IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I have been looking for a good inexpensive radio for railroad frequencies.

(Ah, it is a two-way CB/marine. Nice.)

No, it's not CB or Marine frequencies, it's the 16 channels of the FRS (Family Radio Service). The person posting the auction is either ignorant of what he has or being a little deceptive.

No, it's not CB or Marine frequencies, it's the 16 channels of the FRS (Family Radio Service). The person posting the auction is either ignorant of what he has or being a little deceptive.

My guess is, like when people spell things like "Commador" instead of "Commodore," he might not know what he has which makes it an even better find for those who do.

EDIT: I dunno. He seems to know what these are. Maybe he is just using the term CB as a way of helping viewers understand its purpose? ::shrugs:: Whatevs, I actually have some handhelds which we used back in 2003-ish on a family fishing trip. These might have been really nice to have then. Now everyone just uses cell phones... until the coverage gives, ya know? Kids.

And that last video is exactly why I told one vendor that we had absolutely no interest in purchasing their product. It had no built-in security at all. their explanation: that would have been expensive to implement, so we left it out. . . .

This right here... this shit right here is what makes me sick.

I have been "hacking" my car, turning on features which were disabled because I did not buy the package which included them. As I continue to dig into its CANBUS and the Ford MS-CANBUS (medium speed) I confirm for myself what has been written about and demonstrated -- there is no security on the CANBUS, no way to authenticate settings or messages on the bus. Not a problem, right? As TJX and Target said, "it's a private network."

Then they add a computerized entertainment system with access to the buses. Still no problem, right? I mean, it is all a concealed environment. Then they add Bluetooth, then WiFi, then WWAN, and mobile connected access -- I can start my car from my phone, how cool is that?!

Yes. And that same computer also has the ability to shut the car down, actuate the ABS or bump the steering wheel with false alerts from the forward camera, and so on.

These are not "smart" features. These are "dumb" features which master sensitive controls.

• Like 4

i have a 2016 Dodge Dart- i admittedly didn't spend a lot of time this morning researching it, but it looks like i can't do any fun stuff with mine without doing more digging. The Dart doesn't look like it does a lot of OTA stuff, but not sure if you plugged a module in. The Bluetooth is limited at best, it looks like.

Maybe I have the Battlestar Galactica of the modern car world, lol

Is it the application for the phone that people are worried about and the fact it goes through a server on the internet and can compromise access to your personal network?

Granted, a strictly WiFi on local network only app would work for me, that way external attacks become less worrisome.

Is it the application for the phone that people are worried about and the fact it goes through a server on the internet and can compromise access to your personal network?

Granted, a strictly WiFi on local network only app would work for me, that way external attacks become less worrisome.

The Internet-based aspect is worrisome to a degree, yes. A service on the Internet has a massive attack exposure, even if a limited attack surface. There is always the bag-of-mostly-water vulnerability: dev exposed by accident, hard-wired credentials, SQL injections, cross-site scripting, internal vulnerabilities exposed to authenticated users, and so on.

Even direct WiFi can be interfered with or hijacked. Part of the "Snowden Dump" was a drone-based WPA2 capture and decipher hack to allow an infiltrator onto a network. WPA3 is expected to fix several of the inherent problems in WPA2 which have been exposes recently.

Here is an article about WPS hacking.

I highly recommend Kali Linux for anyone who seriously wants to dive into the world of security. A good dose of Python would be useful, as well, as many tools are built in Python including the extremely powerful scapy.

Here is a more recent article discussing some of the problems with IoT.

https://www.darkreading.com/iot/7-serious-iot-vulnerabilities/d/d-id/1332616

The ageing firmware issue is one I run into (or used to, I no longer support these kinds of installations) with DVRs and IP cameras.

U.S. Marine Corps

Concrete 3D Printed Barracks << CLICK HERE >>

I imagine this technology could be adapted for use on Mars and sealed with a spray on polymer after airlocks and windows were fitted. Using mostly on-site materials would save MILLIONS in transport and logistics.

I just read about his prior to seeing your post, pretty cool, I have worked directly with the Marine EF over in Iraq in the past.

• Like 1

/rant mod ON

There is an old saying that goes, "No good deed goes unpunished." I experienced that first-hand yesterday, damn I was so grossed out that I felt like soaking my hand in pure Clorox Bleach for an hour. So here's the story...

An acquaintance of mine, was having some issues with installing some software in his older (486 class) computer. He's an senior in his late 80's, so I figured, why not offer to help him out, after all we've all been in the same situation.

Damn, this dude lives in a full-on pigsty! I dunno if he even knows what a vacuum cleaner is, seriously it was that bad. Anyway, I figured I'd fix the problem and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible....

.... anyway, I get to the computer. OMG, really? The mouse, the mouse... seriously I think this guy feeds his computer mouse full bags of Cheetos. That mouse was so heavily encrusted with orange bits of Cheetos that I felt nauseated just touching it... and the mouse pad... I have no words to adequately describe the visual of those embedded bits of old fossilized junk food.

/rant mode OFF

I have to deal with this sometimes with customers. I wind up replacing mouses and keyboards for customers fairly often as they eat at their desks and God knows what else. I used to carry cleaning kits and Lysol wipes, but now I just carry my own Logitech combo keyboard and touchpad for some places I go -- I just plug the transceiver into the USB port and use my own input device.

• Like 1

in my former life doing onsite IT support, i've never had the famous 'smoker' computers- i have had plenty of experience, however with food, drink, animals, and dust. blech!

CS1 has a super idea with bringing his own keyboard. I wish I had thought of that back in the day.

Oh, smokers... so a long time ago we got a computer in the shop which was yellow... and sticky. We took some Simple Green to it and brought out the original beige of the paint and removed almost all of the yellowing from the face, and the owner accused us of replacing the case and he wanted his original case back.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with battery- or USB-powered soldering irons? I picked up one from Radio Shanty a good six years ago or so and thought it was rather terrible. Since then I have heard people who speak highly of them. I bit the bullet and picked up a Weller on eBay to try out.

I would like to be able to do some simple soldering -- putting together prepared resisters, wires, and LEDs -- while watching away games this season at the sports bar and family eatery around the corner.

Any suggestions?

I've been toying with buying a new computer for the past couple of months, but don't want to go over $2K. I'm ready to buy now, but when I look at computers, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to use Windoze10. But I want one that will DECENTLY do video editing, (as in faster than than my current system), but when I look at these things, most of the ones I've seen so far only have 1 USB port, and NO Ethernet port. WTF? My current aging laptop has 3 USB ports (2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0), 1 eSATA/USB combo (I don't use), 1 HDMI out, 1 VGA out, one Ethernet port (I do use) and one SD card slot (full size). Of course it also has a DVD/CD-RW as well as Bluetooth and WiFi, but I use Ethernet for Internet as it's faster.

I want to have at least what I have now, but one that has 4 to 6 cores and a minimum of 8-16GB RAM, possibly 32G if I can get it under my price point. I dunno what a decent cache size is considered good anymore. But if I'm going to continue making videos, I need a faster computer. I want something I can buy online and have shipped with no fuss. I'm figuring I'll have to settle for a tower and a decent monitor. 4K? I'm using a dual monitor setup at the moment (2 monitors rated at 1600 X 900) but figure one monitor with a greater resolution than those two combined should be 'good enough'.

Quite frankly though, I'm lost.