IGNORED

New Atari 800XL Revive Machine?

ojanhk

1 minute ago, reifsnyderb said:

I suspect that was a Tramiel era cost saving measure.   😞

I guess I should admit, though, that with the 800XL I was using to run a BBS, having SpartaDOS X, R-Time 8, and Rev. C BASIC cartridges all stacked on one another in the cartridge slot, if you even breathed on it the wrong way, the system would crash. :D:D

..Al

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

A design must not necessarily have been registered for the time to start running. It only must have been "disclosed" to the public before - which is a fact for nearly 40 years now. ;) 

Yes, I read that, too. So the original brochures from the early eighties are probably enough to overturn this bogus registration.

On 5/6/2023 at 7:25 AM, Philsan said:

As I replied on twitter, whether an arrangement would be not possible, they could produce an internal replacement, possibly with a new keyboard.

People would use old XL/XE cases.

If most people don't care too much about the original case and keyboard, then we already have a "new" FPGA based machine. The Eclaire XL is exactly that and have been "available" (with the chip shortage constrains and limitation) for years:

Or I miss something and this RM is supposed to be something completely different (once you discard an "original like" case and keyboard)?

Edited by ijor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ijor said:

If most people don't care too much about the original case and keyboard, then we already have a "new" FPGA based machine. The Eclaire XL is exactly that and have been "available" (with the chip shortage constrains and limitation) for years:

Or I miss something and this RM is supposed to be something completely different (once you discard an "original like" case and keyboard)?

Is the Eclaire even available? Last I remember it wasn't due to Covid, chip shortages, working on other projects, etc...

5 hours ago, Albert said:

I wish the original 130XE had the cartridge port on the top!  It's a big pain in the butt in the back. 

..Al

I prefer the cart port to be out of the way.  The 800XL annoyed me with the AVGcart and PBI cable on top, it looked so messy.  Was glad to get the XE instead.

7 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

I prefer the cart port to be out of the way.  The 800XL annoyed me with the AVGcart and PBI cable on top, it looked so messy.  Was glad to get the XE instead.

I like the 1200xl best, the side port is a great location, however not being able to fit my AVG cart with the case on it bugs me 

Edited by mimo
spellin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Havok69 said:

Is the Eclaire even available? Last I remember it wasn't due to Covid, chip shortages, working on other projects, etc...

I understand it is currently not available mainly because of the chip shortage. This affects almost every FPGA & CPLD based device, including a potential RM. Seems the chip shortage is finally ending this year, though. So hopefully the Eclaire will be available again shortly.

@foft will correctly me if there are other plans.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mimo said:

Maybe he doesn't ship to the us? 

Anyway it's a right angled cart extender for the xe. Screenshot_20230514-210940.thumb.png.181240090d32306a02af33c95e0fce10.png

Oh - I want one of those.  I have the original ICD double cart adapter, and a repro, but this single unit is awesome regarding space.

Also - am I seeing things, or is there actually a micro SD card above the SIO port?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Oh - I want one of those.  I have the original ICD double cart adapter, and a repro, but this single unit is awesome regarding space.

Also - am I seeing things, or is there actually a micro SD card above the SIO port?

because it is, a thin shroud goes around the sio port and provides support and proper slot for micro sd card.

Btw. one thing to consider regarding keyboard is the length of the space bar. While standard Atari space bar is 9U (1U being width of a standard letter key), modern keyboards mostly use 6.25U length and it's pretty much impossible to get the long space bar anywhere. For the sake of customizability (e.g. getting a keycap set from WASDkeyboards.com), it would be advisable to consider the standard modern space bar for the RM800 keyboard.