IGNORED

GoSub (WIP)

• 2 weeks later...

Am back working on this again. I got in a new level and fixed the sonar ping bug on the title screen. I just figured out I'm going to need a game over screen as well. So I put in that thing that allows you to replace wasted zeroes with actual code. But with the just now realizing me needing to add a game over screen (which can't read "game over" since there are no Vs in the font), I should just have enough room to make what I was going for when I started.

gosub2019september7.zip

• Like 1

Started work on the game over sequence. It needs something. Like graphics. But it has a little song it plays though before going back to the title screen. I thought for sure there was a thing that detected whether the TIA was playing notes, but there isn't, so I set a timer that counts to the end of the song.

gosub2019september8.zip

• Like 3

Something that should be added on the 7800basic guide: Banners must have a width and height in a pixel number divisible by 8. Otherwise it won't work well. I added a little picture on the game over screen, and I had tons of problems with it because of that.

gosub20190909.zip

• Like 2

I have no idea. I think it just needs to be only 3 colors, but I'm not sure. That's what the placeholder game over screen has, just 3 colors. I'd like a more experienced Atari 7800 programmer to chime in because I am wondering how the pretty colorful pictures in commercial 7800 games were made.

26 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I think it just needs to be only 3 colors, but I'm not sure.

The 7800 chooses a graphics mode by looking at a register in memory and the object's header, the combination of which controls how the graphics data is interpreted and drawn.

You don't really need to know how or why unless you want to use some of the other modes, but the thing to take away from it is that you can freely mix 160A and 160B mode graphics on the same screen.

160B let's you use all the colours from palettes 0 to 3 or 4 to 7 for 12 colours (plus transparency) in one image.

In 7800BASIC you just need to specify that it's intended to be drawn in 160B mode when you import the graphics, choose either palette 0 or 4 when you plot it, and the drawing routines will set it up properly for you.

Another thing to remember is that you can freely change the palette at any time so you're not limited to just the colours you use in game, you could choose specific colours for the image and then set them back when the game restarts.

• Like 4

I'm using a mix of 160A and 160B for Arkanoid. I've carefully laid out every palette to be used not only individually but also have palettes 0-3 for 160B sprites. Managed to also get the 10 brick colors with a black in 160A. Palettes 4-7 are changed for the Doh level (again a mix of 160A and 160B) for the background and doh head surrounds so I can fade and blacken things as required.

Been a huge juggling act and a constant review. Even after thinking it was not possible defender_2600 still managed to find a way so we could get extra colors for the backgrounds.  The effort has paid off as the screens are vivid and full of color.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

OK, so can TIX make the above picture be 12 or less colors then?

Yes definitely. I would give him your color palette (either 0-3 or 4-7) so he doesn't use the wrong colors and fits in with what you've got ?

23 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I thought you could redefine the palettes.

Well yes you can - I guess it depends on where.  If the title or game or end screen has their own palettes already then you can choose which one.  It can also depend on how much of the palettes you have or haven't allocated. 

I've found you just need to be careful on how you plan - at least in my case as I'm using every color available.

3 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I take care of palette 0-3 or 4-7. What you have to do is you can use any color, just make sure you don't use more than 11 different ones.

I think that's 11..  still working on this !

image.thumb.png.358ccfbb4a32539638142d0d2fb9886d.png

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2

I have some rather depressing news. Due to the amount of space reserved for graphics, all I have room for is a 36x36 pixel picture. So I played with the code and got a picture of a huge treasure chest in. Perhaps TIX can make it better than what I have now?

endingscene3.png

Also, I only have room for 20 levels, not the 30 I was hoping for.