IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

I always set a maximum I'm prepared to pay (ok, sometimes I go a little over), but if you don't get what you want,

just wait, I was after an 800XL probably for over a year and finally got one for £68 on Ebay. Really nice clean

machine with original PSU and a "BASIC CART" ??? (with an 800XL), still can't decide what upgrades for it.

On 12/28/2022 at 3:15 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my dubious honour to present to you the bargain of the century.  For a mere $38,000 you can be the privileged owner of not one, but two 2600 Jr. consoles.  They even include their original boxes, in varying degrees of decrepitude.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185692732871

I should have hired that guy to sell my VCSjr. on commission. Even at 25% and discounting for lack of box and accessories and a crack in the case he should have earned me more than the 20€ I managed to sell it for (and that sale took quite some convincing). 

• Like 2

How can you have the balls to ask that much for 'untested' software, FFS, either it works or it's useless.. If you are going to sell software, have the decency to get a machine to test stuff on. Or does he know it's stuffed..

Mind you, his name is Crooks...Just saying..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Untested, but he does say "Mega Rare" so it must be worth it :)

lol, So not just rare, but MEGA rare...How big can these claims start to be.

Super batshit, fecking, never to be found, rarer than rocking horse shit, megatastic rare...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

How can you have the balls to ask that much for 'untested' software, FFS, either it works or it's useless.. If you are going to sell software, have the decency to get a machine to test stuff on. Or does he know it's stuffed..

IMHO most software I've bought on ebay has worked. Of course I didn't pay the $$$ like what he's asking of course. I've tended to give the benefit of the doubt. And if something looks nice and complete it probably is working.

And if it didn't work I might not be too concerned. I'd just re-write the disk. I messed up a rare original some 10 years ago, but re-made it with an image from the internet. All was well again.

• Like 2

Some software companies are highly collectible and tend to fetch higher prices. SSI being one of those with high price tags. Also, more serious games, like strategy, wargames, rpg also bring the prices up. Those are the only computer games that I play on retro computer. Action oriented games I play on Mame or emulated consoles.

18 hours ago, blacka013 said:

Typhoon tastic sounds good.

All's well thank you. How are you and yours?

All good thank you, and apols for getting the aircraft wrong, should have said, Vulcan or Avro Vulcan to be exact..

Also, "It's Vulcan tastic" works better :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

? shortage is for new chips and those are MT 's  blech  :)

True, but a shortage of new items makes the value of used ones go up as well. Look at the new car market since so few cars have been making it to dealer's lots. There's a shortage of new cars to buy, so that has everyone hanging onto their older cars for longer, and has negatively impacted the price of maintenance and spare parts and if you go to buy a used car, their prices have gone up as well. The same goes for RAM chips I guess. Of course, I'm not sure there were all that many people making new 4264s, but still.

Also, I certainly wouldn't want those MTs at any price, but if you're selling something, there comes a point that it doesn't matter what you're selling or what anyone else feels the item is worth, there is a bottom end price. For me, that price would probably be $10 plus whatever actual shipping charges were, regardless of what the item is or what anyone else felt it was worth. Otherwise, it isn't worth my time to pack something up and take it to the post office or UPS or wherever. So, it's either that, or I send it to the landfill. Personally, I'd have probably trashed a bunch of MT RAM and not even tried to sell it, but obviously I'm not everyone else. It looks like this person's bottom price is £5.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

Also, I certainly wouldn't want those MTs at any price,

On MT chips.. I'm pretty sure those 6264s were the only unreliable (and short lived) chips MT made back then. Seems their other stuff is on par with the rest of the industry.

I wouldn't mind picking up a few of them. For authenticity if I ever need to do more RAM replacements on my //e machines. So far I've gotten a handful of motherboards and 6 out of the 8 had bad MT. Though one could argue a repair makes something "less authentic". IDK with proper notes and documentation it's all good in my book. I'm generally not a datecode chaser. It's nice to match, but not required.

I still have a reseet from Compu-Shop's service department. I had an Apple II+ that was crashing on select Applesoft BASIC proggies and they diagnosed it as a bad RAM chip. Cost me $150. This was before I knew how to use diagnostics and way way before I developed experience repairing micros.

Yes. I also have a bottom line. It changes with my mood and how much it inconveniences me. Sometimes I'll mail stuff for free. Other times you're paying me to charge my car and by the clock (in 15 minute increments).

28 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Methinks they have a shrink wrap machine, as almost all of their shop stuff is sealed.. Seriously gonzo prices too...

Think ya right. 

Still everyone knows shrink wrapping items increases their value exponentially!! 

Case in point cucumber on left worth £100, one on right worth 89p ;) :

cucmber.jpeg

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

As it happens, I think it was wrapped, possibly the reference manual as well..Soo long ago...

As for that person's gear, seriously, I like Rambo for a bit of old popcorn time, but who is going to pay 408.51 (where do they get these numbers from? 51c why??) for a 1988 VHS of Rambo II, who cares if it's sealed... it's just madness.

Edited by Mclaneinc

On 12/27/2022 at 9:15 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my dubious honour to present to you the bargain of the century.  For a mere $38,000 you can be the privileged owner of not one, but two 2600 Jr. consoles.  They even include their original boxes, in varying degrees of decrepitude.

The savvy and discerning collector will recognise this for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that it truly is.  Short-rainbow consoles are the most prestigious that Atari ever produced, and were reserved for European royalty, oil sheikhs, and anyone else with $49.99 to spend.  A rarefied and select group, to be sure - and now, for only just under the average cost of a new car, you too can be a part of it, twice over.  Be the envy of your friends, family, neighbours, and paint-huffers everywhere.

He reduced the price to a mere $25,000 with free shipping!

Since it looks like he may be willing to make a deal, I decided to raise my previous offer and sent him an offer for $51.00.    🙂

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4