IGNORED

GoSub (WIP)

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I added directional torpedos. I have 304 bytes left for other graphics, which isn't very much. Seeing has how one 8x8 .png file is around 200 bytes!

You have more space than you think, a PNG file contains a lot of information that gets thrown out when you compile your game.

160A mode is 2bpp (bits per pixel) so as there are 8 bits to a byte a byte defines 4 pixels. That means an 8*8 image will be just 16 bytes in your game if you're using an 8 pixel high zone size.

The zone size is important because for the 7800 to draw things properly the graphics need to be padded to a multiple of the zone size. 7800BASIC takes care of that for you but it means if you used a 16 pixel high zone your 8*8 image would be stored as an 8*16 image in the game and take 32 bytes instead of 16.

With that being said, where did you get the 304 number from? If it's from the compiler where it says something like (304*8) then you actually have 2432 bytes left so go crazy with it.

So if we have room and planning to "go crazy" with it.. how about:

torpedo4.gif.dc00ae9b5d0608fe753d26bcfca48263.gif animated directional torpedoes (2 frames in each direction) ?

crab3.gif.d890d59d080513531f7ebe68c840615a.gif crab enemy from level 11 to 20 plus boss crab (currently 3 frames) ?

jelly4.gif.c4465268ca27d931c5afadbb88af491d.gif jellyfish enemy from level 21 to 30 plus boss jellyfish (currently 3 frames) ?

1246680190_gettinghit.JPG.ffede4e95562d96ad26b45f1217be289.JPG  octo boss (any boss) "getting hit" individual frames ?

Explosions for sub and enemies ?

Edited by TIX

I want the game to have 30 levels and and ending. For that to be possible, here's what needs to happen:

Right now, I have 4,164 bytes left. The data for ten more mazes would take up 3,800 more bytes, leaving only 300 or so for an ending. So let's not go crazy. I added some space for an explosion graphic, though.

gosub2019august22.zip

• Like 1

14 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I want the game to have 30 levels and and ending. For that to be possible, here's what needs to happen:

Right now, I have 4,164 bytes left. The data for ten more mazes would take up 3,800 more bytes, leaving only 300 or so for an ending. So let's not go crazy. I added some space for an explosion graphic, though.

Cool !

Here is a animated explosion (3 frames),

explosion.gif.2c77474991c6d03ddf13d53b812f49cf.gif

if you can't fit it in, choose an individual frame:

292889365_subexplosion.JPG.982ae963bd8eab875f0b7c1c67598b8b.JPG

I understand that the animated torpedo is out of the question, but would you consider a more uniform size to get rid if the ultra fat vertical ones ?

torpedo.thumb.JPG.968691fc0a40a44ea79d446f20b32b3e.JPG

Edited by TIX

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, TIX said:

I understand that the animated torpedo is out of the question, but would you consider a more uniform size to get rid if the ultra fat vertical ones ?

torpedo.thumb.JPG.968691fc0a40a44ea79d446f20b32b3e.JPG

Personally, I'd rather have animated non-directional torpedoes than non-animated directional ones.

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I found and fixed a few bugs. I also changed the missile shape.

It plays great, torpedoes look great, also the explosion kills you ! I love it  :P

It only needs a "wirrrrrr" sound for the engine and it's perfect !! oh and a fire torpedo "whooosh" effect..

Edited by TIX

Cute and quick pick me up game.  This has shaped up rather nicely.

1 hour ago, TIX said:

It only needs a "wirrrrrr" sound for the engine and it's perfect !! oh and a fire torpedo "whooosh" effect..

Biggest 'issue' with the title.  It is too quite.  A simple background melody or engine sound effect would definitely help.

Also, launching a torpedo in a vertical direction goes right through the shark.

I'm trying to add a song but when I compile it, under the unresolved symbol list there's a value called 'setsongchannels'. Why does EVERYTHING I DO have to be so HARD?! All I want to do is play the song I made during the game but noooooo... here's my code in case anyone cares.

gosub.bas

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

under the unresolved symbol list there's a value called 'setsongchannels'.  

I remember having problems with that, add the line 'set trackersupport basic' somewhere at the start of your code. By default 7800BASIC doesn't include the tracker code because not everybody will want it and it takes up ROM space that could be used on other things.

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

Thanks! Could someone add that bit of missing info on the 7800 BASIC guide?

Thanks for the heads-up. I've added this oversight to my local copy of the guide. I have a few more things I need to update before I push out a new 7800basic release, but no doubt RT will update the web-based copy of the guide when I do release it.

• Like 1

Nice job.  That little melody indeed helps. 

Thoughts on difficulty - just throwing it out there.  Game is a little too unforgiving as is and think perhaps instead of one hit against the seaweed walls, it take two to destroy the sub as the normal/default setting.  With a greater open space (I.E. Berzerk) one touch death is fair, but much of the sub's path is relatively very narrow, which becomes only that much more difficult once you throw Jaws in the midst of it.

Maybe then, first hit, it turns it to a yellow-ish color as seen in this post.  It resets back to the default color, allowing two hits again, at the start of a new level or life.

Completely flushed out, game's difficulty perhaps could be this:

1.  Hard - Current settings.  One hit against the seaweed and sub lost.

2.  Normal - Two hits to the seaweed and sub lost with a color change after one hit.

3.  Easy - No damage seaweed walls.  Touch as much as you like/need.  It's safe.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 3:17 AM, Trebor said:

Maybe then, first hit, it turns it to a yellow-ish color as seen in this post.  It resets back to the default color, allowing two hits again, at the start of a new level or life.

I like the idea of having a second chance with a change in color !