IGNORED

New Atari 800XL Revive Machine?

ojanhk

23 hours ago, oky2000 said:

I lost interest the second I saw HDMI port. FPGA + REAL CRT TV = not good. YMMV but it's not for me. 

If they want to sell me a mint condition case without the keyboard then YES! otherwise, *pass*

I thought the RM800 was supposed to also have composite out?

On 5/8/2023 at 8:31 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Luckily, the XL computer line features more than just one type... and I guess RGL does not have the rights for all of these. ;-)

1200xls.jpg

Having the SELECT, OPTION and START buttons on the top would be nice. I've always liked that better than along the side.  It also allows for the CONTROL RESET to be apart from the other buttons to eliminate accidental presses.

Edited by Troyzilla

On 5/17/2023 at 6:53 PM, Atari Nut said:

Why do you say this?

Just bad experience, old 8bit systems are perfectly designed around the way the electron gun works on a CRT TV, if you start using stuff that offers HDMI via some sort of emulation on a CRT it's usually not usually 100% cycle accurate and can run into problems.  If you don't own 20+ CRT displays like me (or even 1) it's not a problem. It's just not for me, but the case is lovely and I would buy a replacement case for some of my 800XLs that aren't in good condition now like I said.

Obviously for some it makes no difference, just for me personally it's probably not going to be great from other similar FPGA etc based recreations. Not saying it's a bad product, just probably doesn't fit in with my personal requirements that's all. 

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

I would like to understand what functionality might be attractive to you in the neo-retro version of an Atari computer.

I'm interested in this because I am working on various projects myself. At first, it was SAVO XE, SAVO XL. Later, O2/Fixer.

Currently, I am working on new boards like SAVO CLASSIC (aka SAVO rev.2), SAVO+, SAVO MAX, and HAVO (micro HDMI version of SAVO supplied with VBXE's RGB signal).

Upcoming projects involve stereo cards, BT modules for keyboards and joysticks/pads, and turbo cards (MCU and real WDC based).

Best,

Peter

Edited by Piotr D. Kaczorowski
  • Like 4

This 800XL RM Project looks very similar to the Spectrum Next Project, a modern reimagination version with backward compatibility, so it would be interesting to see what the retail price is, as the Spectrum Next has an RRP of 300 GBP?

The Spectrum Next was also Crowdfunded.

Anyone know who the guys are behind it?

6 hours ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

Dear All,

I would like to understand what functionality might be attractive to you in the neo-retro version of an Atari computer.

I'm interested in this because I am working on various projects myself. At first, it was SAVO XE, SAVO XL. Later, O2/Fixer.

Currently, I am working on new boards like SAVO CLASSIC (aka SAVO rev.2), SAVO+, SAVO MAX, and HAVO (micro HDMI version of SAVO supplied with VBXE's RGB signal).

Upcoming projects involve stereo cards, BT modules for keyboards and joysticks/pads, and turbo cards (MCU and real WDC based).

Best,

Peter

This post would be more appropriate in its own topic since you are seeking input for your own project. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

Dear All,

Best,

Peter

Please create another topic, which informs about your new hardware and also describes it a bit. Then a survey or poll makes sense. Without any description of your projects, I cannot answer your questions...

• Like 4

21 hours ago, akator said:

Any news on this?  Or is it dead?

It's been announced that @larek (informal RM spokesperson) will have a speech onstage, on this very subject, at the upcoming sillyventure.eu event. So presumably the project is still alive, and if Larek gets there, he may be willing to share some updates with us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 12:48 AM, martinez said:

It's been announced that @larek (informal RM spokesperson) will have a speech onstage, on this very subject, at the upcoming sillyventure.eu event. So presumably the project is still alive, and if Larek gets there, he may be willing to share some updates with us.

Maybe someone that was at SV 2k23 can summarize what was said by Larek?

36 minutes ago, Dinadan67 said:

I wasn't there, but I got information from colleagues:

- they are waiting for the production of the first PCB prototype
- the end-of-year 2024 deadline has been confirmed

I can ask Larka if that's exactly it, or if there's anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

- stereo

- mechanical keyboard

- all additional hardware/cartridges going to work

- built-in microsd reader (as additional storage)

- built-in some software (games?)

- 2024 date kept

- the UK patent stuff managed

- all got enought $ to invest the whole project

Waiting for more information (sent email to Larek a while ago)

image.thumb.png.de33b796ab7ffc19279d119b8417ba95.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, solo/ng said:

- stereo

- mechanical keyboard

- all additional hardware/cartridges going to work

- built-in microsd reader (as additional storage)

- built-in some software (games?)

- 2024 date kept

- the UK patent stuff managed

- all got enought $ to invest the whole project

Waiting for more information (sent email to Larek a while ago)

image.thumb.png.de33b796ab7ffc19279d119b8417ba95.png

Nice.  Can't wait to get one of these!

the UK patent stuff managed

rotfl... 

It's a waste of money, because another company can do something similar by bypassing IP just like RM bypasses the rights of Atari or other companies that have acquired additional rights.

all got enought $ to invest the whole project

In Poland, we have two types of investors:

• those who say they have money, but "have" to have money
  • those who have access to public funds - this is the case (as far as I know)

The problem with public money is that it must be skillfully spent and later accounted for.

I'm curious whether this will be an investment in burning capital, or an investment based on risk management, and the investor will actually get a return on investment.

If the subject turns into burning money, it will be a noble, enviable patronage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ijor said:

I'm not sure I understand. What's the difference between this and the Eclaire XL by @foft & @santosp? Just a matching case and keyboard? Or I'm missing something here?

This is the big unanswered question because the project is very vague in describing what they intend to create. 

They talk of both FPGA and emulation. 

On 8/24/2023 at 8:14 AM, Dinadan67 said:

Here you are.

They came to the party in a bunch of four, so almost entire RM crew showed up at the event. Here's what they said (note: words in brackets are from me).

They will keep the (computer) release plan in 2024, now they are creating the (computer) design from scratch. They do not post too much on Twitter - it's company policy, they will post something when they have (any new) piece of information (if they can announce a significant progress in certain area). But we will finish this (project, assured one of them). We'll just do it, he said. Andrzej (Andrew, one of those guys) is working on a search engine (a menu for quickly launching programs); finding and running the software will be pleasant and fast. The bloke in the navy blue shirt is responsible for the PCB (motherboard) schematic, by the end of the month (Aug 2023) they will send the board to the fab, the prototype is to be tested next month. Lawyers are unnecessary for now, as they do not violate the IP's of other people or companies. They know some legal eagles just in case, but they keep them at bay. The platform (RM800XL) is based on FPGA, it will not be an emulator but a hardware representation of an Atari (800XL); the CPU will perform unstable (undocumented) opcodes, they are all to be included. There will be a second Pokey, but not a real one, as there won't be any vintage Atari IC's onboard RM800XL. There will be an HDMI and composite output, therefore it will be possible to hook up two monitors (simultaneously?). For developers, they are working on a built-in debugger with stepping through code. Also their goal is to maintain full hardware compatibility, all peripherials for the Atari 8-bit line of computers should work properly if connected (to the RM800XL). They are going to release a proto for selected people (beta testers): if any software won't perform (as on a real Atari), they will work to improve it (compatibility). Some idea popped up at the party: a contest for graphic artists to design a "splash screen" for booting (a computer in game selector mode), they are to announce (such) a contest in the future (probably on Twitter), and they will reward good works (it is not yet known how, but) not only with fame. Larek said that next year will be (a computer, physical product), although probably you shouldn't expect it in Q1 (wink ;). You can set up (the computer, Larek said) to boot in two ways: either to the browser (modern UI, e.g. a carousel type game selector), or (an option for diehard fans) to the Basic interpreter like a genuine 800XL does.

And that was basically all. They encouraged the audience to ask questions, but there were hardly any.

2385A6A0-9628-4C15-9D4C-16F71610D3A7.thumb.jpeg.000637b39a3b500e302aa3293f5ac4ef.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

On 8/28/2023 at 8:34 AM, martinez said:

They came to the party in a bunch of four, so almost entire RM crew showed up at the event. Here's what they said (note: words in brackets are from me).

What you (them) describe seems to me (about) the same thing as the Eclaire XL, that we have for years, plus a nice case and keyboard. Or again, am I missing something?

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

It does sound very similar to an Eclaire XL, but it shouldn't be underestimated how much form factor means. People like having imitations of the original, including the appearance. Also availability is always a factor - different production sources might be able to meet steady volume which is required for good visibility.

18 minutes ago, ijor said:

What you (them) describe seems to me (about) the same thing as the Eclaire XL, that we have for years, plus a nice case and keyboard. Or again, am I missing something?

I find myself thinking the same thing. Maybe if @foft was game they could work out a licensing/royalty deal to use what he already created, and perhaps just lay out a new board to fit the standard size Atari case. Seems like that would save a heck of a lot time and work ;)