not.

I own a APB as well since '96; I can offer some tips.

- always upgrade a part for your police cruiser at the speed shop (think you can do it daily). Almost a must when you face speeders and murderers.

- days where you have to pick up multiple hitchers and helps - use different toll roads (be mindful of the numbered toll sign). Meaning, you don't stick to the same toll road you're on.

- when one Apb criminal gets ahead of you, let off the gas, they'll wrap around again.

- once you get your quota, I usually explore the area for moneybags

- when you encounter murderers, I usually use my gun more than ramming them off the road - it's faster.

- pay attention to the info on location of the APB and the toll number. I think it's Cool Hand Luke that's on a different toll road than the one you're started on.

- there is the scoring train glitch (which you mentioned) not sure if that's pertinent to certain rom revisions.

Some other info...

That TG record is definitely achievable. I think I might've even surpassed it a couple of times. It helps I've been playing this game since it was new;)

Day 26 is one of the most difficult stages in the game. Multiple murderers and drunks to bust w/ helps and hitchers

One of the best things I found out is when my Operator friend had this game at his arcade. He let us record the audio soundtrack via tape. We went through the diagnostic menus and discovered more APB

criminal that were not in the game. There were five more, in fact. I know there was another female Apb. But the 20 Apb was the chief. I kid you not... there is a APB mugshot of the chief!

This begs the question... did this game originally have an end??? We know after the 15th Apb Billy Bob, the game/days just repeat themselves ad infinitum. I wonder if they were behind schedule and scratched the other criminals??

I made a point to try to contact one of the developers on this... just never got around to it.

This is not me, this guy is good though

Episode 36 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi - is now available!

I think this is the longest title we’ve had for an episode so far. Is it? Hmm….I don’t know. I’ll have to check. Wait…why am I typing this? Anyway…here’s a show about a couple of George Lucas film games. Yeah.

http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode076.mp3

This is the episode I've been waiting for: one of my all-time favorite games (well, next to Front Line), and a game I believe is very underrated.

Temple of Doom I consider myself very knowledgeable at, teetering to expert level. It was my very first arcade I purchased in '89. I was and still am a huge Indiana Jones fan. And what way to celebrate with the Last Crusade coming to theaters that year? Get myself a major Indy collectable! Funny to think about it, I hardly ever gave this a chance at Aladdin's Castle back then - thought it was too hard. :-D

I'll try to remember what you guys covered so i don't sound redundant and offer anything new.

There are a couple of other bonuses out there (don't think it was mentioned).

* completion bonus - If you whip everything on the stage select screen it gives you this bonus.

*Pyro bonus - on the first "kid slave stage" on medium difficult, there are several gas cans to whip for this bonus.

*Secret bonus - I still haven't ascertained on how to achieve this yet (I'll provide a video that shows I collected it several times.)

Some tips...

It's imperative on the mine cart stage to whip EVERY Thuggee guard for maximum points. If you miss the score counters starts over again. This is contingent on what difficulty level you're on.

You can still whip Thuggee guards for points even if they say fell in lava. Kinda scoring glitch.

You mentioned whipping Willie at the end of the rope bridge I believe. There is also a trick out there on the rope bridge to disable Mola Ram from throwing hearts at you. It was provided by a Youtuber, can't recall how to trigger the action.

You can fall on enemies to stun them, have to make sure you're not too high or you will die.

Some other useless things...

On the Temple of Doom stage (easy difficulty) you will noticed a wooded platform for a bridge to the altar that burns up after time. That is not in the final cut of the move, but is in a deleted scene. It was means to an escape for the slave children after Indy starts to kick some Thuggee ass.

There are two more enemy characters that weren't mentioned. There is a tan and white Thuggee guard (I call him a palace guard) and a full white Thuggee guard on the "Fortune and Glory" stage. Just for looks and don't provide more points.

I guess at one time there was a possibility of this becoming a laserdisc game (much like the Road Runner disc game) which was scrapped. Got this tidbit from a interview with the developer.

I have *unofficially* have all the WR on this game with TG settings. I did submit one run on hard difficulty and didn't hear back. I chatted with Doc at GG and breaking the record there. At the time, he didn't have a Atari logo joystick on his machine. I'm picky, it's a must to have a good joystick on this game for precise movements. And on the mine cart stage - you need it! Wonder if it's been changed since??? I never knew Underground Retrocade had it too? I can get it there too! :)

This is a raw Youtube video I did on hard difficulty on my machine. Think the score was around 2.3 million on this one. I'll preface this again, it's raw and could contain some minor harsh language.