IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

Atari's finally doing it after an initial rollout that caused some issues: They are offering the full 10 box set of the Atari 50th XP releases in the 50th presentation boxes, for $1000, limited to 100 purchases. https://atari.com/products/atari-50-limited-edition-complete-set-of-10

Brief history: When the Atari XP line rolled out, it began with three unreleased prototypes (Yar's Return, Aquaventure, Saboteur). They then released Adventure and Missile Command as regular XP carts, "sold out" of them, then announced that anyone who purchased all ten in the XP line would get the killer display, but by that point it was too late for anyone who missed the first 2. The rest of the XP line appears to have sold poorly as a result, since most folk would never get the complete set. But now they're offering it as a whole at the end. Word from the Atari Discord is shipping in March, but we'll see.

Atari®
For the first time ever, Atari is offering a complete set of ten 50th Anniversary Atari XP cartridges, available exclusively on Atari.com. The set includes Centipede, Asteroids, Super Breakout, Warlords, Yars’ Revenge, Gravitar, Haunted House, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Adventure, and is made with high-quality m
Atari XP 50th Anniversary: Limited Edition Set of 10

Latest word on delivery from the Atari XP Discord: biabee — 01/11/2023 4:39 PM All remaining 8 cartridges will be shipped at the same time in a few months I don't have a set date beyond that But I think that all of them coming out soon is good news
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kheller2 said:

Hah, you beat me by 50 minutes to posting.   I can't believe this is $1000.   

Wow... $1000?!

I can think of so many other things I'd rather spend $1000 on. Like... 50 pizzas.

Maybe if these were new games (not in a million years - Atari is a logo and a handful of IPs, not a developer)... but even so - it takes a lot of Audacity to ask for that kind of money. :ponder: ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

The general public would like to disagree.  Sold out already.

Looks like a lot of speculators on eBay based on the new listings. I'd be surprised if most make much, if any, of a profit, but nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

Regardless, it's arguable whether or not it's a good way for Atari to get rid of/repackage unsold stock - assuming this wasn't a new, small production run - since it might have done more marketing harm than good considering the negative buzz and likely sub-$50k profit to get said negative buzz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only four up so far by what looks to be a singular eBay flipper.

Say what you want on the price, the thing's gonna be sweet. The carts really do look nice, based on the earlier releases, and the included bits are nice, too. Gonna be an amazing thing to play with, but also an amazing shelf centerpiece. No one needs to pay money to play these games in 2023, but I think if you were starting fresh and looking to buy all ten in nice original boxes sealed you'd probably not be as far off of a grand as you'd think. I want to do an experiment on it myself just for fun, but I bet it'd cost at least $500 on eBay if your goal was to buy the lot today, and probably higher. You can argue rightly probably that a pristine old stock box should be worth more than these, but even so, to get a nice original set that'd look great like this one you are paying for it. 

• Like 1

I just have the feeling that the grand idea in this company buying the Atari property was an interest in selling the name on scarcely functional pieces of plastic to collectors for a bazillion times the cost to manufacture.  I'm surprised this one is limited to 100...why not 10,000 while you're making such a massive profit?  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

I just have the feeling that the grand idea in this company buying the Atari property was an interest in selling the name on scarcely functional pieces of plastic to collectors for a bazillion times the cost to manufacture.  I'm surprised this one is limited to 100...why not 10,000 while you're making such a massive profit?  

i'm sure there will be more.

maybe this is series 1.

still, overall, an interesting collection and presentation.

later

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 4:26 PM, Mockduck said:
Atari's finally doing it after an initial rollout that caused some issues: They are offering the full 10 box set of the Atari 50th XP releases in the 50th presentation boxes, for $1000, limited to 100 purchases. https://atari.com/products/atari-50-limited-edition-complete-set-of-10

Brief history: When the Atari XP line rolled out, it began with three unreleased prototypes (Yar's Return, Aquaventure, Saboteur). They then released Adventure and Missile Command as regular XP carts, "sold out" of them, then announced that anyone who purchased all ten in the XP line would get the killer display, but by that point it was too late for anyone who missed the first 2. The rest of the XP line appears to have sold poorly as a result, since most folk would never get the complete set. But now they're offering it as a whole at the end. Word from the Atari Discord is shipping in March, but we'll see.

Atari®
For the first time ever, Atari is offering a complete set of ten 50th Anniversary Atari XP cartridges, available exclusively on Atari.com. The set includes Centipede, Asteroids, Super Breakout, Warlords, Yars’ Revenge, Gravitar, Haunted House, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Adventure, and is made with high-quality m
Atari XP 50th Anniversary: Limited Edition Set of 10

Latest word on delivery from the Atari XP Discord: biabee — 01/11/2023 4:39 PM All remaining 8 cartridges will be shipped at the same time in a few months I don't have a set date beyond that But I think that all of them coming out soon is good news

They all sold-out in a few days', so...

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

A fool and his money...

I agree in a way.

I think that ATARI XP should release completed/unreleased games, enhanced/remasters, and new games across all ATARI legacy consoles.

The only game ATARI have put out that had anything added to it was Yars' Return.

Maybe ATARI are just testing the water with the trusty old 2600.

The current games, Yars' Return nonwithstanding, are clearly shiny shelve-pieces for those with too much money.

The A50 set was not released in standard editions because they're common games.

They do look great though.

Gravitar's box/cart is superb.

The 7800 and Jaguar are formats ATARI should certainly consider for ATARI XP as the standard of games being made for them is so high.

They could remaster their 7800 games such as Dark Chambers with a graphics hack and Pokey audio added, maybe even extra content alongside the original game.

The could even try and acquire the rights to the Midnight Mutants game, change Grandpa, add Pokey audio and enhance the graphics, and release that through ATARI XP.

It'll be interesting to see what ATARI XP does next though.