IGNORED

Games you wish had come out on the 7800

Silver Back

Over the last year I've dived into the world of homebrew games for the 7800 and it's been an awesome ride.  Everytime a new game comes out, (or I get a new to me homebrew) I like to pretend I'm a young child again, picking up a new and exciting title for the console.  I try to look at it through the lens of that time and mindset, and ask the question "how would I of responded to this game back then?"  It makes me think about what other games I would've liked to of seen on the 7800 as a kid. 

So with that being said I thought it would be fun to discuss what games we would've or would like to see on the 7800.   I have five to start, in no particular order:

Castlevania (NES, various others) - This would've been an awesome game to see on the 7800 and graced many of my dream lists as a child. More than likely compromises would have to be made but with a talented crew, I'm sure it could've been done.  Admittedly the proline wouldn't be my first choice for controlling Simon Belmont.  But with the European pad, and today's alternatives, I think it could play well. 

Gremlins (5200) - This is an awesome late release on the 5200.  But I think it could've faired well on the 7800.  I haven't played it personally but it looks awesome.  I would've added Countermeasure to this list as another 5200 game that would be cool to see, but PacManPlus took care of us there already (Failsafe)!  A good name for a homebrew version of Gremlins would be Mogwai, so there's that. 

Sinistar (arcade) - Ok so there's really no benefit of having Sinistar on the 7800.  I doubt the iconic voice clips would've survived on the prosystem.  But I loved it in the arcades and I would've died to have a home version, especially on the 7800.  I know there's a homebrew version on 5200 and I'm sure it's great, but I'm a 7800 guy. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. 

Paperboy (arcade) - Idk why but I always felt this was a game that should've found its way to the 7800. While I know nothing about programming I believe the vertical scrolling would be difficult to do on the 7800. But as a kid I always felt that paperboy should of been on the Prosystem and that thought remains today. 

Sprint master (2600) - or any top down racer really. I love this style of racing games and I think it would work well on the 7800.  As long as it has 3-4 cpu opponents (at least), multiple tracks with interesting scenery, and a few game modes like season, single race, 2-player and time trial, I would be entertained.  

That's my personal list. As a kid it would've included games like Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Mega Man and Zelda.  And honestly those would be cool but now I understand that those are Nintendo IPs that Atari could've never got (Mega Man isn't but still).

This isn't a call for homebrewers to make these games but a fun discussion of games that would be cool to see on the Atari 7800 Prosystem.  Do you agree with my choices or do you have reasons why they aren't a great match for the console?  What games would you liked to of seen ported to the 7800 back in the day or even in the future?  I'd love to hear!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I think, before wishing for new games, I'd like to see some of the titles from the original library done to a higher standard.

I'd start the list with the following.

Donkey Kong Jr.

Galaga

Karateka

Mario Bros.

That would be awesome. Seeing a version of Karateka closer to the original game is something I'd love to see. It should've been so much better. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

Seeing a version of Karateka closer to the original game is something I'd love to see. It should've been so much better. 

For starters, they should have used the graphics from the Atari 8-bit Computer version; and then enhanced them in the color department where needed. They already had a model that was much better than what they ended up with. Made no sense to take it in the direction they did (down into the gutter).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

I think, before wishing for new games, I'd like to see some of the titles from the original library done to a higher standard.

I'd start the list with the following.

Donkey Kong Jr.

Galaga

Karateka

Mario Bros.

You are soon to be in luck!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

All great choices above! I like the direction top 'brewers have taken the 7800 all these years and hope it kind of continues that way though. Talking mostly about the somewhat obscure or under-represented classic arcade games. A few that come to mind:

Boxing Bugs

Kaos

War of the Worlds 

...and on the subject of tweaking or enhancing existing games, Pete Rose could sure use a fix in the fielding department! Invisible barriers need to be eliminated so that they have freedom to roam. Game is wrecked as is. 😡

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, littaum said:

You are soon to be in luck!

[YouTube video - Preview Mario Bros. Update]

That's what I'm talking about. We all know the 7800 is capable well beyond what was done by Atari. Good to see someone is finally proving it.

BTW, thanks; I missed the news about it...

Captain Goodnight (Apple ][)

Castlevania (NES)

Arkanoid (arcade)

Contra (arcade/NES)

Gradius (arcade)

Mappy (arcade)

Pooyan (arcade)

Prince of Persia (Apple //e)

Super Mario Bros. (arcade)

Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap (Sega Master System/TurboGraFX)

Edited by The Usotsuki
  • Like 2

In addition to the above: Cloak & Dagger.  It always surprised me that Atari never really capitalised on what they had with that game.

While I have the soapbox:

Tube Panic

Gottlieb's games running on Reactor hardware

Bubble Bobble

Bosconian

Zoo Keeper

Laserdisc Games

• Like 3

A lot of games I have wanted to be on the 7800 have already been put on it thanks to homebrew devs, and I cannot thank them enough for their efforts. Frogger, Q*Bert, the upcoming Popeye and Mario Bros. ports, and even Baby Pac-Man, which I thought would never be ported to anything because nobody cared about it. How wrong I was, and I'm glad I was wrong because we got a fantastic 7800 port of it! However, there are still quite a few gaps in the 7800's library. Of course, the obvious suggestions would be NES games, although I'm not sure how well the more complex games would run on it (Kirby's Adventure, anyone?). As for arcade games, this thread already has a lot of great suggestions. But I have a few more obscure games that I would love to see get a port one day. Maybe I'll do some mock ups and music for them later, just to have something to work off of if these games ever become a reality.

Toypop (Namco/1986) - It's a childhood favorite of mine. I love this game's cute fantasy storybook aesthetic, and I always thought the gameplay was really clever. I imagine Pokey could replicate that tack piano sound of the arcade music very well.

Gyruss (Konami/1983) - Another one of my favorite arcade games. The NES version is especially great, as it adds some new content like boss fights and stuff. It would be cool to have a 7800 version that also adds some of those bonus features.

Rainbow Islands (Taito/1987) - For the novelty of having a vertical platformer on the system, I think this one would be cool to see. Ice Climber would be a good candidate too, but I think Rainbow Islands has much better gameplay.

Donkey Kong 3 (Nintendo/1983) - Kind of the ugly duckling of the original Donkey Kong trilogy, but I personally love it. This game was done dirty back then, and it deserved to be ported to a lot more systems. How can you go wrong with blasting bugs?

Pac-Mania (Namco/1987) - This was another game that was ported to everything, but the 7800 should get a version as well. It's a really solid Pac-Man game with great music. The Yamaha sound hardware would be a great fit for this game.

Splatterhouse (Namco/1988) - To be honest, I don't think the 7800 could even handle this game. But it's another one of my favorite arcade games. And while I don't think the 7800 could handle all the gory details, the gameplay could translate over nicely.

• Like 6

I'll second Arkanoid.....we have the availability of first party, good quality paddle/driving controllers, why not lean into that?

(Hell, I'd actually PLAY Pole Position II if it used a paddle or driving controller. Be a LOT more fun IMO)

Double hell, I'd play an upgraded version of Tac-Scan on the 7800!

• Like 3

On 9/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, Silver Back said:

Sinistar (arcade) - Ok so there's really no benefit of having Sinistar on the 7800.  I doubt the iconic voice clips would've survived on the prosystem.  But I loved it in the arcades and I would've died to have a home version, especially on the 7800.  I know there's a homebrew version on 5200 and I'm sure it's great, but I'm a 7800 guy. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. 

This is one on my list of games to do... :ponder:

Thanks to @PAC-MAN-RED :D

image.png.d84e343fa2ed5eff0c7e364c9787189a.png

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 13