IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

It would be a great #1. But other games too. Fortunately, we have 1 month to decide.

Haven't play too much right now, but in my opinion, Titan and Minimal have great potential but need more work to become full games. But they will be great games once finished.

Sybil's Nightmare Run is nice and give immediate fun but I need to play it more (only got to level 3) - Igor spoke about a surprise on Twitter

Xump 2 is... Xump 2, a very good game and a very good port.

Timeloop is very polished, addictive. And probably the most original of all games submitted

@Igor there is a bug in the Xump2 rom: tThere is an image missing for testing purpose that wasn't activated before releasing and pressing pause it's possible to see what dirty tricks I use while coding.

Is it possible to update the rom with this fix? It's a minor thing, so if not possible it's not a problem.

7 minutes ago, Igor said:

@karri and @Nop90 I've enabled uploads again so you can update your submitted ROMs. I'll be disabling uploads in a couple of days again so get your changes in soon please.

Yep. I am ready. I also uploaded the entry as 1024 block filled lnx file. And a lyx variant for AgaCart.

Thanks you @Igor

Just resubmitted a patched version : see devlog note on itch.io

For those who flashed the previous version. Reflashing the new one will not affect you EEProm save, so you will keep your progression.

but if you already deactivate more than 21 mines (you can check the number in achievements screen, when looking at the 21 Mines... achievement, this is the number at the bootom right), please telle me, I will send you a version that will unlock it next time you deactivate a mine.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:55 PM, LordKraken said:

Try screentogif @Igor

It s free and it has really cool and simple editing tools!

I ended up using Giphy Capture (I'm using a Mac). Works quite well and has an ok editor built in too.

gameplay.gif.bbd697d399a3300164031781f1e972aa.gif

On 8/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, 42bs said:

"Mind the gaps" ?

Ehehe, my time living in London didn't go to waste! Also an easy way of describing what not to do.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:03 AM, karri said:

Me too. When saying "less is more" I did not mean number of games :( 

This "itch.io" jam engine sucks. It announced 29 entries but revealed just 6. Is there perhaps some explanation?

Lots of people join but don't submit, then I had people submit some games I had to report for being racist, etc. There were some troll entries posted too. I'm happy with 6 games, but it would have been nice to get new developers to submit. I think we didn't advertise this competition as much as last year, but I did like the itch.io website to manage it all. I think for the next one I'll be sure to have each participant shown so everyone knows who's in the running.

Looking forward to the ratings!

• Like 2

That sounds fair @karri. I've been discussing a very small programming contest next, it will have a few mandatory things but should still be fun. Hopefully something that anyone on here can knock out in a few days. Just something for a bit of fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Igor said:

That sounds fair @karri. I've been discussing a very small programming contest next, it will have a few mandatory things but should still be fun. Hopefully something that anyone on here can knock out in a few days. Just something for a bit of fun.

Nice!

There is also Silly Ventures 2020 coming up on December 3rd.

Atari Lynx / Jaguar:
RJ1307 - e-mail: rj1307@wp.pl

Atari LYNX Game/Demo Compo
There's just one rule: NO RULES!  we didn't hear about any hardware extensions, so you must to take the challenge with original hardware ?

I just may fly to Gdansk in December if the COVID19 allows to travel. Obviously I will write something for this competition as well. Perhaps my Woodpecker would qualify :)

2 minutes ago, karri said:

Nice!

There is also Silly Ventures 2020 coming up on December 3rd.

Atari Lynx / Jaguar:
RJ1307 - e-mail: rj1307@wp.pl

Atari LYNX Game/Demo Compo
There's just one rule: NO RULES!  we didn't hear about any hardware extensions, so you must to take the challenge with original hardware ?

I just may fly to Gdansk in December if the COVID19 allows to travel. Obviously I will write something for this competition as well. Perhaps my Woodpecker would qualify :)

Or a sailing game ?

Edited by 42bs
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 42bs said:

Or a sailing game ?

Aaaarrrgggh. I actually program navigational software for ships for a living.

Because of this I do not want GPS, electronic charts, engines, autopilots or anything even closely related on board when I am on vacation.

I only sail or go kayaking. A paper chart and a magnetic compass is ok. But I leave my phone at shore.

So no sailing games from me.

• Haha 1

I'm trying to promote the contest on fb (with the help of Retroguru team and some other Italian Atari fans).

This way I hope the number of rates will increase.

Some articles on the contest start to pop up in the web. Today found this in french https://mag.mo5.com/actu/184100/les-jeux-en-lice-pour-le-concours-de-programmation-sur-lynx-2020/amp/

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I wish I could, since a French only web site is clearly limited in terms of audience, but it would be a ton of work, and I surely wouldn't do it for free... -_-

No problem. Google translate in Chrome is just a click away ;) 

151677384_Screenshotfrom2020-08-1814-42-49.thumb.png.9ab7698f42357fa94bd931fee99278a1.png

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I wish I could, since a French only web site is clearly limited in terms of audience, but it would be a ton of work, and I surely wouldn't do it for free... -_-

Thanks a lot for your articles about retro gaming and general support for homebrew.

MO5 Mag is my #1 source of info to discover homebrew releases :)!

On my end, I've posted about the contest on Reddit (on r/retrogaming and r/atarilynx), I hope it'll lead some additionnal players to discover the games and the contest!)

• Thanks 1