IGNORED

Austin Gaming Expo Announced

Albert

I'm looking forward to this. I think we're gonna go to this one as it looks like I'm not able to get to CGE ( it's one or the other).

So where is the best steakhous areound the convention? Is the Texan still around with the 'ole 88 ouncer and the picture of the 75 year old woman who ate it in an hour on the wall??

They are not so much Limited releases, but better termed as Introduction releases...

The organizers are all of the feeling that is not fair that people should be forced to attend a show in order to get a new game title. Instead, you should consider the games released at the show an opportunity for the attendee's to get the games first and usually at a reduced show price (since everyone is travelling from all over the country, some even coming down from Canada and others from overseas... why not cut them a break on the price a bit.) Some releases, by the authors request may be limited in their numbered release, but more times then most the releases would not be some kind of highly limited release and will be immediately available to everyone right after the show at their regular prices, this also helps to eliminate titles being only available to non-attendees through EBay prices...

We want people to come to the show for the sake of having fun and meeting their friends in person, playing some head to head games in friendly competitions, maybe win some prizes, pick up some items, do some bartering and trades and just have fun.... not by hanging some kind of "the only way you'll ever get this.... EXCLUSIVE" out like a carrot in order to draw in people. Come to the show because you want to, not because you have to.

Curt

From an old Austinite, a couple of things. First, unfortunately, the bats don't start appearing under the Congress Avenue brdige until the late summer, early fall, but it is a sight to see, I'll say. Also, those looking to get steaks, in downtown Austin there's a place called the Hoffbrau that is supposed to have the most marvelous steaks. I haven't been there myself, but it comes recommended by some folks who know what they're talking about. Also, those of you coming to Austin for the first time, we have some of the best restaurants anywhere, and some excellent food. My recommendations:

for Tex-Mex (and you have to eat good Tex-mex if you're here...it's a sin not to.): Chuy's on Barton Springs Rd. great atmosphere, too. Manuel's is good for a little classier Mexican, and Curra's is great for authentic Mexican. Fonda San Miguel is some of the best food anywhere, but it leans toward the more expensive side.

for Burgers: Hut's Hamburger's or BurgerTex. Neither is very expensive, and both are spectacular.

For Mediterranean: Marakech Cafe on Congress Ave. inexpensive and excellent.

I don't know if any of y'all care for this info, but these are some of my favorite places in the world to eat. If you get a chance to go to any of them, most of them are south of the expo. That should hold y'all over while you're in town. anyone else care to recommend some fining dining establishments also?

I'll recommend The Oasis, a nice restaurant sitting out by the lake. You'll have the most spectacular view of sunsets from it's multi-tiered balconies. I'll also recommend Romeo's, an excellent Italian restaurant near downtown.

I don't know if any of y'all care for this info, but these are some of my favorite places in the world to eat.

This is good information to have. I'm still embarrassed over the restaurant I "found" after Cinciclassic 2002. Does anyone know if there are any good places for Mexican Karaoke in Austin? I've been practicing hard. :D

Summer is the busy time for me at work, but I am going to do my best to make it to this event. :)

This is good information to have. I'm still embarrassed over the restaurant I "found" after Cinciclassic 2002. Does anyone know if there are any good places for Mexican Karaoke in Austin? I've been practicing hard

Oh dear God! I'd blotted that whole night out of my mind. :D

Tempest

Curra's is great for authentic Mexican.

Oh man, Curra's is mine and about everyone I know's favorite place to eat in Austin. And there's one up north now closer to where the Expo will be. There is a lot of good eating in Austin.

A couple of my other favorite attractions are I Love Video (two locations) which have a really cool selection of cult classics and hard to find videos. The one on Guadalupe has a really great Dr. Who collection. And Toy Joy (which is across the street from the Guadalupe location) where they specialize in imported and unusual toys along with the classics.

-Paul

How goes the thai food around austin? Im ALL about the thai food.

Oooh there is a good restaurant off of Congress and 7th I believe, and it's called Thai Passion. Damn good pad thai, great ambience, sometimes they have jazz bands come in and play. There are other Thai restaurants that are really good, too, like Madam Mam's (off of Guadalupe aka "the Drag") and Satay (off of Anderson Lane and Mopac).

If you come, liquid_sky, we'll all go out for some damn good Thai. :) Please try to come to the show!

Hey gang,

Actually, I have one point of contention here. It's a pet peeve of vocabulary/definition as Al and others can vouch (as I've ranted at length on this in the past). Ahem:

THERE IS AND HAS NEVER BEEN ANY SUCH THING AS A (so-and-so-meeting/expo) EXCLUSIVE.

You see, every game that has ever been released at any other meeting has never really truly been an "exclusive" at that meet anyway. Games released initially at CGE or Philly or Cinci or wherever has inevitably ended up easily purchased via some on-line store or through the creator himself or even through AtariAge itself - after the initial run/release has run its course. So, you see, though I'm glad you've got some Introductory Releases coming at AGE (And I think that's a good name for these type of games), to say that you're steering clear of "Exclusive" games is somewhat untrue. Try to name any game initially released at any game con that wasn't purchasable by non-attendees afterwards. Except for the Ebivision stuff and maybe Ms. Space Fury (for Colecovision anyway), I really can't think of any.

The only folks who have called these "Exclusive" are the folks who couldn't attend. And then the games were available eventually anyway.

Plus, anyone who bids on a game on eBay that was bought by the buyer at an expo/meet deserves to be gouged simply for their impatience. I giggled myself silly when I saw stuff from the CGE last year (including AA stuff) pop up on eBay just before everyone announced where they could be purchased later.

Anyway, carry on. The whole concept of the "Exclusive Game" irritates me to no end simply because it's been proven time and time again to be an untrue statement. From here on out, any con/expo/meeting release should be called Introductory Releases or Newly Unveiled or something.

OK, just call me Captain Aesthetics. Rant off. (THough I"m certain I'll be ranting like this again as AGE comes closer as well as in August when folks begin asking about -sigh - "CGE Exclusives.")

Hell, I work for a drug company. I got a lifetime supply of those (as well as Altoids).

We're staying at the Marriot. Anyone else? Either Friday or Saturday is fine by me. Friday would be good in case Saturday evening turns into a "let's go back and see what we got" fest.

So....

Who's bringing the "Tums" to pass out to everyone after we sample all of this fine food (burp!)

Whoever brings it better bring a lot, especially if anyone eats some of the great (and spicy!) Mexican food here. :D

I just grabbed a couple of bottles from the company store.

I'm kinda hoping for a good steak while I'm there.  Nothing beats a steak.

Oh, one place I almost forgot about....Texas Land & Cattle Company. They have pretty awesome steaks. Definitely worth checking out while you're here!

Sheeezzz.....  maybe we should sign-up a Beef company to be a sponsor or a vendor at the show, have a Game Console and Steak Dinner at every Vendor Table :-)

Speaking of which, the Location page on the AGE site has been updated with a list of hotels and restaurants nearby. No Texas Land and Cattle immediately nearby, though. :)

..Al

Archived