IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

6 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

Wondering if firmware update will only be listed here or some other site as well.

Only in this thread.

5 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

One thing I notice is the cart does add some video signal noise I don't have with other carts.

I did not notice such effects, it is rather the fault of the power supply used, do you have the opportunity to try on a different type?

• Like 3

You can also try a ferrite core, around the cable, if you have one laying around.  You'll want it as close to the connector as possible.

They often look like this...

0431173951.JPG

Google for info:

The ferrite core acts as a one-turn common-mode choke, and can be effective in reducing the conducted and/or radiated emission from the cable, as well as suppressing high-frequency pick-up in the cable.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

Awesome POKEY works great.

Cart working good overall.

One thing I notice is the cart does add some video signal noise I don't have with other carts.

Try powering the DF cart on one supply and use the original 7800 PSU on the 7800 and see if that confirms the PSU being used on the DF cart as the issue or not?

Still waiting on my DF to arrive so I'm not able to do any testing of my own with this at the moment.

8 hours ago, rj1307 said:

I did not notice such effects, it is rather the fault of the power supply used, do you have the opportunity to try on a different type?

I'll try some others and see.

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

You can also try a ferrite core, around the cable, if you have one laying around.  You'll want it as close to the connector as possible.

Ok thanks, I'll order one & give it a try.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Try powering the DF cart on one supply and use the original 7800 PSU on the 7800 and see if that confirms the PSU being used on the DF cart as the issue or not?

Good idea to try if the cart doesn't have any electrical reason that could cause issues?

Edited by zezba9000

6 minutes ago, zezba9000 said:

Good idea to try if the cart doesn't have any electrical reason that could cause issues?

Far as I know, the DF does not provide any power through the cartridge port at all. I think what is being stated is that the PSU you are using for the DF cart could be introducing the noise since the power from the DF uses the side attached passthrough cable to provide power to the 7800. 

Using two separate PSUs would isolate if the power supply you are using with the DF is the possible cause or not.

My colleague @Eagle posted two files with music demos using Dual Pokey on the Polish forum. They are available for download in the attachment, designed for the PAL console.
Here are the .ogg files ripped from real hardware:

Below are oscillograms showing the audio outputs from both Pokey:

IMGP8779.thumb.jpg.97827eeb5437e1e8ea37d973c320bdab.jpg IMGP8778.thumb.jpg.fb6e73026a13bf275610868620ed2a02.jpg

And here is the signal to switch to the second Pokey:
IMGP8781.thumb.jpg.9c4b91048b99f1b049c815456967482a.jpg

Outrun.a78 acidjazzed.a78

Edited by rj1307
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys have got to stop leaving us NTSC folks out of the fun?! I'm not able to listen to any of these I assume due them lacking the encryption key needed for stock BIOS NTSC 7800s?

BTW... anyone with an NTSC 7800 and DF cart actually able to get Santa Simon to work? It just crashed on my 7800s here? Might be the same reason but I thought that game had been coded for both systems?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

I will give this a try a bit later. BTW if you don't mind, I've been using a hex editor to add in the music titles under your copyright so that it appears on the DF screen. I do this since the actual files are limited to the old 8.3 format when selecting them on the menus through the cart. But once loaded, it will show title information on the screen. 

KEEP THEM COMING! I'm going to make a separate 2POKE folder on mine to store these in.

11 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Video isn't working.

Yeap, i removed the vid and just replaced it with the actual wav file instead from the vid. Nothing to really see anyway aside from a yellow bar across the screen when it plays.

• Like 1