IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Still, people are buying these, so whadda I know! ;)

We obviously aren't devious enough to think this sort of thing up, just hate people like this.

Like you implied, "DUH I don't know how to copy files onto an SD card, I know I'll line someone's pocket who really knows and provides a needed service"

Edited by TGB1718
  • Haha 2

EBay isn't YouTube where you can post information to the contrary, so these people are trading on a little knowlege to enrich themselves.  If people that buy retro computers know about AtariAge or other forums they could ask questions and get answers.

It's a shame that people can take advantage of ignorance, but if you are ignorant and you don't seek to educate yourself it's your own fault when someone profits off you.  Sounds harsh, but I can't roam the internet shouting Hear Ye! Hear Ye!  Attend AtariAge for great wisdom!

39 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Hahahaha, did you see the shipping?  Omg, the description is just as hilarious.

Edited by leech
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, leech said:

Hahahaha, did you see the shipping?  Omg, the description is just as hilarious.

Yeah!  There was a point in that description,  probably where it said, "Forget Food!! Forget Gas! Buy this book you Dumpy Mongoloid!" (in all caps no less)...That I decided, (mildly offensive or not) I better share this with AtariAge!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

That's hilarious. For that price, I'll take two; just in case I want to read it twice.

Even funnier. I could walk to their house from mine to pick it up and save the $666 in shipping. 

EDIT: Yeah, I'll just pay the shipping cost.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

That's hilarious. For that price, I'll take two; just in case I want to read it twice.

Even funnier. I could walk to their house from mine to pick it up and save the $666 in shipping. 

EDIT: Yeah, I'll just pay the shipping cost.

You can afford 2 of'em?  I'm pretty sure I top out at about 1 and a half!

I see you read the "fine print" on local pickups, LOL...Did you see they even filled in part of the Item Specifics at the top?  (Jesus Christ is listed as the author of the book, for instance...)...

not Atari related, but key cap related.  I actually bought a TI-99/4a for cheap - working w/power supply, parsec, joysticks and speech synthesizer for $60.

but, missing two keycaps.  So, in my position as a non-TI collector generally, I don't have parts in my collection, getting a new keyboard is out of the question, cheapest for sale is $80. I could get another TI, just for parts, and spend $40, but I don't want a lot of parts, it becomes a task later to get rid of them.

or buy 3d printed keycaps, or buy Atari 800 keycaps which the original 800 appears to match the keycap stems of this machine.  But - they of course wouldn't have the correct printing on them.   I'll probably go with 3d printed blanks, and put a sticker on them. it'll cost me $20 or so, still, seemingly the least expensive option.

all this just to sell the machine for a loss.  I find buying other platforms is not usually a great idea for me, because I don't even finish my Atari projects, why would it make sense to start a new project on an entirely new platform, but in my mind, in the moment I make the purchase, it's a fantastic idea.

• Haha 1

I once had a TI keyboard that I bought from Radio Shack but it went with all my Atari stuff back in the day.  If you can find the guy I gave it to, maybe he'll part with it.

I was given an Atari 5200 with no games, controllers, or even a power supply.  I was thinking about harvesting the chips from it, but was talked into fixing it to see if I'd enjoy it.  I since spent way more than the machine is worth to get a good set of games, controllers, and upgrades for them and the power supply and RF device to use it.  I decided that I don't like the 5200 or it's controllers, so I'll probably sell it for less than I spent to fix it up. Wanna swap it for the TI?  LOL!

On 1/15/2024 at 8:59 AM, Beeblebrox said:

I may have mentioned this before, but there are several sellers on Ebay in the US and UK, Europe, who do this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335210447788?

Atari 800 XL XE -- SD card for the SIO2SD disk drive emulator also SIO2PC ROMs

Atari 800 XL XE -- SD card for the SIO2SD disk drive emulator also SIO2PC ROMs - Picture 1 of 6

Essentially all they do take a dirt cheap and easily sourced (often crappy), Sdcard, then save free/easily obtainable public domain softwares for said devices to the card. They then sell these for various devices (such as SIO2SD or Sdrive max), for what is IMHO an extortionate amount of money!! Worse - postage costs on top! 😜

You can buy Sio2SD units over here in the UK for £25. These sellers are selling these cheap cards and free software for pretty much the same amount again.

I once contacted one of these sellers asking why they charged so much for what is free software on a very low cost medium. They came back saying it was there time spent doing it, and because some people don't know how to find such things, so as such they are providing a service.

I think as these are devices for retro machines, where most people are savvy enough to be able to source these things in the first place, I am not convinced with this argument. 

Still, people are buying these, so whadda I know! ;)

On 1/15/2024 at 10:15 AM, TGB1718 said:

We obviously aren't devious enough to think this sort of thing up, just hate people like this.

Like you implied, "DUH I don't know how to copy files onto an SD card, I know I'll line someone's pocket who really knows and provides a needed service"

In general that's even one thing, someone like me without the time/knowhow to do that kind of thing might throw another who does a few bucks.  At least in that case the seller has some time into the thing.

7 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

Brand new sealed 5200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116041469581

Only $14,999.   I like the 5200 but I don't think a sealed 2 port 5200 is worth that much.  What is a good price for a 5200 these days?  I saw a listing on ebay for a complete 4 port system setup with 9 games for $269.97.  That seems pretty good actually.

What they can't list on that is that it includes the maps to the lost Amber Room where the controllers are supposed to be stashed.  😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rockymin said:

Brand new sealed 5200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116041469581

Only $14,999.   I like the 5200 but I don't think a sealed 2 port 5200 is worth that much.  What is a good price for a 5200 these days?  I saw a listing on ebay for a complete 4 port system setup with 9 games for $269.97.  That seems pretty good actually.

He's charging that much because it's graded. I don't care what grade it comes back as, I'm not paying 15 grand for a 5200. 💲

• Like 1

I don't know about crazy, but some people are really stupid, I was watching a Raspberry Pi 5 8GB starter kit,

it's available on the Pi store for £115, the item sold on Ebay for £172 (I wasn't the buyer :) )

Edited by TGB1718
  • Haha 2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225973428434

Well, while certainly not an Atari, ebay reports an Apple II Plus just sold for $150 plus shipping.  It was reported to have powered on but was missing a key cap.  It looked complete (other than the key cap).  Included were cards and shipping was $28 and some change.

I just offered the seller, for this one, $150 and he declined.  There are no cards, a missing power light, a missing memory chip, and it doesn't power on.  I guess he's going to hold out for a better offer....and somebody will probably bite.   lol

Edited by reifsnyderb

I wish Ebay would block scalpers. (I do understand the undertaking that would require). Same case with the limited run of Shantae Pirate's Curse for 3DS this morning. I sadly missed out on getting a copy. Already, scalpers had listings on Ebay. If they have an opportunity I guess. I don't understand publishers either sometimes. There were very limited copies of these cartridges - so maybe only allow one sale per customer, instead it was unlimited purchase amount. So of course scalpers grab as many copies as possible and true fans fail to legitimately secure a copy - having to either pay extra hard earned cash to these scum for nothing, or hope to acquire the game at some later date somehow.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tamerlane said:

That's almost £200! For something, you can get for £99.99 on Amazon (plus free shipping). 🤧🤧🤧

And he's got 10 to sell.  Does Atari take returns on stuff like this?  He may end up screwing himself, haha.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:14 PM, Rockymin said:

And he's got 10 to sell.  Does Atari take returns on stuff like this?  He may end up screwing himself, haha.

Fingers crossed

• Like 2