IGNORED

Jumping At Shadows - WIP Platform Game from Reboot-Games

CyranoJ

2 minutes ago, MetalKnuckles said:

Looking really good already! What can we expect in terms of difficulty? Some of us found Last Strike/Gravitic Mines too difficult to properly enjoy them. 

Aiming for: casual platform fun, not too punishing, not too easy.

There's a bunch of options in Last Strike to adjust difficulty/lives/etc.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MetalKnuckles said:

Thanks CJ, that's reassuring, I won't give it a pass then. Looking forward to the release!

Nobody is complaining about Another Worlds difficulty, strange....

But the game will have a less steep learning curve and it's not about gravity - that might help! ;-)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MetalKnuckles said:

Looking really good already! What can we expect in terms of difficulty? Some of us found Last Strike/Gravitic Mines too difficult to properly enjoy them. 

This question is a bit unfair since difficulty is very dependant on the abilities of the player, dedication and the genre of the game.

All I can say is that we respect the time of the player and that we listen to feedback form the testers.;)

Gravitic Mines is a very special genre that not everyone enjoys, Oids/Gravitar veterans and people familar with the genre are enjoying it a lot. So I guess we have succeed.

But for platformers, there might be people too that are just not good with these type of games.

Well, you can't make everyone happy, and surely I am not a fan of compromising a game too much, just to please everyone. Because the consequence of this would be that no one would be really satisfied.

So the goal is to make a platformer for gamers that love platformers and have a history of playing them.

I also might add that most games held in high regard today, challenged the player in one or another way, e.g. Another World, Dark Souls etc.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have casual mobile games that work as a distraction to kill some time between lunch and work.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 7

This is looking really nice. Wish we had such nice looking plattformers (aside of Rayman) back in the day. It's kinda cool to see this stuff coming from you guys for the Jaguar. When I stroll through the XBOX store I am always more interested in the 2D Pixel stuff like Dead Cells, Valfaris, Carrion and this looks as it could be there too. Nice to know it's on the Jaguar though.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

This question is a bit unfair since difficulty is very dependant on the abilities of the player, dedication and the genre of the game.

All I can say is that we respect the time of the player and that we listen to feedback form the testers.;)

Gravitic Mines is a very special genre that not everyone enjoys, Oids/Gravitar veterans and people familar with the genre are enjoying it a lot. So I guess we have succeed.

But for platformers, there might be people too that are just not good with these type of games.

Well, you can't make everyone happy, and surely I am not a fan of compromising a game too much, just to please everyone. Because the consequence of this would be that no one would be really satisfied.

So the goal is to make a platformer for gamers that love platformers and have a history of playing them.

I also might add that most games held in high regard today, challenged the player in one or another way, e.g. Another World, Dark Souls etc.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have casual mobile games that work as a distraction to kill some time between lunch and work.

When I act on feedback from testers, I usually feel that the game gets way to easy. When you are developing a game you get really good at playing it, because you need to in order to check the features you implemented (over and over again until it works)

As a developer it is usually a good idea to back down a little bit on the difficulty, because no other person is ready to spend the same ammount of time on the game as the developer(s).

• Like 7

Fully agree agradeneu. As you say, it is impossible to please everyone and there are many hardcore gamers out there looking for old school difficulty in a homebrew. Especially as games got too easy nowadays. I certainly would not think less of a game and all the high quality work behind it because of that. I just like to know what to expect before I decide to purchase a game, as we do not always have the possibility to wait for reviews. And I know I am the type of gamer that easily gives up if I struggle to get past level 1 after 1h!

Edited by MetalKnuckles
  • Like 5