IGNORED

New Atari 800XL Revive Machine?

ojanhk

The enjoyable surprise smile isn't bad when it happens naturally in real life... but the plastic in your face close up use of it is so fake that most people just instantly cringe at the sight of it. Celebrity smile class needs more work.

Edited by _The Doctor__

13 hours ago, Havok69 said:

Even if this project never sees the light of day and turns out to be vaporware, I have been introduced to a new term:

and I for one, am better for it. Now I wait and watch for the glorious moment when I am able to use this sublime vernacularism.

Ah, that glorious moment when we are able to drop "thermoverbular wordheads" on lesser mortals! Priceless!   :)

• Like 2

My take is simple and I prefer real existing stuff, present day Mytek stuff, used original consoles on ebay, 3rd party add-ons that you can actually order, emulators that are polished -- it's all real and exists today. That's the deal!

I got bored of the conceptual stuff long long ago thanks to the flying car articles in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science. So now I have a healthy skepticism. And while we wait for something to materialize I'm going to play a couple of games of Enduro or Crystal Castles.

• Like 3

Don't get your wallet ready just yet.

From the comments on this video (which is also only speculating).

RM-Team (the guys behind the RM 800XL got back to me via E-Mail. Here is the text: 

Hello,

thank you for your interest in our RM 800XL.
Design work is currently underway, and the finished product is likely to be available in 2024.
We will keep you informed about the development on Twitter and in the future also on Facebook.
Twitter account: https://twitter.com/rm_800xl

Best regards,
larek
RM Team

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A year away isn't bad all things considered. It's kind of difficult to demand all knowledge when just getting FPGA's today is an expensive chore. Hopefully things will be less expensive and easier to get once again in a year, year and a half or so.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mnemo said:

Don't get your wallet ready just yet.

Which is a point some people may have missed.  Nobody has ever asked for any money upfront.  The worst that can possibly happen is this does not come out, and nobody loses anything.  Let's all have fun in the mean time, and if in 2024 this exists, great.  If not, it's guaranteed other new hardware will if the past 10 years are any indication.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

Nobody has ever asked for any money upfront.  The worst that can possibly happen is this does not come out, and nobody loses anything.

That is a very large part of why I can find this project interesting and hope to see results from it next year: it's containing its risk to the people currently working on it and not asking random people to put their time, money, or effort into it by way of a cheap tug of the nostalgia heartstrings.

It's possible that that opinion may change depending on how the project goes, but for now it seems reasonable to take an approach of, "hmm, nifty, best of luck to them," and wait and see.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Talk of FPGA /Raspberry Pi mostly.

If it's an R-Pi, would it be able to handle all the ports in realtime as they were intended like on the original? Would it read the cartridge slot realtime and not like that dumbass Retron77? What software engine would manage it all? Which emulator? And if "emulator" then might as well just stick with a PC and get the deluxe experience and power/versatility of a complete Windows OS. With Altirra you get a pretty good and complete experience, with new features being added semi-regularly. And no pretending to be real hardware needed on the emulator's part.

If it's FPGA, are they going to equip it with proper level converters so, again, the ports work exactly like the original vintage rig? No fake PBI. Fully working DB9 controller ports, realtime cartridge slot? Will it power up and boot up the same way? In the same amount of time to the millisecond? And more, because if not, then it's just a lowbrow fake I-can-do-that-too "mini".

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:07 PM, Keatah said:

And more, because if not, then it's just a lowbrow fake I-can-do-that-too "mini".

And that's a huge must-have requirement: not following the 'mini' pattern.

I'm actually somewhat optimistic that this particular project won't go down that route.  We'll see, but things (at least initially) seem somewhat promising in that regard.

• Like 2

I wonder what the distribution of duties would be with FPGA+RISC..? Those be some pretty potent buzzwords they're slinging around.

If the RISC portion is there for the processing, then EMULATION! And the FPGA would cover the custom chipset. Could potentially be some weird-ass hybrid emulation and we know how well that worked for RetroBlox and SeeDee.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1