IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

5 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

The board I have looks like this:

image.thumb.png.3b2320cc2f9db87689b5061a52489f2b.png

I have almost the same in my working device. The switch is between the 2 boards or not? I want to know if it is possible to add the leds on this combination. 

Edited by tajvdz

2 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

I am not familiar with the other board that Gavin was using, so I can't comment. 

I'm not talking about the board from Gavin but this V4. That is the one I have now. The switch is in it but I want to know if it is possible to add the leds to either the sio board or maybe directly to the arduino

11 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

I'm not talking about the board from Gavin but this V4. That is the one I have now. The switch is in it but I want to know if it is possible to add the leds to either the sio board or maybe directly to the arduino

The uno2sio does support a switch for sio power or USB power.

Gavin never shared the Gerber's or even the schematic for his revision of the board so I don't know what he did exactly.

From the looks of it he just added a resistor and a trace to the power line for the power led and got the act led from a couple of points where the pcb solders to the uno. 

If you follow the traces from the led pickup points to the other end you can see where to tack a wire to pick up the same levels. you will need to measure the resistance on that 3rd resistor to see what value it is and use a similar value if you want the led to be the same brightness.

12 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Gavin never shared the Gerber's or even the schematic for his revision of the board so I don't know what he did exactly.

From the looks of it he just added a resistor and a trace to the power line for the power led and got the act led from a couple of points where the pcb solders to the uno. 

If you follow the traces from the led pickup points to the other end you can see where to tack a wire to pick up the same levels. you will need to measure the resistance on that 3rd resistor to see what value it is and use a similar value if you want the led to be the same brightness.

Well if I compare both boards I see that Gavin used a 2nd row of pinheaders to connect it to the arduino. On the board itself are 3 resistors and a chip. Besides that he added connectors for the 2 leds, switch and sio cables so you don't have to solder. The connectors I don't care but it would be nice to use the leds in combination with the V4 revision. I'm not good in doing it myself so I hope to get some advise.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:34 AM, tajvdz said:

Well if I compare both boards I see that Gavin used a 2nd row of pinheaders to connect it to the arduino. On the board itself are 3 resistors and a chip. Besides that he added connectors for the 2 leds, switch and sio cables so you don't have to solder. The connectors I don't care but it would be nice to use the leds in combination with the V4 revision. I'm not good in doing it myself so I hope to get some advise.

1 hour ago, tajvdz said:

No one here who is able to help me?

Hello @tajvdz it seems that no-one has the interface board that you have to work from.

The two rows of pin headers you mentioned have been custom installed and not all Arduino carry these connections anyway. Yours is considered to be the Bestduino for the S-Drive Max and modified to suit.

Are you able to remove the SIO buffer from the Arduino and supply images of both sides of the board? Then maybe we can figure it out.

What instructions did you receive with your S-Drive Max did it all arrive pre-assembled?

The three resistors have values of R2 & R3 4.7K Ohm and will be the pull-up resistors for TX and RX, and R1 10K Ohm possibly feeding the power LED although this seems a bit high so may be another pull-up resistor. The chip is most probably a 74LS07 hex buffer.

I am not entirely sure why you need the extra LEDs though, as the display itself indicates that it is on, and there is an activity indicator in the top left hand corner of the display?

3 hours ago, TZJB said:

I am not entirely sure why you need the extra LEDs though, as the display itself indicates that it is on, and there is an activity indicator in the top left hand corner of the display?

The LED's were for the modified Drive cases Gavin made from my original drive case designs, he added drive activity and power leds to the front of the cases 

image.thumb.jpeg.37a43e067577ab8a7eb1da20dadb85e1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TZJB said:

Hello @tajvdz it seems that no-one has the interface board that you have to work from.

The two rows of pin headers you mentioned have been custom installed and not all Arduino carry these connections anyway. Yours is considered to be the Bestduino for the S-Drive Max and modified to suit.

Are you able to remove the SIO buffer from the Arduino and supply images of both sides of the board? Then maybe we can figure it out.

What instructions did you receive with your S-Drive Max did it all arrive pre-assembled?

The three resistors have values of R2 & R3 4.7K Ohm and will be the pull-up resistors for TX and RX, and R1 10K Ohm possibly feeding the power LED although this seems a bit high so may be another pull-up resistor. The chip is most probably a 74LS07 hex buffer.

I got the whole thing assembled about 4 years ago. Stupid thing is that I made a mistake with connecting the sio cable so it doesn't work anymore. I'm also unlucky that no one is making it anymore. I'm not able to remove the upper board myself. I like the 2 leds mounted to the case. It adds a nice feature. That is why I bought it..

12 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

The LED's were for the modified Drive cases Gavin made from my original drive case designs, he added drive activity and power leds to the front of the cases 

image.thumb.jpeg.37a43e067577ab8a7eb1da20dadb85e1.jpeg

Yes I know but I also think the leds look nice on my modified xl case. I think it must be possible to add the leds directy to the arduino or not?

Yes i expect it’s pretty simple, if you have the original board, to follow the traces. At most it will be one resister and a couple of wires. 

If no one else has that board, no one else can help you. 
I don’t know how much more help anyone else can offer, it’s pretty much up

to you to work it out and share the info so it can help the next person looking for this info. 

2 hours ago, madness77 said:

you simply connect the diodes to the arduino via two resistors:

https://en.devzine.pl/2023/04/13/sdrive-max-and-leds/

Well for someone with a technical background or education this looks simple maybe but for me it isn't. That is why I bought it completely. But I see that it is possible in combination with a uno2sio board. So you only need 2 wires from the arduino?

10 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Yes i expect it’s pretty simple, if you have the original board, to follow the traces. At most it will be one resister and a couple of wires. 

to you to work it out and share the info so it can help the next person looking for this info. 

Well I'm not a technician so I'm not able to do it myself. That is why I bought it complete 4 years ago. 

1 minute ago, tajvdz said:

Well for someone with a technical background or education this looks simple maybe but for me it isn't. That is why I bought it completely. But I see that it is possible in combination with a uno2sio board. So you only need 2 wires from the arduino?

Honestly, it requires technical skills and electronic knowledge at primary school level. ;-)

You need 4 wires and 2 resistors:

A     +5V --------- [1kOhm]---------------(longer leg)  [LED]      ex. RED (Power LED). 

R      GND ----------------------------------(shorter leg)   

D

U     +5V ----------[470 Ohm] ------------(longer leg)   [LED]     ex. GREEN (Activity LED)

I      RX ------------------------------------(shorter leg)

N

O     

You can see where and how it is connected in the pictures, it can't be explained any easier than that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Well I'm not a technician so I'm not able to do it myself. That is why I bought it complete 4 years ago

34 minutes ago, madness77 said:

Honestly, it requires technical skills and electronic knowledge at primary school level. ;-)

You need 4 wires and 2 resistors:

A     +5V --------- [1kOhm]---------------(longer leg)  [LED]      ex. RED (Power LED). 

R      GND ----------------------------------(shorter leg)   

D

U     +5V ----------[470 Ohm] ------------(longer leg)   [LED]     ex. GREEN (Activity LED)

I      RX ------------------------------------(shorter leg)

N

O     

You can see where and how it is connected in the pictures, it can't be explained any easier than that.

Well I have someone who can do it for me but I'm not able to solder it myself. So 4 wires, 2 diodes and 2 resistors have to go to the places on the arduino you specified?

28 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

Ok. Does it matter on which of the 2 wires you put the resistor?

It does not matter whether the resistor is in front of the diode or behind it. It only needs to be in series with it, in which case the excess voltage will be deposited on it.

It is a matter of convention to place it on the + side.

The most important thing is the correct polarity of the LEDs.

Edited by madness77

Ok. That is not that hard. By the way ignore the uno2sio board. It is just an example. I will use another arduino with v3 or v4 uno2sio board.

Why are are the letters arduino here?

I don't see them on my version. Where is it for?

A     +5V --------- [1kOhm]---------------(longer leg)  [LED]      ex. RED (Power LED).

R      GND ----------------------------------(shorter leg)  

D

U     +5V ----------[470 Ohm] ------------(longer leg)   [LED]     ex. GREEN (Activity LED)

I      RX ------------------------------------(shorter leg)

N

O