IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

5 minutes ago, Gunther said:

https://www.destructoid.com/atari-ceo-wade-rosen-talks-preservation-web3-and-the-future-of-retro/

“Our Atari XP cartridge business started off small and experimental, and the reception has been quite positive. There is a demand for the simplicity and skill-gating of retro hardware and software. As a result, we’re exploring ways to bring more cartridges to market, and to make it easier to play those cartridges. Stay tuned.”

Atari should remake the "one chip" and produce an HDMI 2600 console.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gunther said:

There is a demand for the simplicity and skill-gating of retro hardware and software. As a result, we’re exploring ways to bring more cartridges to market, and to make it easier to play those cartridges.

Just as soon as we figure out which one is the front side and which one is the back side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Just as soon as we figure out which one is the front side and which one is the back side.

Let the hate flow through you...

At least more people will be able to buy and play all of the games made by Atari Age now.

Edited by Gunther
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Nice try, but if you're looking to bait me into an argument it's not gonna work.

I wasn't trying to bait you into a flame-war; and understandably, I can appreciate your trepidation towards my post from our previous interactions.

I agree with many of the sentiments here though.

The sprite-flicker on M.R.&.J 2600 is unnaceptable, and it's not even being sold on the VCS Store.

The fact that Alien Abduction hasn't been released on cart is also strange too.

The idea of a console to play *all* 2600 (and fingers-crossed 7800 games) from ATARI is still quite awesome though.

Edited by Gunther

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 11:07 AM, Mockduck said:

These releases are looking sooo nice. Super happy I decided to buy the set. 

Kind of wish I ordered the whole set, but $$$.  Quite happy with Yars' Return even though it took a long time and was reversed the first time.  Hoping they work their way down to the Gravitar orders soon, but if we're just seeing reviews for Warlords and Super Breakout now I'm guessing we're looking at a couple more months.

52 minutes ago, negative1 said:

crystal castles review:

later

|| | | || ||| 

ne gative 1

Your videos have been really great, even though they make me super jealous because I'm not getting shipped the set until it is complete. :( The videos have convinced me to open up these boxes, however, due to the nice artwork, cart art, LEDs and swag in them. Still, gonna be tough to crack the seal on the set, trading fun for probably two thousand bucks in theoretical/resell value.

I've mentioned this on the Atari Discord server, but thought that I'd share here too. 

As these have started to arrive, one thing I've noted is that creator credits on the boxes of the arcade ports have been to the arcade designer/programmer and not to the programmer of the 2600 carts. 

For example: 

- Missile Command is credited to Dave Theurer, and not Rob Fulop. 

- Super Breakout is credited to Ed Logg, and not Nick Turner with Carol Shaw. 

- Crystal Castles is credited to Franz Lanzinger, and not to Peter C. Niday. 

I'm assuming that Centipede, Asteroids and Gravitar will have similar issues.

While it arguably makes sense to credit the arcade originators as "creators" for these titles, not crediting the 2600 programmers is a serious oversight.  This is especially true when lack of credit and compensation led many, including Fulop, to leave Atari.

The XP Atari 50 reissues were the perfect opportunity to correct history and attribute these programmers for their amazing work. As it stands, the XP releases may serve to further muddle history. It's a real shame. 

• Like 4

On 7/15/2023 at 12:06 PM, Mockduck said:

The videos have convinced me to open up these boxes, however, due to the nice artwork, cart art, LEDs and swag in them. Still, gonna be tough to crack the seal on the set, trading fun for probably two thousand bucks in theoretical/resell value.

Is buying a second set just to keep sealed as a collector's item an option? Given sufficient time, the outlay will be justified... 

1 hour ago, jhd said:

Is buying a second set just to keep sealed as a collector's item an option? Given sufficient time, the outlay will be justified... 

Not at this point, they are all sold out! Looks like there are a few sets on eBay, but the price is more than double the initial cost. 

On 11/16/2021 at 12:54 PM, Albert said:

Correct.  Some additional information here:

..Al

Is yars return and yars recharged different games? I thought I read yars return was a fixed prototype that ended up on the 2005 flashback but I do know not everything on line is accurate and it also been a couple years since I read the article I found. 

On 7/28/2023 at 6:21 PM, nadir said:

Got notice that Asteroids and Gravitar are scheduled to be shipping pretty soon.  Good to see they keep making progress!

Speaking of which, the clue to 58A in today's NYT crossword puzzle is "Asteroids System". The answer reveals that the author is not an enthusiast, unless he thinks that 5200 "Meteroites" counts.

• Like 1