IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration compilation will include Jaguar games

KidGameR186496

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

I don't know. He's on Twitter. 

Though no luck on my end getting responses that way. He doesn't respond to me. Or Scatologic. Or most anybody on Twitter.

Except @Jag64 

Mike Mika absolutely loves that guy. Huge bromance.

A very small group of people actually like my ridiculous sense of humor. Mike's in that minority, I guess. Don't hold that against him. 😁

Edited by Jag64
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DavidD said:

Hmm... what I find interesting is that Mika appears to have implied that there are future plans for more titles being added to Atari 50.

More 800/XL/XE titles, Lynx titles, and Jaguar titles would be nice.  Who owns the remains of Epyx these days?

They can be added to Atari 50 or they can be stand alone. Like they are doing with this NES release.

6 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

I don't suppose there's any chance of Mike joining here and being able to answer sensible, polite questions directly is there? 

I guess Atari is the right one to ask. DE made the emulator as contract work AFAIK, so the rights are with Atari.

I wonder if the other Digital Eclipse guy was Dan Amrich? While I've never met him in person so I'm not sure what he looks like, he kindly answered a few questions for me recently online and then asked if I'd be stopping by at their booth since he'd like to hear my thoughts after trying Atari 50. So I assume he was in attendance and helped man their booth.

I sadly wasn't able to attend.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JagChris said:

Later on one of the Atari50 reps told me Atari owns nothing of their arcade licenses of old from Paperboy on. Not even Klax. 

Can you believe Atari doesn't even own Paperboy anymore. All sold through the years to make a buck. Made me want to vomit.

Really? You just found out about that? jfc, it seems like someone has to tell this story every week here, like sirlynxalot. 😩

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Really? You just found out about that? jfc, it seems like someone has to tell this story every week here, like sirlynxalot. 😩

It's not like Atari is actually Atari.  It's been some low-key millionaire spaffing around in his spare time till it goes bankrupt (again) for the last decade or so.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

It's not like Atari is actually Atari.  It's been some low-key millionaire spaffing around in his spare time till it goes bankrupt (again) for the last decade or so.

To really be Atari they would have to be doing fun innovative new games and offering their programmers a "work when you like" party building. When they do that again, sign me up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

The rep stated neither Atari name owned Paperboy. Or Klax.

Now if you disagree with that ok. I took him at face value since he's supposed to be a professional in the industry. 

Edited by JagChris
  • Confused 1

Yep it's with Warner these days since they acquired Midway.  Arcade 1up has been able to license some of these 80s/90s atari arcade games so it's possible, just probably costs more than atari sa wants to spend and might be a little weird to include since it was from a different company with different owners and management and employees to the console and computer stuff that's being celebrated in the atari 50th package.  But what the heck, atari sa isn't exactly the natural evolution or continuation of any atari company, so it's a little weird their doing the 50th anniversary thing in the first place (but I'll take it lol).

Edited by sirlynxalot

I'd argue that the rights to those games are still owned by the "other" Atari, since Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment bought the rights not only to the Atari Games name, but also the arcade catalog itself (and presumably the Tengen home releases). Thus they have just as much of a connection to the Atari name and the videogaming heritage released under that name as Atari SA does.

The only difference from Atari SA is that there's not a functioning company with Atari in the name that holds title to them these days, which is perhaps what the Digital Eclipse guy was referring to. In some ways one could argue that they're more Atari than Atari SA is, since Warner Communications of course owned Atari Incorporated and then owned Atari Games for years, and then as Time Warner briefly reacquired Atari Games in the 90's before selling it to Midway. So it was a corporate homecoming of sorts when WB got the Atari Games name and library back when Midway died. 

WB has actively sold emulated versions of arcade Paperboy (Lego Dimensions), Klax (Lego Dimensions and the still available Midway Arcade Origins), and so on in recent years. So there's little doubt that something like Klax remains their property, or we'd see Midway Arcade Origins promptly delisted off the Xbox and Playstation store if they were to sell it. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

On 10/18/2022 at 10:35 AM, neo_rg said:

From what I can make out the emulator is a continuation of the tempest 2000 emulator that's sole mission was to run that game alone. It was able to run other ROM though.

Not doubting you, but how did we get this knowledge?

I've used the T2K emu before in my testing so just curious. 

Usually the original emu group gets a licensing fee, thinking of BFA being used in a commercial setting on retail releases. Although T2K emu was much more of an unfinished product comparably.

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jagosaurus said:

Not doubting you, but how did we get this knowledge?

I've used the T2K emu before in my testing so just curious. 

Usually the original emu group gets a licensing fee, thinking of BFA being used in a commercial setting on retail releases. Although T2K emu was much more of an unfinished product comparably.

Author of it is still posting on yakyak forums.  We've actually been discussing it, not in this context, but using it for VLM (of which it was also designed to do).  It will be easy to verify this.

Atari posted a short video today highlighting the Jaguar games coming to Atari 50:

Looks like these will be in there:

• Cybermorph
  • Fight for Life
  • Tempest 2000
  • Ruiner Pinball
  • Atari Karts
  • Trevor McFur
  • Dino Dudes
  • Missile Command 3D
  • Club Drive
  • Like 11

I wonder when the Iron Soldiers sold off. I am pretty sure Atari owned them because I remember the Eclipse guys saying it was a shame because they wanted to do 2D stuff. And they would have shown the public things they'd never seen before.

But Atari wanted 3D. If Atari didn't own those titles at one time it wouldn't have been up to them.

• Confused 2

On 10/29/2022 at 8:50 PM, JagChris said:

I wonder when the Iron Soldiers sold off. I am pretty sure Atari owned them because I remember the Eclipse guys saying it was a shame because they wanted to do 2D stuff. And they would have shown the public things they'd never seen before.

But Atari wanted 3D. If Atari didn't own those titles at one time it wouldn't have been up to them.

I can imagine Atari having input on those things if they were flipping the bill for development no matter the arrangement. It could have been setup so that Eclipse retained rights when the game was done. It would be interesting to know how it was setup if you happen to find out.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:50 PM, JagChris said:

Eclipse focused on 3D graphics. In fact their first proposal for a Jag game was a rail shooter in 3D.  

The concept for Iron Soldier was proposed by Atari. It is pretty much certain it was their IP, but maybe it was sold to Telegames later, after Atari merged with JTS. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 2