IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

Yes it is, although the only 2 hopes of me passing those on are : Bob Hope and No Hope..

I remember seeing a thing on Instagram or similar where a young woman was so excited about getting her first credit card that she took a picture of it and posted it. Straight away an enterprising person (make that, criminal) posted back saying it was a nice looking card, what was the back like, she duly pictured the cards back with the security number. Cue (far too late) a torrent of people telling her to cancel the card.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, is it me or is the imagery used in this seller's 800XL casing listings somewhat heavy on the high brightness/contrast levels? If it were on the one photo I wouldn't have thought too much about it. But all of them are the same.. It's almost as if they are trying to give the illusion there is no yellowing of the case present. If that is the case... Hmm mm!! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144831149375

image.png.bcfdb8ed3f9f19aea49af8ef070d3200.png

I may well be wrong here but in my opinion this isn't particularly cool. If it's yellowing then say so. Most buyers expect yellowing as a given considering the age of these things. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

Last month I bought a manual for software. Considering everything it was almost right-priced at $28 delivered. A little high IMHO but not deal breaking high. Now I see the same manual posted again, by the same seller, for $120!! So I suppose this illustrates that people just automatically pick a price and see what happens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Hmmm, is it me or is the imagery used in this seller's 800XL casing listings somewhat heavy on the high brightness/contrast levels? If it were on the one photo I wouldn't have thought too much about it. But all of them are the same.. It's almost as if they are trying to give the illusion there is no yellowing of the case present. If that is the case... Hmm mm!! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144831149375

image.png.bcfdb8ed3f9f19aea49af8ef070d3200.png

I may well be wrong here but in my opinion this isn't particularly cool. If it's yellowing then say so. Most buyers expect yellowing as a given considering the age of these things. 

Atari Giant again, not shy on their prices are they? and that's only for the top half of the case *gulp*

37 minutes ago, mimo said:

Atari Giant again, not shy on their prices are they? and that's only for the top half of the case *gulp*

Yup. They tout themselves as a trusted Atari seller and to be fair it seems they have 100% ratings and lots of Atari items. For me it's the generally high prices, (£100 for an XL keyboard(?!)), and also some contradictory pricing (eg two x listings with the same new/modern replacement 800 PSU  - one at £36 odd the other at £88), coupled with seemingly obvious tricks with images like above that raises an eyebrow. I know as a seller you have to cover the Ebay fees but still...

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my dubious honour to present to you the bargain of the century.  For a mere $38,000 you can be the privileged owner of not one, but two 2600 Jr. consoles.  They even include their original boxes, in varying degrees of decrepitude.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185692732871

The savvy and discerning collector will recognise this for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that it truly is.  Short-rainbow consoles are the most prestigious that Atari ever produced, and were reserved for European royalty, oil sheikhs, and anyone else with $49.99 to spend.  A rarefied and select group, to be sure - and now, for only just under the average cost of a new car, you too can be a part of it, twice over.  Be the envy of your friends, family, neighbours, and paint-huffers everywhere.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my dubious honour to present the bargain of the century: for a mere $38,000 you can be the enviable owner of not one, but two 2600 Jr. consoles.  They even include their original boxes, in varying degrees of decrepitude.

The savvy and discerning collector will recognise this for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that it truly is.  Short-rainbow consoles are the most prestigious that Atari ever produced, and were reserved for European royalty, oil sheikhs, and anyone else with $49.99 to spend.  A rarefied and select group, to be sure - and now, for only just under the average cost of a new car, you too can be a part of it, twice over.

You forgot the best part of the deal.  Shipping is free!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my dubious honour to present to you the bargain of the century.  For a mere $38,000 you can be the privileged owner of not one, but two 2600 Jr. consoles.  They even include their original boxes, in varying degrees of decrepitude.

The savvy and discerning collector will recognise this for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that it truly is.  Short-rainbow consoles are the most prestigious that Atari ever produced, and were reserved for European royalty, oil sheikhs, and anyone else with $49.99 to spend.  A rarefied and select group, to be sure - and now, for only just under the average cost of a new car, you too can be a part of it, twice over.  Be the envy of your friends, family, neighbours, and paint-huffers everywhere.

I sent an offer for $50.  The seller wasn't interested for some reason.   🙂

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Bargain of the year!!  He's open to offers but you gotta keep it close..."

I accept most reasonable offers but I always expect close to the listed prices listed on all of my items."

Crazy!!

• Haha 3

On 11/28/2022 at 1:20 PM, Keatah said:

IMHO there needs to be some "procedure" in place where community members can contribute (like a mini-gofundme) to a pot. And once it reaches a set value it's used to purchase things on ebay or elsewhere. Then the purchased item is scanned and archived. And when done, the item is given away in a raffle to all who contributed. See a rare manual, everybody pitches in a dollar or two. Then it's scanned for all to enjoy! Has that ever been done before?

Because. Yes. Way way too many times does something show up on auction, then it disappears to never be seen again. Ever.

What would be nice is particular tools to be figured out for doing some of the archiving, and having this wiki/procedure documented for all the old platforms.  Like I have a bunch of Coleco Adam tapes that came with a bundle of broken hardware that I'd like to take from tape to image on the Fujinet, but I have no clue how to actually do so...

I also have an English version of the Atari PC4 manuals that I can't seem to find elsewhere on the internet that I'd like to scan into a PDF, but my one attempt so far with a page scanner that I bought, was less than ideal.  I was literally looking for a while on something I could use to literally just recreate the thing as a PDF, but didn't like the results so far from Word or LibreOffice Writer.  Maybe I should try Calamus SL 2015...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

Has anyone noticed that 800XLs are now in the 1200XL price range, and 600XLs are asking for 800XL prices?   I know the 600XL is jealous but man, come on.

Yeah.  It seems the best deals are really hard to find and involve non-functional Atari's.  My 130XE, non-functional and with shipping, was about $95.  (I think the water-damaged box and rusted RF switch box scared people away.)  I also picked up a mint condition Atari 800XL, that was non-functional, for about $70 on a buy-it-now.  (The seller claimed it was DOA when purchased and he couldn't return it because the store closed soon after purchase.)

The 800XL had a bad delay line and the 130XE had a bad power switch.

• Haha 1

Stupid prices have always been a thing.  I wish I could say it's getting worse but I'm not sure that's the case.

Regarding the comment about yellowing above, sometimes it doesn't show up very well in photos through no fault of the seller.  I've had this problem many times with paper based items that were significantly more yellowed in person than they appeared in photos.

I don't think anyone really pay these prices. Just people trying to jack the market up, just like the idiots that started grading this stuff all being in cahoots to turn it into a high priced industry thing. The locusts move on once they've cashed out enough. Then rinse repeat for whatever is next that can be exploited.