IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

16 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

I have a Samsung that required this particular stupidity. I connected it to my router, finished setup, and promptly changed the router password to prevent it from connecting. That worked fine until the older of my spawn decided he "really" needed to add Netflix to that TV and reconnected it. That lasted until his interest in Netflix waned and I reset the password again. . .

i got two dumb non-smart Toshiba TV's, one in my office a 32" one, and one in the living room a older 50" one, they are not 4K, but they are great for 1080p, and both have dual hdmi inputs, and still besides not being smart, have a vga, and composite inputs as well, and still support Dolby Digital audio out and for when I want some 'smart', i added a non-4k basic FireStick to one hdmi port on both, so that is perfect combo for me, full control over my TV and smartness for when I need and better control over, then a built-in smart-tv os.

If someone can give me a reasonable, valid, consumer-friendly explanation for why companies continue to use that rubberized layer on electronics which rots and turns into a sticky mess, I might could go a week without being a complete ass.

😠

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

If someone can give me a reasonable, valid, consumer-friendly explanation for why companies continue to use that rubberized layer on electronics which rots and turns into a sticky mess, I might could go a week without being a complete ass.

😠

Is it useful in preventing water damage? That is about the only use I could see for the stuff. . .

7 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Long Island into New York right now. People think the world is ending. 🤦🏻‍♂️One tiny 5.5 earthquake and everyone is worried!

Mother nature timing is off we needed the earthquake to occur during April 8th when everyone was watching the sun disappearing.

Dust off your cameras, I'd like to see a shot like this one from me on March 29, 2006 in Turkey.

Camera was a KM Dimage A2, several pictures overlaid. Today, I have a full frame format camera, but unfortunately I'm a few thousand kilometers too far to the east.

sofi2006mz.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

Dust off your cameras, I'd like to see a shot like this one from me on March 29, 2006 in Turkey.

Camera was a KM Dimage A2, several pictures overlaid. Today, I have a full frame format camera, but unfortunately I'm a few thousand kilometers too far to the east.

I will not be anywhere near it.  I have family in its path who I had planned to visit.  I cancelled those plans to avoid the craziness.

23 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

😠

I think they use it as a gripping surface, for things that might otherwise be slippery.  That said, I wish they didn't use it!

We have a very nice camera that the Better Half bought in 1990.  It still works flawlessly, that has that <censored> stuff on it as a hand-grip.  It's getting gummy but I can't bring myself to get rid of the camera or try to clean the gunk off.  I cleaned the gunk off of a nice radio-mouse, just because I really liked that mouse.  Took me more than a week with lots of paper towels and most of a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and, at one point, I almost threw it out.  When I started to see metal-flake blue through the gunk, I knew I was going to make it.

K-R.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

I think they use it as a gripping surface, for things that might otherwise be slippery.  That said, I wish they didn't use it!

We have a very nice camera that the Better Half bought in 1990.  It still works flawlessly, that has that <censored> stuff on it as a hand-grip.  It's getting gummy but I can't bring myself to get rid of the camera or try to clean the gunk off.  I cleaned the gunk off of a nice radio-mouse, just because I really liked that mouse.  Took me more than a week with lots of paper towels and most of a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and, at one point, I almost threw it out.  When I started to see metal-flake blue through the gunk, I knew I was going to make it.

K-R.

I use 90% isopropyl and cotton cloth like old t-shirts and wet it down with the Alcohol then wipe like crazy changing postions on the shirt and wetting again. I usually get the gunk off.

11 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

I use 90% isopropyl and cotton cloth like old t-shirts and wet it down with the Alcohol then wipe like crazy changing postions on the shirt and wetting again. I usually get the gunk off.

From what I understand at this point, you have to wait until it begins to decompose or has decomposed, then hit it with at least 90% isopropyl, cloth, and a good bit of elbow grease.  I have successfully removed it from several of my electronic items.

• Like 1

BREAKING REPORT: ⚠️ Massive container ship loses power near NYC’s Verrazzano Bridge..

DEVELOPING..

A giant container ship experienced a power outage in the waters near New York City and was safely anchored close to the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge on Friday night.

This incident occurred shortly after a similar situation with another large cargo ship led to a collision with Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge less than two weeks earlier.

The US Coast Guard verified that their Vessel Traffic Service was alerted to the 89,000-ton M/V Qingdao losing its propulsion around 8:30 p.m. while navigating through the Kill Van Kull waterway, which is the maritime passage between Staten Island and Bayonne, New Jersey.

20240407_191303.jpg

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

From what I understand at this point, you have to wait until it begins to decompose or has decomposed, then hit it with at least 90% isopropyl, cloth, and a good bit of elbow grease.  I have successfully removed it from several of my electronic items.

I've been testing corn starch on my joystick to fill in the sticky bits. It's been working so far. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

BREAKING REPORT: ⚠️ Massive container ship loses power near NYC’s Verrazzano Bridge..

DEVELOPING..

A giant container ship experienced a power outage in the waters near New York City and was safely anchored close to the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge on Friday night.

This incident occurred shortly after a similar situation with another large cargo ship led to a collision with Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge less than two weeks earlier.

The US Coast Guard verified that their Vessel Traffic Service was alerted to the 89,000-ton M/V Qingdao losing its propulsion around 8:30 p.m. while navigating through the Kill Van Kull waterway, which is the maritime passage between Staten Island and Bayonne, New Jersey.

20240407_191303.jpg

Foreign ships should probably not be allowed in these waters without engineering inspections. 

It's a very big strategic risk to the USA. 

One Canuck's opinion. :) 

• Like 1