IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

4 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Totally understood. Just in that picture of the Ube switches that I posted, there's

something like 4 different variations. On top of that, I ordered the Centurion UK

version because it uses a sliding switch and will maintain it's resolution.

So yeah, it would probably take multiple versions of a 3D case to cover them all.

Speaking of mass storage devices (and this is way OT, so apologies) what did you

wind up doing with the internal US in your Mega STe for access? I'm still just raising

the hard drive bay to switch out SD cards but I'd like to figure out a better way. I

was going to use extenders, running them to the back of the case but I tried 4 or

5 different brands/versions and none of them will stay seated in the US - the "spring"

action pushes them back out and losing contact.

Fun fact, those same extenders work fine with the Jookie US I have in my STacy. It

doesn't do the "spring" action...

Thanks.

I haven't worked out how I was going to do it either.  I have had random luck with the extenders.  Mostly used them with the Vampires and now a MiSTer setup inside a Checkmate 1500 Mini.

Just moving the external US around to the various STs seems pretty convenient.   Kind of wish there were a SCSI/ACSI version, so I could hook it up to the Falcons as well.  With two slots, it is awesome for file transfers and setting up multiple OS setups.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a few minutes at 3am last night to try the SE2722 on an older (pre-consumer) Falcon. (More at the bottom on this).

I'd purchased 2 as the old Dell on the PC started acting up. First impression on the PC was it's average. The older Dell was "only" 24", 27" is nicer (and much lighter). FF a month to last night. Didn't even start off in VGA modes, went right to RGB to test. 

Just wow. Honestly, it was difficult to distinguish between modes (VGA vs RGB). Owned a lot of "compatible" LCD-LED used monitors in the past, the SE2722 blows them away.

With only 4mb RAM and a bad DSP SRAM on this board, was limited testing.

Used the APEX viewers for Targa files as well as ImageCopy for viewing.

In 640*400 TC, forgot was even in RGB mode, and started playing with the dither setting in ImageCopy.

Even in interlace mode, ImageCopy presents a stable image, only noticable outside the image borders.

Tested all stock Falcon video modes (sans ST High), no stability or odd syncing noticed.

Think I've read in some of the above post about vertical lines on the display.

These were evident in both VGA and RGB. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Back when Nemesis was first released, Titan (Dave, Doug and crew) were supplying all sorts of tricks and tips.

One of these was to clip out the resistors on the video output and replace them with induction wire pieces.

This Falcon came without the video load resistors. 

Been years, my Afterburner Falcon had the resistors removed at some point, and notice now (long forgotten) I'd resoldered them back in place. 

I'll move that motherboard back to the bench and retest the monitor there.

Again, have to reread the thread if someone posted a solution for the vertical lines.

Can't wait to try the Sparrow on this as well. While it's "supposed" to have compatible ST video modes, came across one setting where the NEC Multisync couldn't display the mode, and another (forgotten) monitor could. So there's an odd ball frequency there one may think (if having a Sparrow) there is no video output. It does, but if coming across the configuration, give another monitor a try as all the Sparrow video modes do work.

Images displayed in 640*400 TC mode using ImageCopy.

Dell SE display

Edited by rustynutt
Update image display

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, eightbit said:

This exactly. This one will do the job:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233834775705

So after digging out the Amiga, I forgot I already had a converter for DB23 to DB15 - but that is for the Amigas to connect to a Commodore 1942 monitor I have. 

After looking up the pinouts, they seem to look like they are the same things, even though the Commodore monitor is RGB and not VGA.  I guess that should be good?

4 minutes ago, thanatos said:

So after digging out the Amiga, I forgot I already had a converter for DB23 to DB15 - but that is for the Amigas to connect to a Commodore 1942 monitor I have. 

After looking up the pinouts, they seem to look like they are the same things, even though the Commodore monitor is RGB and not VGA.  I guess that should be good?

Are you sure that's DB15 on that 1942 monitor? AFAIK those RGB Commodore monitors are DB9 RGB.

On a side note, I would probably go with this one instead as it has some VLR (vertical line reduction) magic going on:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144618145763

The lines were very visible when using the monitor with the ST, so hopefully this adapter can eliminate those lines when used with the Amiga.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Are you sure that's DB15 on that 1942 monitor? AFAIK those RGB Commodore monitors are DB9 RGB.

I definitely can tell the difference between a VGA port and an Atari Joystick port.  :D

EDIT - Here's the two pinout guides I was comparing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector#:~:text=The VGA connector is a,15 pins in three rows.

https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=855

12 minutes ago, thanatos said:

I definitely can tell the difference between a VGA port and an Atari Joystick port.  :D

I wasn't in any way trying to say that you could not tell the difference my friend, so don't take it that way. I am guilty myself of remembering a type of connection being on something but it ending up being something else in reality....just what happens as I age I suppose. I immediately think of the rear of a 1084S when thinking of commodore monitors:

1084S (and variants) - Commodore

If the adapter or cable you have is breaking out the 23 Pin DSUB to VGA then it should be all you need. Typically with those adapters you would need some kind of a flicker fixer it order to bump the 15kHz signal to 31kHz, but as this monitor handles 15kHz already just plug it in and it should work fine. The pinouts should be correct.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, eightbit said:

On a side note, I would probably go with this one instead as it has some VLR (vertical line reduction) magic going on:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144618145763

The lines were very visible when using the monitor with the ST, so hopefully this adapter can eliminate those lines when used with the Amiga.

Ah, I wish that was available for Atari.  I can't recall, has there been any solution for the vertical lines mentioned in this thread?

On 10/23/2022 at 8:25 AM, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Ah, I wish that was available for Atari.  I can't recall, has there been any solution for the vertical lines mentioned in this thread?

I have not found one and the seller of this adapter never replied to my inquiry unfortunately. 

My 520ST has some nasty vertical lines on it's output that are kinda hidden on an ST/Commodore CRT but make it just hideous with LCD/VGA.  So I've wondered the same thing about buffering...

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Hmm, wonder if it would be worth it to buy the amiga one and crack it open to see what's going on?

I have an Amiga buffered adapter here now, and it has an SN74HCT08 on the PCB inside the shell.

2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

My 520ST has some nasty vertical lines on it's output that are kinda hidden on an ST/Commodore CRT but make it just hideous with LCD/VGA.  So I've wondered the same thing about buffering...

I have an Amiga buffered adapter here now, and it has an SN74HCT08 on the PCB inside the shell.

I think the better question is... can we create a cheap/quick/dirty adapter between the ST monitor port and the Amiga one so it can be used?

10 hours ago, Tillek said:

I think the better question is... can we create a cheap/quick/dirty adapter between the ST monitor port and the Amiga one so it can be used?

I know CenturionTech.eu make an Atari/VGA adapter.  Maybe they could integrate the SN74HCT08 to their design? 

Problem with Amiga/Atari couplers is I think the Amiga connectors are hard to find. Otherwise, a coupler wouldn't be too hard to make and then 3D print a shell.

*Edit*  Perhaps something on the VGA side would be better i.e have the SN74HCT08 inside a VGA/VGA coupler since then it could be used on any system the monitor was being used for.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, tuf said:

Get one of these: https://centuriontech.eu/product/st2vga-r4/

It'll have an audio output for speakers or whatever.

Just received the st2vga-r4 and must say I do prefer it over the Best Electronics st-vga cable.

It is very compact and includes audio jack and color/mono switch.  The Best cable is good but it is very bulky.

Thanks for the recommendation!

2 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

Does anyone have a complete list of vintage computers this monitor will work with? Would it work with a BBC Micro model B? What about 8 bit Atari computers? The Oric Atmos?

Thanks!

I am using the monitor with my Atari 130XE with VBXE.  It works well, but does suffer from the "vertical line" issue moreso than the Atari 16-bit computers I have.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I am using the monitor with my Atari 130XE with VBXE.  It works well, but does suffer from the "vertical line" issue moreso than the Atari 16-bit computers I have.

Thanks. I am looking for 1 monitor to cover all of my collection, but this monitor will at least cover my Atari STEs. I wish it played well with the 800XL