IGNORED

Playing Sam's Journey, would an A8 version be possible

MaDDuck

sometimes I don't get where your estimations come from...

That's the point ;)

How shall I explain things? Back in the days, when I wanted to show stuff to people, I wrote small games in BASIC in less than 15 minutes on the Atari out of the head. They included the main "hero" enemies attacking and joystick control, including platform collision , and so on. . And, I don't think I'm such a blessed guy ;)

People who studied coding, doing it every day...

Edited by emkay

It's totally possible to make basis of game engine over weekend. Playable demo even. But even then it will take 2 years to make a 100% complete game out of it. That's why demos are easier (it only takes like 2 months after the first weekend) :-D

• Like 3

It's totally possible to make basis of game engine over weekend. Playable demo even. But even then it will take 2 years to make a 100% complete game out of it. That's why demos are easier (it only takes like 2 months after the first weekend) :-D

And now do the right angle of view to what is the difference between a "sprite with scrolling" engine on the C64 and on the Atari. So, while -in a year or so - the C64 game of that type is full in development with all gaming details, on the Atari the software sprite engine is "in development" ....

Why dont we ask NRV how long he worked on his platform engine?

Or The guys of Crownland?

I find it strange that how ppl underestimate such things.

Popmilo could answer as he is actually coding a platform er....

Or ask TMR.... how long it took his first SMUP engine on a8 and on C64?

• Like 1

Let's keep positive!

sam's journey wasn't written in a year, enough with all the BS, I know for a fact it was worked on looooonger than that. I bet if one were to google and read you would find the journey to sam's was not 'in a weekend' or 'a year'. Sillly stuff like this always gets in the way of starting a project and often kills it before it starts.

How about a let's just do it, keep quiet approach... or else this tiresome drudge will continue. Valuable time spent splitting hairs on an SEP...

How about every time some one wants to TRY we let them do so and encourage it! This is how great things get made!

Edited by _The Doctor__

Let's keep positive!

sam's journey wasn't written in a year, enough with all the BS, I know for a fact it was worked on looooonger than that. I bet if one were to google and read you would find the journey to sam's was not 'in a weekend' or 'a year'. Sillly stuff like this always gets in the way of starting a project and often kills it before it starts.

The silliness in where that gets ignored on and on. There are a gazillion "game engines" on the Atari, that even don't get close to what's needed for the aimed game itself.

Latest evidence is that "Ferrari Grand Prix" demo. Things were not possible "that way" , but people try on and on. Like flies flying against a window on and on. ;)

Also the "game engine" done in a weekend on the C64. This is no problem today. I wonder even more about you guys disbelieving that. It's nothing special on the C64.

I wrote this "Basic Demo" in one evening , after more than 25 year of non programming at all. Just had to check some registers in the Atari book.

The expectation from my side is now that people don't even get what's behind it.

Edited by emkay

And I know why your demos never get polished ;)

I can tell you why... because my goal is "a released product is better than a non released product" and a demo/game is always a constraint of time vs budget... so at some point I make a decision to finish it... simple. sometimes my knowledge is not good enough... as I code on A8, C64, VIC20, Lynx, PSX, PICO-8,...

I know you don't care but you see me on 3rd place.... (and last man entering the stage...)

• Like 3

I can tell you why... because my goal is "a released product is better than a non released product" and a demo/game is always a constraint of time vs budget... so at some point I make a decision to finish it... simple. sometimes my knowledge is not good enough... as I code on A8, C64, VIC20, Lynx, PSX, PICO-8,...

I know you don't care but you see me on 3rd place.... (and last man entering the stage...)

Well, the difference is that I did some software that does multitasking in basic on the Atari. You know, the referring machine to this forums.

And you do better demos on better machines.

Edited by emkay

how about an emkay vs tqa code off?

given a 6 month window... come back with a finished demo to blow the sockets off our chips.... at the same time converting the demo into a game finished at the 18 month marker.... that would be a year and a half to make it all happen... 18 months total, and then whatever happens after that we all win and the winner has bragging rights and loser can refrain from arguing with the winner over this stuff forever!

I know who I bet on making best of both!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Well, the difference is that I did some software that does multitasking in basic on the Atari. You know, the referring machine to this forums.

And you do better demos on better machines.

... i will not answer that... as I am not sure if that's ironic... and yes... I never used multitasking... that's for pussies... using VBL, IRQs etc... and thanks for your proof that VIC20-16k is more capable than A8...

I'm not a coder, and have more important things to do in my life.

Please refrain from speaking about coding if that's your stance... Please make wonderful music instead...

Who could have guessed?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2