IGNORED

Penult RPG (Atari 2600)

Karl G

We're getting close to November... can't wait for this to appear on the store.  I'll be putting in an order to get my copy of this!

I've been patiently waiting for this release.  I've been following the development on Atariage and now we are weeks away from being able to order it.  I hope Albert sold all the copies of this that he took to PRGE!!

That box art looks great!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

We're getting close to November... can't wait for this to appear on the store.  I'll be putting in an order to get my copy of this!

I've been patiently waiting for this release.  I've been following the development on Atariage and now we are weeks away from being able to order it.  I hope Albert sold all the copies of this that he took to PRGE!!

That box art looks great!  

Thanks! I doubt he sold all of his copies; I think that is relatively rare. I did forget to pick up my own copy while I was there, though! 😅

I'm looking forward to the store release, too! 🙂 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Thanks! I doubt he sold all of his copies; I think that is relatively rare.

I did not sell them all, but I always come prepared with more copies than I think I'll need just in case.  And even when I have extra stock, that just gets me ahead of the game for when the games hit the store.  

2 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I did forget to pick up my own copy while I was there, though! 😅

I should have made more of an effort to get authors copies of their games so I don't have to ship them, but I mostly spaced on that since I was pretty busy most of the time.  I will get them all out soon, once I unpack everything from the show (which I am working on today, but probably won't finish until tomorrow). 

..Al

Well I guess in a way, that's some good news!  lol  A copy will be ready when they hit the store!  I'm going to be on the lookout for the new games to hit the store.  I plan on ordering on day 1!  lol

It's also cool that author's get their own copy... after all the hard work that they put into the games.

• 4 weeks later...

With some extra time on Thanksgiving week, I started delving into my PRGE purchase of Penult - highly addictive and immersive!  

I am wondering if a Penult strategy guide will ever be published? There's a few places that I'm getting stuck where I don't quite have permission to do something or buy something and could probably use a few nudges in the right direction.

Edit:  One nudge I could use is:  What should I be looking to do with the

Spoiler

Orb of the Phoenix

?  

Edited by littaum
Adding in spoiler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, littaum said:

With some extra time on Thanksgiving week, I started delving into my PRGE purchase of Penult - highly addictive and immersive!  

I am wondering if a Penult strategy guide will ever be published? There's a few places that I'm getting stuck where I don't quite have permission to do something or buy something and could probably use a few nudges in the right direction.

Edit:  One nudge I could use is:  What should I be looking to do with the

Hide contents

Orb of the Phoenix

?  

I'm glad that you are enjoying the game! I have actually thought about writing some form of hint guide in electronic form for anyone who could use one. As to your specific question, I'll give three levels of hints in spoiler tags. You can choose how much you want to know that way. :)

Spoiler

Some towns and castles have hidden areas. In one of these areas is someone with information on dungeon orbs.

Spoiler

Each dungeon has an orb, but you don't take them with you when you exit the dungeon. The message given when you find it hints at its function. 

Spoiler

Without finding and touching the dungeon orb, there is no way to emerge successfully from the top level, so finding the dungeon orb is necessary to beat the dungeon and find out what lies above the top level.  

• Thanks 1

I'm making lots of great progress, even to the point of encountering the big bad in their lair .. except they seemed to indicate I wasn't quite ready yet.  I've been able to come across the Gem and the Dust (not spoilering those since they are mentioned in the manual) but I suspect I didn't properly collect something in one of the dungeons.  I took a screenshot of my character (printed below in the spoiler tags) and there are a few "marks" - I suspect I'm missing the one that is blank in between the other ones. 

Any chance I can get a few hints on where to find this mark?  Everything has been really well laid out, it's just normally on these types of games I'd have a printout of the GameFAQ's walkthough to help me with some of the tougher puzzles. :) 

Spoiler

image.png.564da66ea64152f21d8e2708fb944d18.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littaum said:

Any chance I can get a few hints on where to find this mark?  Everything has been really well laid out, it's just normally on these types of games I'd have a printout of the GameFAQ's walkthough to help me with some of the tougher puzzles. :) 

Excellent! I will once again employ my 3-spoiler system to help you out. :D

Spoiler

You are not missing anything on your character sheet needed to win the game. There is a mysterious hermit in a cave on the mainland with information on who you should talk to.

Spoiler

There is a hidden cave on the Isle of Mystery with a ghost that has vital information for you. You may have already been there, as it looks like you found a spirit stone there.

Spoiler

To apply what you learned from the ghost, you need to speak the words to perform the dispelling. The spot should be intuitive, and nearby. 🙂 

Let me know if these give you enough information.  🙂 

15 hours ago, Karl G said:

Excellent! I will once again employ my 3-spoiler system to help you out. :D

Let me know if these give you enough information.  🙂 

Indeed, those hints were vey helpful.  It turned out I knew the words as I had discovered them before - just not where to say them. :)

I think I need 1 more hint before victory. 

Spoiler

I've said the words, things changed in the room, and talked to the big bad after that.  But it's not clear to me what is next - is it something in that room?

11 minutes ago, littaum said:

Indeed, those hints were vey helpful.  It turned out I knew the words as I had discovered them before - just not where to say them. :)

I think I need 1 more hint before victory. 

Reveal hidden contents

I've said the words, things changed in the room, and talked to the big bad after that.  But it's not clear to me what is next - is it something in that room?

Indeed; you are very close...

Spoiler

Thana is telling you what not to do. You do know she is the villain, right? :D All that's left to do is to find a way to close the dark rift to the Shadow Realm that is now exposed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the last hint - that was what I needed.

...and now, I am "Sharing my triumph!" for having won the game.  This was easily the most time I've ever spent playing a single play through on an Atari 2600 game and I enjoyed every minute of it.  It was really well balanced.  I appreciate that things were well laid out and the player never ended up in a dead-end-no-win-situation like some of the old Sierra Online Point and Click adventures.  And despite me asking for hints multiple times on this thread, everything was really logically placed and made sense in the end - normally on these kind of games I need a walkthrough to parse through much of the game.

Battles were also nicely tuned.  There was definitely some strategy involved, and the pacing was just right.  Back in the day when playing Ultima IV I got to the final dungeon but never completed it because battles took too long to do (having so many companions really bogged things down - here is it just you and your trusty Fey Dragon companion).  And the control scheme in Penult was way better than the Ultima games - having everything controllable by a single joystick was a masterstroke in design genius.  When playing I usually forgot this was on an Atari 2600, it really punched above its technical weight.  Kudos on such an exceptional game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, littaum said:

Thanks for the last hint - that was what I needed.

...and now, I am "Sharing my triumph!" for having won the game.  This was easily the most time I've ever spent playing a single play through on an Atari 2600 game and I enjoyed every minute of it.  It was really well balanced.  I appreciate that things were well laid out and the player never ended up in a dead-end-no-win-situation like some of the old Sierra Online Point and Click adventures.  And despite me asking for hints multiple times on this thread, everything was really logically placed and made sense in the end - normally on these kind of games I need a walkthrough to parse through much of the game.

Battles were also nicely tuned.  There was definitely some strategy involved, and the pacing was just right.  Back in the day when playing Ultima IV I got to the final dungeon but never completed it because battles took too long to do (having so many companions really bogged things down - here is it just you and your trusty Fey Dragon companion).  And the control scheme in Penult was way better than the Ultima games - having everything controllable by a single joystick was a masterstroke in design genius.  When playing I usually forgot this was on an Atari 2600, it really punched above its technical weight.  Kudos on such an exceptional game!

Wow - high praise indeed! I'm glad that you enjoyed the game so much. I definitely enjoyed making it, with the support and encouragement of the community here.  🙂 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew presents...

20231212-AtariAgeDay-Penult.thumb.jpg.34e2413a7a884afb3bf5d66ec20d53e1.jpg

Sun Dec 17, 2023 @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

On Sunday December 17, 2023 ZeroPage Homebrew will be interviewing the developers of every single new physical release coming to the AtariAge store! Join us LIVE on Twitch while we unbox all the new Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar and Lynx games and talk with the incredibly talented Atari community members about their games! Get your questions ready for the devs and following along in the Twitch chat as we pop in each of the 22 new releases into our Atari consoles!

NEW GAME RELEASES

Atari 2600: Berry Fun!, Bot&Tom, Caramujo, ElectroBall, Game of the Bear 2 Much To BearImmunity!, Penult, Quantum Tunnel, Robot Zed

Atari 5200: Scorch

Atari 7800: A.R.T.I., Death Merchant, E.X.O., Harpy's Curse, Millie and Molly, Oozy the Goo - Gaiden, Plumb Luck DX

Atari Jaguar: Defender of the Crown, Novagen Volume 1, Rocket Ranger
Atari Lynx: Growing Ties Deluxe, Odynexus

• Like 4

I didn't grow up with the Ultima games, but they have always been on the periphery of conversations and other games that I have played over the years.  Working on the illustration and other artwork for the packaging for Penult gave me a reason to dive into the visuals that surround these games in order to give Penult the artistic treatment it deserves.  As I have said with another recent 2600 game that I helped put the packaging together for, it's incredible to see what the Atari 2600 can do.  I would have scoffed at someone casually telling me that an RPG of this depth would be possible, but here it is.  I've put quite a bit of time into the demo, and I look forward to putting more time into it once I get my hands on my own copy.

I'm honored to have been a small part in bringing Penult, a game that wears it's inspirations on it's sleeve proudly, to it's final form for others to enjoy.  I'm incredibly thankful for @Karl G his amazing work on this game.  I'm also thankful for his and @Albert's feedback to get all the physical materials to a point that I hope other's feel does this standout game justice.

To celebrate it's impending release on the AtariAge store, I recorded a time lapse of the primary illustration.  This illustration was only one of quite a few illustrations done for all the packaging, so there are going to be plenty of visual treats to see when we get our hands on this game. Enjoy!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BitJag said:

I didn't grow up with the Ultima games, but they have always been on the periphery of conversations and other games that I have played over the years.  Working on the illustration and other artwork for the packaging for Penult gave me a reason to dive into the visuals that surround these games in order to give Penult the artistic treatment it deserves.  As I have said with another recent 2600 game that I helped put the packaging together for, it's incredible to see what the Atari 2600 can do.  I would have scoffed at someone casually telling me that an RPG of this depth would be possible, but here it is.  I've put quite a bit of time into the demo, and I look forward to putting more time into it once I get my hands on my own copy.

I'm honored to have been a small part in bringing Penult, a game that wears it's inspirations on it's sleeve proudly, to it's final form for others to enjoy.  I'm incredibly thankful for @Karl G his amazing work on this game.  I'm also thankful for his and @Albert's feedback to get all the physical materials to a point that I hope other's feel does this standout game justice.

To celebrate it's impending release on the AtariAge store, I recorded a time lapse of the primary illustration.  This illustration was only one of quite a few illustrations done for all the packaging, so there are going to be plenty of visual treats to see when we get our hands on this game. Enjoy!

That's an amazing tribute, and even more amazing artwork! I enjoyed getting a glimpse of the creation process. I definitely would not call your contribution "small" in any way. 🙂

• Like 3

Wow, this game looks absolutely amazing!  💗  I can't even fathom how this is possible on the 2600.  Being a huge fan of Ultima III and IV, I will definitely be ordering a copy along with the AtariVox.  Thanks for all the time you put into making Penult, you will be getting my vote for best Atari 2600 game.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:58 AM, Karl G said:

For those who missed the news, AtariAge has added a number of new games to the store for pre-order, including Penult! I'm personally quite looking forward to seeing @BitJag's excellent map artwork printed on cloth. 🙂

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1303

Are there any plans to make the map available to those who purchased the game at PRGE?

• Like 1