IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Proof the Amiga is the better machine (runs and takes cover).

You should!  :)

On the flip side of the coin, I've got about half a dozen of those VGA adapters, some from Centurion, some from Exxos's Online Store

and I think? one came when Ube himself was selling them (not sure about that last part).

Point being, they all work with my Dell 27" monitor and Mega STe, giving that nice (large!) crisp picture like I posted above.

Which only reinforces that old adage that an exception doesn't make a rule...  :)

9 hours ago, tuf said:

Coward!  If the Amiga ran Cubase I'd agree with you, but alas it doesn't :)

Over the years of owning both... I would say the Amiga is more interesting... from a hardware perspective.   The Atari ST is better from a 'shut up and get work done' perspective.   anything from video games to DTP to Music creation, the ST is easier to get into.  I mean this from being able to just put in a disk and it works, or copying a folder over and it will work from a hard drive.  It is just easier to work with, this is partially due to limitations of TOS/GEM, or even just the simplicity of it.

The Amiga side of things, sure there is a huge library of games that run off of floppy, but there is a range of them that require a specific Kickstarter, chipmem, etc.  Since there are so many variants of the hardware, more compatibility issues can pop up. 

Each platform have their pros and cons for sure.  Mint makes the ST just as fun from the 'muxk around with the OS level at least. 

Oh, how I wish Atari had stuck with it just one more year and given us a big box Falcon 040... that would have changed my mind..

• Like 1

I've always been an Amiga guy myself, but I have come to respect the ST line over the years. I can say I do like the fact of TOS in ROM. I never did like no WB (even a simplified version) not being on ROM. 

I also appreciate a SCSI port (or ASCI) interface being right there and available for stuff. 

And, I have seen some amazing stuff out of the STe model in particular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leech said:

Each platform have their pros and cons for sure.  Mint makes the ST just as fun from the 'muxk around with the OS level at least. 

I'm with you.  Anyone who has a real beef with either/or is just a weirdo.  STs were good at music apps, Amigas were good at video apps.  Both played games.  The Amiga is hands down the better hardware and OS.  Atari (as eightbit said) included the MIDI and hard drive ports.  Most of the wedge shaped STs had internal power supplies :)

At any rate to keep it on topic, they both work amazingly well with this monitor!

• Like 2

Atari ST guy, but was slightly disappointed coming from the 8 bit line. The ST didn't seem as immediately responsive as the 8 bit. As a BASIC user, the 8 bit basic was better and more fun. I didn't play an Amiga too much, but tried the games I loved on the ST like Defender of the Crown, Bard's Tale, and Dungeon Master years later on an emulator, but liked the ST versions better. But in the days of the ST, I also started using the legendary NES and it's iconic game library which is hard to beat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

At last I connected my Atari to mentioned Dell. I confirm too - it works OK despite vertical stripes. I recommend.

I'll try to run Freesync on PC's Hercules Graphic Card for curiosity, haha.

tOri

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of an ST2VGA adaptor with audio output that is available now for sale?

I'd like to hook this Dell SE2722H monitor up to my Mega ST in Low/Medium Resolution Mode but I need an adaptor.

Centurion and Shift838 are both showing out of stock...

https://centuriontech.eu/product/st2vga-r4/

https://www.shift838.com/store/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=9

I had an old Atari video cable that had a bad wire somewhere in the cable.  I was able to make my own video adapter and added a audio out plug too (That one was only color).  Also built one years ago with a switch that lets me do both color and mono.

Hi,

I assembled an HGC->VGA cable (similar to the one for the Atari ST Mono - Mono signal to RGBinputs and Hsync and Vsync). Unfortunately - I was unable to get sync on three cards. I'll see later on an oscilloscope if there are actually signals coming out of the graphics card. It is possible that I did something wrong although rather everything is OK. It's a bit of a pity, but mostly you can't have everything at once :)

tOri

45 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I just checked Exxos and there are 26 ST2VGA in stock

I need to order some stuff from him, but wondering if I should wait for more Falcon accelerators to be in stock...

Ha, I have been playing around with CRTs lately.  Would be nice if I could get a hold of one that was a proper multisync and just use an ST2VGA adapter.  This particular monitor is sweet, but I love 4:3 screens...

12 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

This Dell does switch between 16:9 and 4:3.

Yep.  And even though I’m generally a purist when it comes to 4:3 content being displayed on a 4:3 screen (which this Dell does beautifully), I actually like ST Medium in 16:9 on this thing.  It sort of “fixes” it to my eyes.  It always seemed like the ugly step-child of ST resolutions, with its vertically stretched icons.  In 16:9 it looks ‘normal’.

IMG_2212.jpeg

IMG_2210.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I found another monitor/television - Philips 24phh4000/88. It works great with Atari ST in all modes on VGA input with VGA switcher - Kinmami's version. With other computers I have not checked. The TV has a SCART input and HDMI inputs. It is an older TV, so I don't know if it is still available. In Poland you can still buy a used one for about $45.

tOri

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 11:01 PM, vkcpolice said:

Did you end up getting one and did it work out ok?