IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration compilation will include Jaguar games

KidGameR186496

Because we have endless threads on mini Jaguars, we all know why, but anyone who last heard about Jaguar in a print magazine or a YouTube video is gonna want to know where AvP is. I'll probably buy this on VCS for the novelty of it, but it seems like the same old bag of fail new Atari always puts out in their compilations these days with some Jaguar sauce on top this time.

Edit: On second thought, I guess they have done a good job of capturing the games that did end up defining the Jaguar.

Edited by cubanismo
Second thoughts
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 1:43 AM, laymanpigeon said:

On other hand Atari Karts looks like it should have been a launch title for Jaguar all the way back in 1993 yet released in 1995.

Atari Karts looked amazing, played okay and lacked the charm and balance that Mario Kart had. It is a good game still but I still think that if Mario Kart and Atari Karts were in the same room, over a long period of time Mario Kart would get more play.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:59 AM, Gunther said:

Fight For Life, Like Virtua Fighter, isn't a button-masher.

If you put the hours in, it's a highly technical and rewarding game.

It was unfairly panned by the critics, and ATARI themselves didn't give the developer the respect he deserved.

I still like FFL and if I'm looking at it with "90's eyes" I think as a display of what the Jaguar was capable of it was impressive. Like you state, it was unfairly panned and Atari should have handled it differently.

• Like 2

At least the silver lining about this collection is the PC version, which is where people will get a kick out of the Jaguar emulator by adding new games, much like the mini systems. Although i don't rule out the possibility of said people extracting that emulator and make a PC version out of it. Hell, they could use it, the Phoenix, Virtual Jaguar and Project Tempest (a.k.a. the only one that allowed support for Jag CD games) as basis to make a new one with features from each emulator at this point. But what the heck do i know, i'm just talking out of my butt.

• Like 1

Honestly 9 games seems like a lot. And that's better representation than the atari 5200.  The whole thing seems pretty skewed to 2600 games but I'm still glad to see this coming out. 

The lynx, 5200 and 7800 selections seem a bit weird but I imagine they are carefully selected to limit the games that atari would need to negotiate new licensing arrangements for (eg even if the 7800 port of pole position or xevious was made by atari, atari would still need to do a new licensing arrangement with namco to re release those games). When it comes down to it, Ataris original IP from the tramiel era seem a little weak. Scrapyard dog, fight for life, Trevor mcfur, fatal run, they might have been somewhat notably on their respective systems for various reasons, such as being the first or the last game released, but none of these games made a splash in the game scene of their time and none of them stacked up well against similar games by competitors.

I think the 50th package will still be neat to play though. The idea of going chronologically through the timeline and playing games in order of their development and release while listening to interviews with the developers or other people involved seems like a fun concept regardless of the objective quality of the games themselves. 

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

Honestly 9 games seems like a lot. And that's better representation than the atari 5200.  The whole thing seems pretty skewed to 2600 games but I'm still glad to see this coming out. 

Given the sales numbers+cultural impact of the 2600, that's no surprise really. It is a bit of a surprise to finally see the Lynx and Jag get some love as I don't think this has ever happened under Atari SA (memory might be fuzzy there). The 5200 & 7800 have had some hat tips here and there at least.

The lynx, 5200 and 7800 selections seem a bit weird but I imagine they are carefully selected to limit the games that atari would need to negotiate new licensing arrangements for (eg even if the 7800 port of pole position or xevious was made by atari, atari would still need to do a new licensing arrangement with namco to re release those games). When it comes down to it, Ataris original IP from the tramiel era seem a little weak. Scrapyard dog, fight for life, Trevor mcfur, fatal run, they might have been somewhat notably on their respective systems for various reasons, such as being the first or the last game released,

Yeah, about 90% of the IP released from mid-84 to '96 by Atari would have to be licensed since most of it was contracted to 3rd parties. There's an IP catalog list on Atari.com where you can see that Atari owns little of the Lynx/Jag libraries. I've wondered why some stuff like Hover Strike aren't on there though, as I thought that one was all done in-house. Or perhaps HS was included with BattleZone to Rebellion?

but none of these games made a splash in the game scene of their time and none of them stacked up well against similar games by competitors.

I do wonder how any normal gamer who just knows the 2600 will react to some of these games like Club Drive (or even try them). Sadly, it very well might reinforce the negative perceptions surrounding the Jag, although I get that licensing stuff like AvP, Doom, Wolf 3D would have cost too much. Still, some of this IP is so old and forgotten, it couldn't cost that much to license, would it? Some better showcase stuff like Super Burnout or even license BattleMorph from Carl?  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Here's the full list for the compilation. Only 9 Jaguar games made it in...

https://www.player2gamestore.nl/a-74842785/pre-orders/ps4-atari-50-the-anniversary-collection-pre-order/

1) Atari Karts

2) Club Drive

3) Cybermorph

4) Evolution Dino Dudes

5) Fight For Life

6) Missile Command 3D

7) Ruiner Pinball

8 )  Tempest 2000

9) Trevor McFur In The Crescent Galaxy

Ruiner is an odd choice. 

Well I guess not really. I keep thinking HVS owns that.

If they are smoothly emulating those games that's probably a pretty good sign they got the emulator pretty well dialed in more than any other Jaguar emulator has ever been.

Wonder if the rest will be available via pay for play.

Or maybe a modified licensed play thru the internet Battlesphere.

I think that is what Atari should try to do for the VCS. Get games like an updated version of Battlesphere done by Scatologic for that system. An updated version of Impulse X etc. 

Get the license and do an updated version of C64/Lynx ALIEN.

Edited by JagChris
God%&$# autocorrect
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JagChris said:

I think that is what Atari should try to do for the VCS. Get games like an updated version of Battlesphere done by Scatologic for that system. An updated version of Impulse X etc. 

Get the license and do an updated version of C64/Lynx ALIEN.

The only issue with trying to do an updated version of the cult classic C64 Aluen game is, it's kind of already been done via the DLC for Alien Isolation 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I preordered my copy last night on PS4. 

I need Tempest 2000 back in my life, as 4000 has just left me cold. 

I got on OK with Cybermorph at the time, curiosity has me wanting to try out Missile Command 3D and retry 

Trevor McFur In The Crescent Galaxy. 

I love Dino Dudes music. 

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Well, I preordered my copy last night on PS4. 

I need Tempest 2000 back in my life, as 4000 has just left me cold. 

I got on OK with Cybermorph at the time, curiosity has me wanting to try out Missile Command 3D and retry 

Trevor McFur In The Crescent Galaxy. 

I love Dino Dudes music. 

If there's one thing about The Humans is that no matter the version, it always featured good music, but the Jaguar renditions are the ones i like the most.

9 hours ago, JagChris said:

Digital Eclipse and probably Mike Mika will be at the PRGE this weekend. 

For those of you not going what would you like those of us who are going to ask them? 

Do you guys have plans to make the Jaguar emulator that was written for the collection publically available online?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Do you guys have plans to make the Jaguar emulator that was written for the collection publically available online?

I would doubt this. If they plan on making more games available to buy through this package releasing it to the public would ruin that.

Edited by JagChris

On 10/12/2022 at 7:31 AM, KidGameR186496 said:
On 10/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, JagChris said:

Digital Eclipse and probably Mike Mika will be at the PRGE this weekend. 

For those of you not going what would you like those of us who are going to ask them? 

Is the emulator really 64-bits, or is it two 32-bit emulators running in parallel?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1