IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

On 4/30/2023 at 1:59 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Can a Concerto + CEM#1 run a 1mb or similar ROM (Does the memory combine?)

The memory can combine and the entire 1mb (technically, 1mb + 32k) can theoretically be used and you can switch between the 544k on CEM #1 and the 512k on Concerto, but each would have distinct mappers. However, one feature of the CEM devices is a hardware translation layer to enhance Concerto's functionality. I will take a look at it to see if it can translate a strict Atari-style 1mb mapper to work with the two banks of memory with their own mappers. So we will say "maybe" at this point.

But I want to point out that because a design goal of CEM #1 is to double as a standalone cart, anything larger than 544k would need both devices inserted. A CEM #1 running on its own would cap at 544k which is the amount of memory on the CEM #1 itself.

Regardless, I think there are only a couple of demos that use a 1mb Atari-style mapper? The demos I am aware of (a digitized song and Bad Apple) can probably be modified to work with a different mapper, in the worst case.

That being said, CEM #2 is being designed to handle all current mappers including 1mb Atari-style and larger, on the CEM #2 device itself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 6:34 PM, gambler172 said:

then count me in for one 👍

Well, I should clarify - the normal CEM devices will run equally well on all production, pre-production, and the original 2015-2016 purple-PCB Concerto carts if it has been upgraded - recall that in 2020 I offered to replace a chip on the board of all older carts. Among other things, this chip would allow support POKEY at $0450.

If you don't have the upgrade, the normal CEM will still function but the POKEY at $0450 will still not work.

Not everyone sent their older Concerto back for upgrades, particularly if they were overseas. However, it looks like with a few small changes, a custom version of the CEM devices may work with these non-upgraded 2016 Concertos to give them the POKEY support at $0450 without having to replace any chips. I'll look into this shortly and post an update on this - as even though there are not a ton of non-upgraded 2015-2016 Concertos out there, I want to be sure they get all of the features.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, batari said:

Well, I should clarify - the normal CEM devices will run equally well on all production, pre-production, and the original 2015-2016 purple-PCB Concerto carts if it has been upgraded - recall that in 2020 I offered to replace a chip on the board of all older carts. Among other things, this chip would allow support POKEY at $0450.

If you don't have the upgrade, the normal CEM will still function but the POKEY at $0450 will still not work.

Not everyone sent their older Concerto back for upgrades, particularly if they were overseas. However, it looks like with a few small changes, a custom version of the CEM devices may work with these non-upgraded 2016 Concertos to give them the POKEY support at $0450 without having to replace any chips. I'll look into this shortly and post an update on this - as even though there are not a ton of non-upgraded 2015-2016 Concertos out there, I want to be sure they get all of the features.

OK, I can confirm that a CEM with a slightly modified hardware program *does* work with the older, non-upgraded purple PCB Concertos to gives them the same features as with a newer Concerto, including the improved POKEY at $0450 (and $0800) support. So those with these older Concertos will need to specify that they want these specially-programed CEMs.

• Like 4

There's a lot of info to digest here. As someone who has no technical background, but knows just enough to be dangerous, I'd like to ask: can someone sum up very simply if this is something I would want to have for any particular reason? I bought my Concerto several months ago, and aside from my 7800 not booting it up from time to time (most likely the 7800's issue - even after the UAV mod @-^CrossBow^- installed for me, it does give me the occasional issue when booting a game, but not enough to be considered a serious issue), it's worked really well.

Out of curiosity, how well do an HSC and AtariVox+ coexist when connected to the same system at the same time?  It seems to my mind as though there shouldn't be any issues, but not having any flavour of HSC it's not something I can test - and since the CEM #0 will be adding HSC support, it'd be good to know in advance.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Out of curiosity, how well do an HSC and AtariVox+ coexist when connected to the same system at the same time?  It seems to my mind as though there shouldn't be any issues, but not having any flavour of HSC it's not something I can test - and since the CEM #0 will be adding HSC support, it'd be good to know in advance.

I thought I had replied to this message but maybe I forgot to press send!

Anyway, the HSC and AtariVOX use distinct and non-overlapping ways to store data, so they can be used together without any issues.

• Like 3

Just confirming that my CEM #0 arrived today (technically yesterday, since it's now past midnight ;) ).  The Concerto's firmware update went without a hitch and it is recognising the CEM.

Initial impressions are that no regressions have been immediately found, and both 2600 and 7800 compatibility look to be at least on par with the standalone Concerto.  HSC compatibility looks to be good, though has not been extensively tested.

Testing has not been done in any sort of organised way yet, so I'll update over the next few days as I get a chance to shape it.

Thanks to @batari for the module ;-)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Wait, what? Did I miss ordering information? 

I believe @batari stated in his mention of the modules that CEM#0 is essentially ready now and you only need to contact him and pay for shipping to receive one? I had meant to do that as well but just got sidetracked so I hadn't requested one yet.

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I believe @batari stated in his mention of the modules that CEM#0 is essentially ready now and you only need to contact him and pay for shipping to receive one? I had meant to do that as well but just got sidetracked so I hadn't requested one yet.

I looked back in the thread and didn’t read it that way. Maybe I’m wrong? I don’t want to bombard anyone with unwanted messages.

@batari - can you clarify? I’d love to buy one but don’t want to spam your email or PMs with dumb requests. If you’re sending out emails to prior Concerto buyers in some kind of sequence, that’s fine - I’m happy to wait. :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...