IGNORED

And The Winner Is...

@ CMart

Probably not ....isn't it part of the rules/contest?

Well that's how I took it.

At least they didn't have to click thru pages of the pics like we did just to get into judging this.

I'm numb to anything now. Nothing will shock or surprise me.

Edited by nonner242
  • Like 1

@ CMart

Probably not ....isn't it part of the rules/contest?

Well that's how I took it.

At least they didn't have to click thru pages of the pics like we did just to get into judging this.

I'm numb to anything now. Nothing will shock or surprise me.

Lol! Please tell me the rumours aren't true about him commissioning you to pixelate his junk into all of his upcoming games?

Congrats to emerson and tuatara21. Thanks to the judges, nanochess' IntyBasic, and thanks dZ for the great feedback.

I can't promise when I'll be able to program a new game (that was my plan back then), but I'm still interested to see what else I can do on the Intellivision. Feel free to comment about Space versus, I'll try to implement ideas, fixes, and maybe also try to convince me if everything moves way too fast.

• Like 3

As soon as I get home from the office I will update the first post with the entries, scores, comments, screenshots, and everything else.

It's coming, I promise! I just wanted to make a quick post last night before going to bed to announce the winners and start the congratulatory celebrations. :)

DZ-JAY: Don't bother me dear, I'm going to spend the whole evening entering a humongous document onto Atariage with all the info about the IntyBasic programming contest....

Mrs. DZ-JAY: What? Not another contest!!! No way! I've got a whole list of things for you to do this evening, and entering a humongous document is not on the list....

Thanks for all the hard work on this project. Looking forward to reading the full report.

Catsfolly

• Like 2

DZ-JAY: Don't bother me dear, I'm going to spend the whole evening entering a humongous document onto Atariage with all the info about the IntyBasic programming contest....

Mrs. DZ-JAY: What? Not another contest!!! No way! I've got a whole list of things for you to do this evening, and entering a humongous document is not on the list....

Thanks for all the hard work on this project. Looking forward to reading the full report.

Catsfolly

If you only knew! :lol:

I've updated the first post to include the detailed feedback of the judges, the breakdown of the scores, and screenshots. I will update the post a bit later to include scoring and ranking graphs and the ROMs of the games.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

I've updated the first post to include the detailed feedback of the judges, the breakdown of the scores, and screenshots. I will update the post a bit later to include scoring and ranking graphs and the ROMs of the games.

Thanks DZ! Thats one hell of a mega post! Perhaps a small table at the start with the rankings (1st to 13th, with scores) would be good too.

If an entrant published their source code publicly before the contest they received 5 points from each judge. Encouraging people to share code, so that others can pick through it and see how things were done, is important in a language like IntyBASIC because it lowers the barrier to entry.

• Like 1

Not that I really want to complain, but I did post the source code to Slalom! at the same time I supplied it to the competition, hidden inside SPOILER tags to not get a very lengthy post. Since I wrote it on New Year's Eve, there was no chance to publish it before then. I don't remember if the rules said the source code must be available X days before the competition closed to count, but anyway...

Thanks DZ! Thats one hell of a mega post! Perhaps a small table at the start with the rankings (1st to 13th, with scores) would be good too.

It's at the bottom. I can put it at the top if you think it'll be better...

Not that I really want to complain, but I did post the source code to Slalom! at the same time I supplied it to the competition, hidden inside SPOILER tags to not get a very lengthy post. Since I wrote it on New Year's Eve, there was no chance to publish it before then. I don't remember if the rules said the source code must be available X days before the competition closed to count, but anyway...

Whoops! Our mistake, sorry about that. We'll correct it shortly.

• Like 1

Wow, the top three placeholders ended up less than 40 points from each other, that's impressive! Great job guys! It would have been a dead tie between mmarrero and myself if I hadn't posted my source code. Now that's a close competition!

And Goatnom... That sure came out of left the farmer's field... The artwork is beautiful. Is there a rom available for the public? Please?

The recommendations will definitely help polish Whale Hunt, so thank you judges for taking the time to provide your thoughts. According to the pictures that were posted, it seems I accidentally left some debugging info in my code. The second row of numbers at the top of the screen should not be there. I also realized maybe two weeks ago that I left the wind flute equipped... Whoops!

Oh dear, you've started a panic in the judges panel!!! :o

I've updated the final scores, and Slalom! has moved from 11th to 9th position, congratulations! (I am very sorry for the mistake.)

I just meant a simple synopsis table with ranking and scores not a full breakdown.

Done.

I've updated the top post with the following changes:

• Corrected score for Slalom! game
  • Added all entries at the top with their final scores
  • Added an attachment of the final score card with graphics and score breakdown.

I'll add the ROMs later today.

• Like 2

Don't mean to complain either, but I did submit the Source to mine too. :)

I've just double checked the *.zip you posted here :-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247335-entry-2015-bowl-bust/

And there is no source code in that. To get the source code points you have to publish the code publicly. Submitting code with your game was mandatory (as per the rules).

I've just double checked the *.zip you posted here :-

And there is no source code in that. To get the source code points you have to publish the code publicly. Submitting code with your game was mandatory (as per the rules).

Just to be clear, the judges and contest organizers put a lot of weight onto releasing the source code of entries publicly. The point is to reward those who enrich the community with their expertise and experience.

Nobody is required to do so, but sharing the source with the entire community serves to help and encourage others, and results in a greater pool of collective knowledge.

dZ.

• Like 1

Ah, Ok. Thanks for clearing this up. Didn't realize you meant "publically". And yes, I agree with the point about sharing expertise and knowledge. I didn't release the source yet because I wanted to put more "expertise" into it first as the game evolves.

But, not that I'm whining about it, and I'm cool either way, but would it count if I upload that exact Source now on the game thread?

Edited by PuzZLeR

Ah, Ok. Thanks for clearing this up. Didn't realize you meant "publically". And yes, I agree with the point about sharing expertise and knowledge. I didn't release the source yet because I wanted to put more "expertise" into it first as the game evolves.

The rules of the contest stated (emphasis mine) :-

"Source code (5) - These points are awarded to any coder that publishes his/her game's source code publicly". If the contest is run again we'll try and be much clearer on what entrants can do in order to make the best of their entry.

But, not that I'm whining about it, and I'm cool either way, but would it count if I upload that exact Source now on the game thread?

Its up to you, but it won't make a difference to your score.

No trouble at all. Just asking. :)

Nevertheless, thank you to the Judges for reviewing my game. This was the important thing to me. Not the score.

Also, to the Community, keep in mind, I wanted to keep expectations low as I’ve mentioned that I only had time to submit a WIP for the Contest.

The game is coming along nicely, and am still working on it. Please follow the game’s progress here:

Already some of the recommendations were implemented (ball animation, left/right hook, background, glitchiness corrected), and more improvements on those, and more on the way, SOON.

I hope the “bowl” in the title is more convincing now. However, watch out – these targets will fight back in a coming update or two! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And for those recommendations that I didn’t think of – thanks for this too. Awesome ideas! Coming from you folks, I am certain it’s what the Gamer wants, which is what my intention is.

Please stay tuned folks! I promise to do my utmost, and am fully committed, to deliver to the Community a game that will be fun, exciting, action-packed, and won't be satisfied until you love it in the end! ;-)

An update on prizes

I've had it confirmed that RetroGamer magazine will be doing a feature on the contest in an upcoming Homebrew section article. I'll be sending a paper copy of that magazine edition to every entrant because I know the magazine is hard to get in some parts of the world. As soon as I know exactly when its happening I'll pass the info on.

All entrants will receive a certificate (some of them two) for their ranking place in the contest.

All entrants below 3rd will receive an Intellivision pencil as a token "wooden spoon".

I forgot to add: For 4th prize, nanochess will be donating 2 Intellivision games.

Edited by GroovyBee
  • Like 3