IGNORED

New Atari 800XL Revive Machine?

ojanhk

Too funny :)

For all we know this thing might come with a cold-fusion energy source and use a quantum processing core. Hey why not?

Seriously with what little is actually known anything is possible. It would've been nice if the developers had actually started this thread or decided to join it. As it presently stands we have nothing but ??? as to what this system will really be under the cover.

But don't let me stop the conversation. Maybe if it goes on long enough someone will take all the speculation and make it into a spec for an independent production. Now wouldn't that be cool 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mytek said:

For all we know this thing might come with a cold-fusion energy source and use a quantum processing core. Hey why not?

Oscillation overthruster (dilithium-powered), coupled to a flux capacitor-based Cloak & Dagger cartridge containing secret spyplane plans is where my money is at.  Component shortages permitting, of course.

5 hours ago, mytek said:

Seriously with what little is actually known anything is possible. It would've been nice if the developers had actually started this thread or decided to join it. As it presently stands we have nothing but ??? as to what this system will really be under the cover.

Agreed, but then the YouTubers would only be able to parrot known talking points, and it's really hard to whip up hype out of nothing when you're faced with facts.

• Haha 2

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that this guy claims to have owned a 1450XLD back in the day?  Video will start at the point leading up to him making that statement.

He also makes some claims ranging from misinformed to downright wrong about the 5200's software library prior to that point, but none of it paints him as having much of a clue about these things.

• Like 1

Two new Twitter messages from @rm_800xl

"Thank you all very much for the great reception. When starting the RM 800XL project, we expected interest, but such a big response from #atari #retrocomputing #8bit fans pleasantly surprised us."

"Such great interest in the #rm_800xl project made us accelerate our activities and RM 800XL will be on sale in 2024. We will keep you updated on the progress of work."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/16/2023 at 11:15 AM, Stefan Both said:

Isn't Larek involved in development?

Stefan 

got an email response from them that seems to suppor that idea it reads as follows:

Hello,

thank you for your interest in our RM 800XL.
Design work is currently underway, and the finished product is to be available in 2024.
We will keep you informed about the development on Twitter and in the future also on Facebook.
Twitter account: https://twitter.com/rm_800xl

Best regards,
larek
RM Team

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, quincy451 said:

got an email response from them that seems to suppor that idea it reads as follows:

Hello,

thank you for your interest in our RM 800XL.
Design work is currently underway, and the finished product is to be available in 2024.
We will keep you informed about the development on Twitter and in the future also on Facebook.
Twitter account: https://twitter.com/rm_800xl

Best regards,
larek
RM Team

I don't do Twitter or FaceBook so I guess no soup for me (or updated info).

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Luis Montbau said:

So that's it for now. Let's stay tuned to see if this is legit or not...

Here's the thing: it can be legit, but still never come to fruition.  Best of intentions and all that.

Everyone note: I'm not saying that this isn't a legitimate project, or that it won't be seen through.  For the former, my opinion is that it isn't any sort of a scam or similar; for the latter, we'll wait and see what happens.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mytek said:

I don't do Twitter or FaceBook so I guess no soup for me (or updated info).

I don't have Twitter too, but it doesn't mean one can't read what is posted on their address. It can even be embedded here 🙂

Edited by scelbi8h
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I did and didn't see anything of interest. What should I be looking for?

Nothing special. "Sit and wait" is a song by Sydney Youngblood and "all we can do is sit and wait" is part of its lyrics.

(Simply changed "all we can do is wait" into "all we can do is sit and wait" to match the songs lyrics, thats all.)

One says "google this!" to find something, which I simply changed into "youtube this!" to find the music video.

(If you type in "sit and wait" into the youtube search, the Sydney Youngblood video will appear first.)

There was a live stream (in polish) with two persons from the project:

I did a summary for non-polish speakers:

- 6502 FPGA (not asic but true FPGA chip)
- additional CPU instructions (like 'bra') FROM 6502 series
- more than 1MB RAM (like 4MB+)
- pokey stereo (covox in the thinking)
- all original Atari signals (like SIO audio) are included
- all peripherals will work (like SIDE3 or AVG CART)
- generally 100% compatible with original 800XL
- all USB controllers going to work (from bootleg ones to PS5 controllers)
- can use usb dongle for internet connection (for XL/XE)
- they try to avoid cheap chinese parts

- can use pendrive as storage data (similar to microsd carts in other projects)
- no problems with any patents (they checked), almost all are public (auto released because 25 years)
- can use both video outs and the same time (svideo and hdmi)

- gamestate saves going to be in the system (and other cool features like this)
- nothing yet about RISC CPU and how we can use it 
- two starting modes: original 800XL or improved with UI (more information later)
- some built-in games (like Laura and more)

- production in EU (not in China)
- confirmed 2024 release date (not Q1)
- no kickstarter etc (in house funding)

- project is for some earnings but main idea is "create new cool atari for the community"
- after initial full release, after a while - all going to be open sourced
- price: TBA (but promising not making it very high)
- possible other machines in future (after RM800XL)

- there going to be a big announcement for the project and it should make the community excited (TBA)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 14

On 4/29/2023 at 2:21 PM, solo/ng said:

There was a live stream (in polish) with two persons from the project:

I did a summary for non-polish speakers:

- can use both video outs and the same time (svideo and hdmi)

- gamestate saves going to be in the system (and other cool features like this)
- nothing yet about RISC CPU and how we can use it 
- two starting modes: original 800XL or improved with UI (more information later)
- some built-in games (like Laura and more)

- production in EU (not in China)
- confirmed 2024 release date (not Q1)
- no kickstarter etc (in house funding)

- project is for some earnings but main idea is "create new cool atari for the community"
- after initial full release, after a while - all going to be open sourced
- price: TBA (but promising not making it very high)
- possible other machines in future (after RM800XL)

- there going to be a big announcement for the project and it should make the community excited (TBA)

Did they mention if you'd be able to use the two USB joystick ports and two joystick ports all at the same time?  It would be so awesome to play 4 player MULE out of the box with this thing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Troyzilla said:

Did they mention if you'd be able to use the two USB joystick ports and two joystick ports all at the same time?  It would be so awesome to play 4 player MULE out of the box with this thing.

For now its 800XL compatible so two joysticks (but they were talking about this feature and not closing the door yet).

On 4/22/2023 at 10:38 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that this guy claims to have owned a 1450XLD back in the day?  Video will start at the point leading up to him making that statement.

He also makes some claims ranging from misinformed to downright wrong about the 5200's software library prior to that point, but none of it paints him as having much of a clue about these things.

The comments have a lot of people who seem interested in buying one. Maybe jump in and let them know about the new production ataris that actually exist and atariage. Get some new users. :)

4 hours ago, sl0re said:

The comments have a lot of people who seem interested in buying one.

The question, however, is how many of them will actually pony up the cash if / when this sees production.

4 hours ago, sl0re said:

Maybe jump in and let them know about the new production ataris that actually exist and atariage. Get some new users. :)

Which 'new production Ataris' are you referring to?

I'm all for new folks joining the fray, but hope that they can temper their expectations a bit when it comes to as-yet unreleased hardware*.

* Standard disclaimer applies: no, I don't think it's a scam.  Yes, I hope that it will reach production.  No, I'm not going to cheerlead for a product that's not available yet though I do wish the development team the best of luck.  Yes, I'm having to write this because common sense and civility go out the window the moment that OMG SLAP AN ATARI LOGO ON IT is announced.  Your mileage may vary.  Void in the Austro-Hungarian empire, Prussia, and Grand Duchy of Fenwick.

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The question, however, is how many of them will actually pony up the cash if / when this sees production.

Which 'new production Ataris' are you referring to?

I'm all for new folks joining the fray, but hope that they can temper their expectations a bit when it comes to as-yet unreleased hardware*.

* Standard disclaimer applies: no, I don't think it's a scam.  Yes, I hope that it will reach production.  No, I'm not going to cheerlead for a product that's not available yet though I do wish the development team the best of luck.  Yes, I'm having to write this because common sense and civility go out the window the moment that OMG SLAP AN ATARI LOGO ON IT is announced.  Your mileage may vary.  Void in the Austro-Hungarian empire, Prussia, and Grand Duchy of Fenwick.

The nuc and xld. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sl0re said:

The nuc and xld. 

Ah, OK.  Now I understand.  The phrase, "new production Ataris," is where the confusion crept in - while I won't argue that these are undeniably Atari machines, they're not ones made by Atari SA.  They're also much better off for it :D

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Don't forget the XEL.

Same goes for it, too ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1