IGNORED

NEXT Season info

Just reading the thread ... I’m wondering why Astrosmash-Disc-Level couldn’t be an event ...  unless you’re worried that someone would play at an easier starting level ! 

The timed event is cool as well..  although it’s a slightly different challenge (rushing for points vs banking extra men).... but I agree some players may not have access to that ROM. 

I forgot to add about Ms. Night Stalker that the robots come out randomly. You can get a black bot with a yellow shooter as one of the first robots. So my impression is that it’s not a great competition version. (Although it’s a fun game to play). 

Regardless, thanks Jacob for your time and effort !!!! However you structure the contest, it’s super-fun to participate! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Just reading the thread ... I’m wondering why Astrosmash-Disc-Level couldn’t be an event ...  unless you’re worried that someone would play at an easier starting level ! 

I think Astrosmash would take way too long to play, it literally could go on forever. And if you try to time it, it would be very hard to get screenshots at the allotted time because your ship will be getting destroyed and you’ll be losing points while you’re trying to take the pictures. It’s a tough one to run a high score challenge with!

If you're playing the Astrosmash cartridge with an external timer, it doesn't matter how many points you lose because in the end it displays your peak score.

And Astromash doesn't really have starting difficulty levels.  It has game speeds which makes everything slower but otherwise plays the same.  We did Deadly Discs with people playing different speeds.

And regarding the special Astrosmash rom with the built in timer; anyone that wants the file can have it.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, mr_me said:

If you're playing the Astrosmash cartridge with an external timer, it doesn't matter how many points you lose because in the end it displays your peak score.

And Astromash doesn't really have starting difficulty levels.  It has game speeds which makes everything slower but otherwise plays the same.  We did Deadly Discs with people playing different speeds.

And regarding the special Astrosmash rom with the built in timer; anyone that wants the file can have it.

That’s a good point .. just drop the controller at 60 minutes.  and the game will give you your peak score :) smart thinking !!

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Good point. I wasn’t smart enough to think of that. ?

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

It's also available in the ROMs section of Intellivision dot US

If it's not already planned for later this season, I vote for a return of Astrosmash next season!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

It's also available in the ROMs section of Intellivision dot US

If it's not already planned for later this season, I vote for a return of Astrosmash next season!

Hey I'm down. Plus we could have two different tiers. One tier is just whatever you can do with unlimited time. The other tier would be a timed event. Honor system, of course.

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Intelligentleman said:

Hey I'm down. Plus we could have two different tiers. One tier is just whatever you can do with unlimited time. The other tier would be a timed event. Honor system, of course.

I trust these folks for honor system, I'd be fine with that.  Could be the same as having 2 tracks in Auto Racing, just have timed/untimed and award points for each.  Timed Astrosmash is such a rush!

• Like 1

I wonder why Intellivision never came out with their own version of Atari's Yars Revenge? That was a SUPER cool game BITD!!! ?

I mean maybe there was a patent on it? But since Space Invaders didn't have one which lead to Space Armada being created I wonder why the same thing didn't happen with Yars? 

Was just thinking of another game we could try.  Pitfall!  They played it in the Colecovision HSC recently, and I think we could do the same.  The game is scored, and we can see who makes it to the end of the timer without losing all lives.  Could be a combo of score and time left...maybe bonus points if you survive the timer.  I think it could be fun!

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Was just thinking of another game we could try.  Pitfall!  They played it in the Colecovision HSC recently, and I think we could do the same.  The game is scored, and we can see who makes it to the end of the timer without losing all lives.  Could be a combo of score and time left...maybe bonus points if you survive the timer.  I think it could be fun!

You never know, what could be in the list of games for Season 13. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2020 at 3:46 PM, Rickster8 said:

I wonder why Intellivision never came out with their own version of Atari's Yars Revenge? That was a SUPER cool game BITD!!! ?

I mean maybe there was a patent on it? But since Space Invaders didn't have one which lead to Space Armada being created I wonder why the same thing didn't happen with Yars? 

Sooooo nothing about Yars Revenge? I loved that Atari game. I know that's sacrilege on an InTV board lol ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Sooooo nothing about Yars Revenge? I loved that Atari game. I know that's sacrilege on an InTV board lol ?

Maybe a post in the main section would get more comments.  A lot of the guys don't read the high score club section.

On 7/27/2020 at 3:46 PM, Rickster8 said:

Space Invaders didn't have a patent but the code and art is protected by copyright.  Technically, the Space Armada art doesn't infringe Taito's copyright.  And at the time, Taito wasn't suing anyone over it like they are today.

In the early days Mattel was copying popular arcade games.  Space Armada wasn't the only one.  There was Snafu, Frog Bog, and Triple Action (although Brickout was axed); an Intellivision Asteroids game was in development.  At the time there was no precedence for video game copyright case law, until Atari sued this guy in 1981 for making an Asteroids like arcade game; and they threatened to sue Mattel when they saw an Asteroids like game on Intellivision at a trade show.  Atari lost their case with the Asteroids guy (late 1981) but the following year they won their copyright case against KC Munchkin. 

Yar's Revenge came out in 1982, after the KC Munchkin verdict.  Yars Revenge actually got poor reviews in the magazines.  It still made the top ten best selling atari 2600 cartridges right behind ET.  Mattel, like everyone else, was focused on licensing arcade machines.  Some intellivision cartridges were inspired by old mainframe games (e.g. Tarmin, Space Spartans) but I'm not sure any were inspired by other home video games.

Edit:  prior to the Asteroids case, also in 1981, Midway did successfully sue some guys over Galaxian and Pacman knockoffs.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Maybe a post in the main section would get more comments.  A lot of the guys don't read the high score club section.

Space Invaders didn't have a patent but the code and art is protected by copyright.  Technically, the Space Armada art doesn't infringe Taito's copyright.  And at the time, Taito wasn't suing anyone over it like they are today.

In the early days Mattel was copying popular arcade games.  Space Armada wasn't the only one.  There was Snafu, Frog Bog, and Triple Action (although Brickout was axed); an Intellivision Asteroids game was in development.  At the time there was no precedence for video game copyright case law, until Atari sued this guy in 1981 for making an Asteroids like arcade game; and they threatened to sue Mattel when they saw an Asteroids like game on Intellivision at a trade show.  Atari lost their case with the Asteroids guy (late 1981) but the following year they won their copyright case against KC Munchkin. 

Yar's Revenge came out in 1982, after the KC Munchkin verdict.  Yars Revenge actually got poor reviews in the magazines.  It still made the top ten best selling atari 2600 cartridges right behind ET.  Mattel, like everyone else, was focused on licensing arcade machines.  Some intellivision cartridges were inspired by old mainframe games (e.g. Tarmin, Space Spartans) but I'm not sure any were inspired by other home video games.

Man, you really know your stuff!  Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!

• Like 2

That did take some research but it's an interesting question.  Why didn't Atari sue Mattel over Space Armada.  Maybe because Space Invaders wasn't their IP.  Maybe because the Atari cartridge had aleady been out the previous year and sold tons.  Maybe they thought Space Invaders wasn't protected; new copyright laws went into effect in 1978.

• Like 2

Also note that Yars' Revenge was a demake of Star Castle, which the Atari 2600 wasn't capable of without external expansion. Nowadays there is at least one such homebrew that uses resources not available in the day.

Thus if anything, Mattel would've tried to implement Star Castle in its original form, to show they were one better than Atari who had to settle with demakes of the popular games.

But yes, this probably is the wrong subforum for that discussion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Lol I never had it either, but a buddy did and we used to play Yars Revenge all day, AWESOME!!!! ?

I didn't either! For me as a small youngest kid, it was Odyssey2 and Commodore 64 in the 80's ?

I saw Atari a few times at other peoples homes,

I did play a borrowed Pitfall, from my older bro when I was very small, was mesmerized by the game, and the alligators! ?

I also played my cousins Atari, liked it. E.T. was fun but confused where to take him ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1