IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2023 (Season 16)

carlsson

tl;dr: Play video games (from systems released between 1950 and 1999) and post your times!

For the 16th consecutive season, we weekly log which video games we've played and for how long. I am compiling the weekly, yearly and sometimes in between stats. As always, everyone are welcome to contribute - both old-timers, previous participants returning to the tracker and newcomers. Post just one week if you want, post every week if you like.

So what is this?

The basic idea is to post what games you played during each week, and for how long. You don't have to time it down to the exact minute (though most of us do), any reasonable estimates are acceptable. Then, at the end of the week, the stats keeper (that's me) totals everything up and we find out which games and platforms are seeing the most action.

Each week, we have top 10 lists for consoles/computers and for individual games. We also have a separate top 10 list for games released on platforms that predate the US release of the NES (i.e. roughly the tail end of 1985). That way, arcade-style vintage gaming doesn't get totally lost in the shuffle of RPGs, collectathons, and other games that take 10+ hours to complete.

However, our all-time #1 game by a huge margin is Kaboom! with Solar Fox in a strong second place. Both are for the Atari 2600, which holds up very well against the slightly newer stuff!

Guidelines:

1. Be sure to list the system, the name of the game, and the length of time you play. Please note if the game has any alternate titles by which it's better known (i.e. Air Sea Battle vs. Target Fun). If you list multiple games, please group them by platform. If you play on a backwards-compatible system, e.g. Atari 2600 games on the 7800 or SMS games on the Genesis, the game should be listed under the older platform's name.

Note that we track video games here. While you are welcome to post your times on e.g. pinball games, board games, card games etc, those will not be counted. Of course if you play a video game simulating a pinball game or a board game, it counts. One of the few exceptions to this rule is the arcade game Baby Pac-Man (and a few more from the same publisher) which consists of a video game part and a pinball game part.

2. Each week runs Monday through Sunday (at midnight), though exceptions may occur around New Year. Try to post your times no later than night to Tuesday in your local timezone. I will generally wait until late Tuesday evening Central European Time before compiling the stats. If you post after stats have been posted, your times will be counted for the next week. Feel free to indicate in your post which dates your times relate to.

3. Playing on actual vintage hardware is preferred, although emulators are certainly allowed. In some cases (homebrews in development, rare arcade games) the may be no alternative to using an emulator.

4. Our cutoff year is 2000. That is, eligible consoles and computers have to have been released (somewhere in the world) before 2000. This includes Dreamcast and Nintendo 64, but excludes the most recent systems like PlayStation 2, XBox, GameCube, Game Boy Advance, et al. The same goes for computers: we count Windows 95/98 games, but not XP; Mac OS 9, but not OS X; and so on.

However there is hope for those of you who are stuck in the 21th century gaming! For the 6th season in a row, we will have a Modern gameplay tracker that covers everything the Classic gameplay tracker doesn't, i.e. anything from 2000 or newer goes into the other tracker. The format is identical, the stats are quite similar except for of course there is no point narrowing out pre-NES systems released 25 years after the NES itself was released. :)

5. Arcade games up to A.D. 2000 are permitted. So are emulated compilations of arcade games for modern systems, as long as they're not rewritten or otherwise massively "updated" versions. Generally speaking, arcade collections played on systems released before year 2000 tend to be recreated code, while newer collections tend to emulate the original ROMs. Thus it sometimes can be hard to tell when to list games separately and when to group them. For instance, if you play 45 minutes of Robotron via Midway Arcade Treasures for the XBox, those 45 minutes are counted towards the arcade game, but if you played it on the Nintendo 64, it is counted as a N64 game rather than arcade.

6. You don't just have to post a bare list of times -- comments, stories, images, gripes, and helpful hints are always encouraged! If you're struggling with a level, got a new high score, or have some thoughts about what's great or what stinks about a particular game...well, that's the kind of stuff that makes this fun to read.

How to make the statskeeper's life easier:

- If you post a big list of games, please consider alphabetizing them first (after grouping them by platform, which also is helpful to alphabetize).

- Posting your times in minutes, rather than hours + minutes, makes things a little simpler.

- Even if you don't know the exact time, it's better to post a specific number and say it's an estimate. If you say you posted a bunch of games for "between 20 minutes and an hour", I'll just average everything out to 40 minutes, but it's much better to have a sense of which games you played more and which ones you played less.

- If you only post game titles without any indication of how long you played each game, I will assume 5 minutes regardless of how long you may actually have played them. Surely you can play a game for far less - down to a single minute - and specifically mention that, and I'll use that number instead.

- If there's room for confusion or ambiguity, please address that in advance so I don't have to research it myself. Non-US releases, homebrews in progress, alternate titles, and expanded re-releases can get especially tricky.

That about covers it. If you want a taste of our numbers, you can check some of the latest stats at the end of 2021.

One more thought:

If you haven't participated before, or if you did and got busy with other things, consider taking part in 2023! You may find that it has some interesting side effects -- I've found that keeping a log dramatically changes how I think about my own gaming, and mostly for the better.

P.S. Past years of the tracker: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022

The first week of the season covers January 2 - 8, with possible catch-up for times not previously posted. Then we go week by week until the last week, which according to the calendar will run until December 31, 2023 but more about that later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I don't have editing permissions, but yes here is a list of the systems known in the tracker. There are a few inconsistencies like why Dreamcast, Genesis and Game Gear are unique enough with the Sega prefix, and why none of the Nintendo systems have a prefix while all of the Atari systems do. Of course it is easy for me to change those in Excel, if we strive for orthogonality.

Spoiler

3DO
ABC-80
Acorn Archimedes
Acorn Electron
Adventurevision
Amiga
Amiga AGA/ECS
Amiga CD32
Amstrad CPC
Amstrad CPC Plus
Apple II
Apple Iigs
Apple Lisa
Apple Pippin
Arcade
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari 8-bit
Atari Jaguar
Atari Jaguar CD
Atari Lynx
Atari ST
Atari Video Pinball
BBC Micro
BBS Door Games
Bally Astrocade
COMX-35
COSMAC ELF
CP/M
Casio PV-1000
CoCo 1 & 2
CoCo 3
ColecoVision
Commodore 16 & Plus/4
Commodore 64
Commodore CBM-II
Commodore PET
Compucolor 8001
Compucolor II
Cougar Boy/Mega Duck
Creativision
Cromemco Dazzler
DEC Alpha
DEC PDP-1
DEC PDP-11
DEC PDP-8
Dragon 32
Dreamcast
Emerson Arcadia 2001
Epoch Super Cassette Vision
FM Towns
FM Towns Marty
Fairchild Channel F
Famicom Disk System
Fujitsu FM-77 AV
Gamate
Game & Watch
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Gear
Game.com
Genesis
Handheld/Tabletop
IBM PC jr
Intellivision
Intellivision ECS
Interton VC-4000/APVS 1292
Jupiter Ace
Linux (supposedly 1990's Linux distros!)
MSX
MSX2
Mac OS Classic
Mattel Aquarius
Memotech MTX-512
Microbee 32
Microvision
N64
NEC PC-6001
NEC PC-8001
NEC PC-8801
NEC PC-9801
NES/Famicom
Neo Geo AES/MVS
Neo Geo CD
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Odyssey^2
Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400
Oric-1 & Atmos
PC DOS
PC Windows 95/98
PC-FX
Philips CD-i
PlayStation
Pong
RCA Studio II
SAM Coupé
SG-1000
SNES
Sega 32X
Sega 32X CD
Sega CD
Sega Master System
Sega Saturn
Sharp MZ-700
Sharp MZ-80K
Sharp X1
Sharp X68000
Sinclair ZX 80
Sinclair ZX 81
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Sord M5
Spectravideo SVI-328
Super A'Can
SuperGrafx
TG-16/PC Engine
TG-CD/PC Engine CD
TI-99/4A
TRS-80 MC-10
TRS-80 Model I/III
Telmac 1800
Thomson MO5
Tiger R-Zone
Tiger/Sega Pocket Arcade
Tomy Tutor
Toshiba Visicom
VG 5000
VIC-20
Vectrex
Virtual Boy
Vtech Laser 500
Watara SuperVision
WonderSwan

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Perhaps I'm misusing it, due to not being a native speaker. I meant like-formed properties, e.g. in a CPU where every addressing mode can be applied to nearly every instruction, or like here - if some Sega systems are prefixed by Sega, perhaps all of them should be. Amiga and VIC-20 also were Commodore computers. Mac OS is as much a product from Apple as the Lisa was. Note that I already renamed C64 into Commodore 64.

• Like 2

I finally played Kyuukyoku Tiger II and Twin Cobra II and I kind of hate them. Not much else to say

Arcade
Hishouzame - 74
Kyuukyoku Tiger II - 27
Out Zone - 133
Slap Fight - 34
Tatsujin Ou - 115
Twin Cobra II - 8

Windows 95/98
Total Annihilation + The Core Contingency + Battle Tactics - 25

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here are my times for this past week (January 2nd through 8th, 2023):

Commodore 64:

Miner 2049'er - 8 min.

TI-99/4A:

The mine - 305 min. in 8 sessions

Miner 2049'er - 20 min.

This week I mainly continued to play "The mine" on the TI-99. I've meanwhile somewhat overcome the gameplay issues described last week, and now the main limiting factor are the mistakes I make while playing, so I don't even reach the screens that are the most broken ones. The sessions mostly only consist of one game which might take up to 56 minues already.

I also played Miner 2049'er, which is obviously the game that inspired "The mine". I first tried the TI-99/4A and then the Commodore 64 version.

• Like 4

SNES

Jaki Crush - 145 min

Block Kuzushi - 40 min

Finally was able to test my christmas presents and got hooked on demon pinball. The Breakout clone was enjoyable as well. I also had a mystery lot of 9 SFC cartridges that I just tested to see if they worked. 5/9 got a black screen, so I've got some opening and cleaning to do. 

• Like 5

Here are my times for the retro games I've played:

Atari 2600:

Fast Food- 3 minutes

Vanguard- 9 minutes

Ms. Pacman- 3 minutes

Jr. Pacman- 7 1/2 minutes

Fast Eddie- 2 1/2 minutes

Demon Attack- 3 minutes

Dig Dug- 2 1/2 minutes

Crazy Climber- 11 minutes

Spiderman- 2 minutes

Millipede- 4 minutes

Tapper- 8 minutes

Time Pilot- 10 minutes

Tunnel Runner- 3 1/2 minutes

NES:

Big Nose the Caveman (Unlicensed)- 5 1/2 minutes

Arkanoid- 7 minutes

Choplifter- 4 minutes

Bubble Bath Babes- 6 minutes

MD-DOS PC: Doom II Samsara 0.3 mod via Zandronum-15 minutes

Edited by Prosystemsearch
  • Like 4

This week I played:

Suikoden II for Playstation - 1,885 minutes

Progress:

I started a new game where I chose not to import Suikoden save data so I could take a look at the differences. I ended up with over 80 characters so far and just defeated Luca Blight. There's still a ways to go, but I am confident I can still get the rest of the characters this time around (minus McDohl obviously due to not importing the save data).

• Like 4

Amstrad CPC

New Zealand Story - 11 min

Atari ST

New Zealand Story - 15 min

Color Computer 2

Slay the Nereis - 25 min

Color Computer 3

CoCoBan - 27 min

Commodore 16

The Hell - 32 min

The Hell 2 - 3 min

Emerson Arcadia

3D Bowling - 6 min

Jupiter Ace (via MiSTer)

Astrian Descent - 23 min

NES

10-Yard Fight - 129 min

Solar Jetman - 87  min

Edited by onlyinajeep
  • Like 5

This is my first time contributing to the tracker! I don't know the exact times so I estimated for each one, rounded to nearest 5 minute increment.

Week of 1/2/23 - 1/8/23

Atari 2600

Conquest of Mars - 10

Mr. Yo-Yo - 10

Seaquest - 20

Star Castle - 10

Atari 8-bit

Caverns of Mars - 5

Miner 2049er - 20

Pitstop - 5

Genesis

Chiki Chiki Boys - 10

Golden Axe - 15

Megapanel - 15

Total time = 120 minutes

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

No retro gaming for me in the first week of the new year, but I did finish up my 68 hour playthrough of Ōkami HD on the Switch for the modern tracker! Will I finally get back to the Atari 2600 High Score Club before the season ends? Who knows, but I will be playing whatever sounds fun next week :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Atarian7 said:

Is that a football game?

1 hour ago, onlyinajeep said:

Yeah, it's a wacky port of the arcade game of the same name by Irem/Taito. I never played it before on the NES, I was a bit taken aback when, after an interception, that I was able to play defense :)

Honestly, it is a pretty darn good football and (dare I say) the best outside of the Tecmo games for football on the NES.  One could do a helluva lot worse on the NES for football, that's for sure.

• Like 4