IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

21 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

I think Microsoft issued a "patch" for the latest failed update for 22H2. The other day, when I signed on to Updates, it downloaded a very small file labelled "Comprehensive update for . . ." The entire download took less than 5 seconds. Then, today when I downloaded and installed the "Comprehensive update. . ." which appeared again, there were absolutely no issues with the download. Interesting!  

good to know. - i been holding off my laptop saying "restart now" and i was worried that it will not boot back up, so i should see what it downloaded in the logs before i hit restart.

Any thoughts on forum speed. I been finding ever sibce they moved to cloud based hosting instead of dedicated servers I get this screen alot.

Originally it was just when trying to use search never get any results any more instead I get this temporary unavailable screen.

But now I get it when just trying to switch from reading one new thread or another. Happens a lot when I click on the little dot in front of a long thread to go to newest unread post.

I find sometimes better to go to last page instead and scroll down to the post I stopped reading at.

I am wondering if becoming a AtariAge subscriber would maybe give me less timeout errors.

Screenshot_20240315-185309.png

1 minute ago, Gary from OPA said:

I wonder if it's because my Internet is 8gigs. I gotten issues with other sites thinking I am a bot since my browser grabs data so fast.

Nope.  Nothing about you is special.  Invision hosting just sucks sometimes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Nope.  Nothing about you is special.  Invision hosting just sucks sometimes.

Yeah that is true. Wish they go back to using their own servers. I ran large popular forums before and cloud hosting by Invision or vBulletin sucks compared to properly configured tuned dedicated server

Edited by Gary from OPA

28 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Yeah that is true. Wish they go back to using their own servers. I ran large popular forums before and cloud hosting by Invision or vBulletin sucks compared to properly configured tuned dedicated server

Pretty certain Albert did it for the cost.  It was getting too expensive to run it in private hosting.  AA has been around for a wee bit over 20 years, and that is a shittonne of data to house.

EDIT:  As well as management.  During my time, AtariAge has gone through a couple of migrations between versions or machines.  That is a lot of work for a guy, even with a small team.  All of that is managed now by Invision.  Means Albert can get sleep and run stuff during the day (like shipping out my Last Change purchase I made about six months ago... hi, @Albert :waving:)  I get it.  I am running my own "cloud" platform, and even with its small scale it can be a lot of lost sleep.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Pretty certain Albert did it for the cost.  It was getting too expensive to run it in private hosting.  AA has been around for a wee bit over 20 years, and that is a shittonne of data to house.

It wasn't because of this.

12 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

EDIT:  As well as management.  During my time, AtariAge has gone through a couple of migrations between versions or machines.  That is a lot of work for a guy, even with a small team.  All of that is managed now by Invision.  Means Albert can get sleep and run stuff during the day (like shipping out my Last Change purchase I made about six months ago... hi, @Albert :waving:)  I get it.  I am running my own "cloud" platform, and even with its small scale it can be a lot of lost sleep.

This is the main reason I moved the forums from a dedicated server to Invision's cloud service.  Unfortunately, it's hard to know exactly how reliable and/or fast it will be until you've been on it for a bit.  And now that some time has passed, let me just say I'm less than impressed and, frankly, pretty tired of seeing random outages.  Most of the time it's very brief, but there have been several extended outages that have lasted several hours, or even days.  So what I was expecting to be less of a burden for me has been very disappointing, and if I had known it was going to be like this, I absolutely would have stayed on a dedicated server.  There have been other issues with the transition as well, such as the search speed / reliability being worse.  Invision doesn't seem very eager to help -- I can setup a third-party solution such as Elasticsearch (which is what I had running on the self-hosted solution), but Invision hasn't been very helpful when I've asked about this, and it's not as simple to setup with the cloud solution, and it could be a significant expense given how busy the forum is. 

It's possible I will go back to the self-hosted solution.  This will be more viable once I can greatly reduce the amount of time I spend building games for AtariAge Store orders, which is a significant goal I have for this year.  I may also explore alternate solutions, such as XenForo. 

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

This will be more viable once I can greatly reduce the amount of time I spend building games for AtariAge Store orders, which is a significant goal I have for this year.

Need to have another maker-space gathering out there, with a cartridge building workshop.  Everyone bring the kids and get these orders knocked out! ;)

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Need to have another maker-space gathering out there, with a cartridge building workshop.  Everyone bring the kids and get these orders knocked out! ;)

It's not really a one-time thing, it's an ongoing issue that I am working to solve.  I want everyone to get their orders in a timely fashion (less than a week to ship), and also free up my time for the many interesting projects I'd like to embark on, for both AtariAge and Atari.

..Al

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's not really a one-time thing, it's an ongoing issue that I am working to solve.  I want everyone to get their orders in a timely fashion (less than a week to ship), and also free up my time for the many interesting projects I'd like to embark on, for both AtariAge and Atari.

Good luck with it.  I would hope you have more resources available through Atari to help with that.  Most of us are patient folk, though it is disappointing to wait so long for stuff.  I also know it can be frustrating to not be able to deliver.  I have had to put off customer work during times I get inundated, and it feels bad, man.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

It wasn't because of this.

This is the main reason I moved the forums from a dedicated server to Invision's cloud service.  Unfortunately, it's hard to know exactly how reliable and/or fast it will be until you've been on it for a bit.  And now that some time has passed, let me just say I'm less than impressed and, frankly, pretty tired of seeing random outages.  Most of the time it's very brief, but there have been several extended outages that have lasted several hours, or even days.  So what I was expecting to be less of a burden for me has been very disappointing, and if I had known it was going to be like this, I absolutely would have stayed on a dedicated server.  There have been other issues with the transition as well, such as the search speed / reliability being worse.  Invision doesn't seem very eager to help -- I can setup a third-party solution such as Elasticsearch (which is what I had running on the self-hosted solution), but Invision hasn't been very helpful when I've asked about this, and it's not as simple to setup with the cloud solution, and it could be a significant expense given how busy the forum is. 

It's possible I will go back to the self-hosted solution.  This will be more viable once I can greatly reduce the amount of time I spend building games for AtariAge Store orders, which is a significant goal I have for this year.  I may also explore alternate solutions, such as XenForo. 

..Al

Many thanks for your direct reply and expanding in depth.

I know the feeling i ran many large forums over the years, on all 3 platforms with TNA ones using invision was always giving us issues. Xenforo also has its own issues as well. nothing is perfect.

If you ever have the budget and need someone to help, i am affordable and do go work when it comes to maintaining forums and servers, if you ever decide to go back to using dedicated ones, as not much you can do outside wise with invision cloud service, we had the same issues back when the TNA forums were switched over to them, and I thought after all these years they would have improved their hosting but I guess not.

Thanks again for caring for our TI99 community and running the best forum site out there! You are one-man army!

11 hours ago, Albert said:

I'm less than impressed and, frankly, pretty tired of seeing random outages

FWIW I've been hosting a few sites on digital ocean droplets for several years and don't remember any outages.  Uptime of 462 days on one of my VMs.

(edit: of course I've no idea what s/w you are running, I just use bare metal VMs, so this may be irrelevant)

Edited by khanivore

19 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Slow Americans, Canada we are in the 3gig world with 1.5gig the minimum and rare minority like me with 8gigs

I don't know why anyone would need that much bandwidth.  I had a 16Mb 4G cellular router for years and it met my needs nearly all of the time (I'm out in the sticks, ADSL was only 2Mb, so I ditched my landline ages ago).  I finally got 1Gb fibre last year but it didn't make that much difference.  The main improvement is if the family is all on Netflix and I'm on a zoom/teams call it's perfectly stable now, which is nice, but I can't think of any reason to get more than 1Gb.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

A money grab for grants.

You can't even subscribe to 8gig anymore in Canada I was one of the lucky ones to get it. Afterwards the local government regulator here called the CRTC ruled that Ma Bell must allow competitors and wholesale and share their fiber lines to other smaller ISP after spending all the infrastructure money to run and install it, so Bell Canada say screw it we are capping it at 3gigs, only early subscribers like me get grandfathered in and still have 8gigs, but if I ever cancel or change plans I will lose it. As for using the bandwidth I guess I am ready for 8k streaming games and can have a 4k streaming tv in every room including the bathroom running non stop with all the gaming consoles playing non stop and throw in 4k live streaming webcams in each room and still have bandwidth left over. Turn my place into a reality big brother show. Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2