IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

I did the thing with the leds yesterday. I let a friend of mine solder the 4 leads to the Arduino and I put the resistor on one lead and put the led on the end. I used the arduino that has the problem with the sio cable so there was no danger in destroying a good working one. The result was not what I hoped it would be. The power led is constantly on like it should be but also the activity led. I also connected a led to activity led pins on the sio board and that one is acting normal. Also the small rx led on the arduino itself is off. What went wrong? By the way I think the power led is too bright as well but that can be solved with other leds and resistors. I hope someone is able to help me. On the clip you can see what happens when I put the power on. The 2 leds on top should act the same. Blink for a moment and stays off. The pictures show how I connected it.

20240411_220753.jpg

20240411_223537.jpg

20240411_224332.jpg

20240411_233043.jpg

20240411_235022.jpg

Edited by tajvdz

54 minutes ago, madness77 said:

Are you 100% sure you have connected the activity diode correctly? Compare with the instructions I sent and think for a moment.

Well what can go wrong? Other led or other resistor? Or is it possible it got to hot with soldering? 

Edited by tajvdz

2 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

Well what can go wrong? Other led or other resistor? Or is it possible it got to hot with soldering?

+5V ----------[470 Ohm] ------------(longer leg)   [LED]     ex. GREEN (Activity LED)

RX -----------------------------------(shorter leg)

look how you connected it

The wires are on the correct holes like you can see. Only thing that happened, but according to my friend that can't cause any problem, is that the hole beneath the gnd was filled with soldering tin. He said removing it can cause more damage..

So 5v is power and rx is activity?

I'm not sure if the values of the resistors match. Can this cause constant burning instead of blinking on activity?

– POWER LED: anode (longer leg) through resistor approx. 1 kΩ to supply +5V, cathode (shorter leg) to ground (GND)
– ACTIVITY LED: anode (longer leg)through 470 Ω resistor to +5V, while the cathode to RX output on Arduino board (HINT HINT HINT)

also you can put another resistor value (higher) or have another in series to dim them and keep from drawing to much power from the arduino or power source. (hint)

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 hours ago, madness77 said:

I know what's wrong looking at your photos, but I want you to think for yourself, I won't suggest more.

image.thumb.jpeg.995a6e7dd425e4f8d7e0b034106833c3.jpeg

Please tell me. I have no clue. Like I told before I'm not a technician. Wait I think I see it. I have 2 wires on gnd but it should be 2 wires on 5v?

Edited by tajvdz

On 4/9/2024 at 11:16 AM, tajvdz said:

I thought so too that blank should turn the screensaver on or off but it shows up in both. Is it possible that on one of the two it takes longer?

I still don't know what scroll does.

You have to always leave the cfg menu with the Save button, if something was changed, otherwise it will be dropped.

The Scroll option enable/disable the scrolling (long) filename on top of the display during file selection.

Edited by kbr
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Close, you need to read more slowly the hint hint hints. No hint on a correct line but hint on something that needs a look or possible change.

You mean other resistor value? I changed the wire. Activity led is now off. I only have to look how I can get it blinking since this sdrive is the one that has the sio problem. I don't want to test on my working device. But please don't play games with hints. Like I said I'm not a technician. Maybe I overlooked something. I'd Rather have you telling me. If I knew it I didn't make the mistake.

2 hours ago, tajvdz said:

You mean other resistor value? I changed the wire. Activity led is now off. I only have to look how I can get it blinking since this sdrive is the one that has the sio problem. I don't want to test on my working device. But please don't play games with hints. Like I said I'm not a technician. Maybe I overlooked something. I'd Rather have you telling me. If I knew it I didn't make the mistake.

Show a picture of what it looks like now.

It looks like this now. I didn't finish it off like I did last time but wires are connected. And I covered the soldering with some tape. 

I'm going to get the right resistors today. 

Is there a way to test the activity led without sio cable?

20240413_115315.jpg

20240413_115350.jpg

7 hours ago, tajvdz said:

Is there a way to test the activity led without sio cable?

Looks OK. To check that you have connected the activity diode correctly, connect the Arduino to power and disconnect. The LED should blink once when RX changes state from 1 to 0.

2 hours ago, madness77 said:

Looks OK. To check that you have connected the activity diode correctly, connect the Arduino to power and disconnect. The LED should blink once when RX changes state from 1 to 0.

I have to check. When I use the led on the uno2sio board that one blinks once. I didn't see it on the led I connected myself and the rx led on the arduino board. Maybe because this board has a problem that doesn't affect the uno2sio board. At this stage I find it to risky to test this on my working arduino. I want to connect it to that one when everything works fine. 

By the way, it is safe to put power on the arduino without the touch screen?

Edited by tajvdz

Well I started all over again with new leds and resistors. The red (power) led is working ok now. The green led isn't blinking once. But like I said earlier also the rx led on the arduino doesn't blink. When I connect a led to the activity led pins on the uno2sio board that one does blink. I find this a bit strange. But is this because there is a problem with the arduino? 

Also these leds are a bit too large. The small shop i bought these didn't have smaller. I have to order them online for my other sdrive. But too bad that I can't see the result of the activity led.

20240414_010853.jpg

Edited by tajvdz

Do you have a multimeter? It can be a small cheapest one from e.g. the DIY shop for $5.

If you do have one, check if there is a high state on RX (logical "1" = ~5 volts) when the power is switched on?

Is the diode correctly polarised (LED is not a bulb) - does the "minus" of the diode go to RX? (The diode has a flat edge on the "minus" side).

Does the diode blink once when you disconnect the power? If not, try connecting it the other way round.

Don't worry, there is no risk.

Edited by madness77

40 minutes ago, madness77 said:

Do you have a multimeter? It can be a small cheapest one from e.g. the DIY shop for $5.

If you do have one, check if there is a high state on RX (logical "1" = ~5 volts) when the power is switched on?

Is the diode correctly polarised (LED is not a bulb) - does the "minus" of the diode go to RX? (The diode has a flat edge on the "minus" side).

Does the diode blink once when you disconnect the power? If not, try connecting it the other way round.

Don't worry, there is no risk.

Yes i have a multimeter. And yes the minus goes to RX, shorter leg of the led / diode. The longer leg of the led goes with a 470 Ohm resistor to the 5v. 

It does not blink when I disconnect the power. However the one that can be connected to the uno2sio board blinks when putting power on. 

Like i said before the rx led on the arduino doesn't blink as well. But this aduino has a problem. So i was curious about the still working unit. I looked at the onboard leds and when i put power on 3 onboard leds go on and one is going off again. It was not the rx led. That one does nothing. I took a closer look on the other arduino and it turned out that 2 go on and one goes off. So I think this shows that you can't rely on this arduino according the leds. I enclosed 2 small clips what happens when I put the power on. By the way the blinking one is L and the 2nd that stays on is TX. And that one does nothing on the arduino I use for testing.

Can it be possible that it doesn't work anymore because I made the mistake with connecting the wire earlier?

I think myself that if i connect everything to my working arduino it works just fine. I only wanted to test everything with the broken one. Length of wires. Fitting in holes etc so i know how to do it on the working arduino without making mistakes. But I have the right resistors and wires, only need the same leds I used last time in smaller size. I think that I have to try if that fits on the broken arduino and case and put it on the working arduino without knowing what the activity led does.

Back to the multimeter if that is still necessary. What do i have to do with that?

I took a closer look to the leds on the arduino. I compared it with 

Edited by tajvdz

Back to the multimeter if that is still necessary. What do i have to do with that?

In general, a multimeter is a basic and essential tool for diagnosing problems:

- you can check if there is ~5V on RX (red probe to RX, black probe anywhere to ground, e.g. USB enclosure or GND hole)

- you can check that there is a connection to the diode, that there is +5V on the diode itself (from the 5V field side) and that there is continuity of the connection (e.g. no break due to the quality of the connections) - then, on power off, you switch the multimeter from V to Ω, you measure the resistance when the power is off

- you can check if the diode is not burnt out, you set the multimeter to the diode symbol, check with the power off (!) and the diode disconnected from the arduino

- you can check e.g. resistor values to make sure you have given 470 ohms and not e.g. 470 kilo ohms ;) 

Edited by madness77

Ok. A lot I can do with that. But I realy have no clue how to use a multimeter. Only some very basic things. I can do the leads from print to led to see if the connection works. I know how to do that. But also you only replied to one thing in my previous post. What about the behaviour of the onboard leds when i compared the 2 arduinos? Does that suggest that things might not work properly?

And if so what are the changes when I connect everything to the working arduino that it will work?

Is it possible to connect it to that one without having to solder first? Putting the wires in the holes for the screen maybe?

And i don't think that there is a problem with the led itself because I used 2 different ones. Is it possible that it doesn't work anymore because I did it wrong at first? When the led was constantly on? And what about the omboard and 3rd led that blinked when putting power on and not with switching off?

Edited by tajvdz

9 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

Is this allowed? I can put this on the working arduino. Maybe I see the green led blinking them? I only can not test it with screen to load a game..

try it, nothing bad should happen